Love & Marriage

Featured Posts
riahblue
Is education important in this economy?
November 18, 2012 at 6:16 PM
I want to go back to school to receive my masters or a BS. My husband hasn't been so supportive and we're stuck between him retiring to start his own business above me going back to school. Fustrated.

Replies

• Queen_Sheila
    November 18, 2012 at 6:18 PM

I know how you feel, I wanted to go to school to get a better job, I want to be a nurse, but right now I'm the only one working.

• flowerfunleah
    November 18, 2012 at 6:23 PM

The answer is yes. YES it is. 

Just go along with the system, get the damn degree, but I wouldnt get TOO high of a degree because businesses will either turn you down because you're "over experienced" or they'll turn you down because you're degree is too high and they don't want to pay you that much.

• riahblue
    November 18, 2012 at 6:26 PM
    Well I have a BA already but I understand what you mean. I don't want to be over qualified but I want to go because it does matter to me. My husband feels like he's made it off his BS degree so lets forget about school and start his business but that's just it. It's his business not mine
    by 98765
    November 18, 2012 at 8:48 PM
    I feel education is ALWAYS important. That said, my husband finished his MBA a year and a half ago and has not been able to advance since. But i KNOW one day it will pay off.

Go for it!
  • CameronsMommy23
    November 18, 2012 at 8:50 PM
    I'd chose school over him quitting and tying to start a business. That's too risky IMO.
  • tennisgal
    November 18, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Hmmm..Im stuck on this. You dont say what your Masters will be in, so it may be worth it, it may not. I also think the education that has become most important isn't necessarily book smarts, but hands-on type work. Unless you are going into the medical field...then i think any advancement in education is probably immediately rewarded. 

• Hottmomma607
    November 18, 2012 at 9:19 PM
    Education is always important!
  • riahblue
    November 18, 2012 at 9:30 PM
    Well the problem is not about him quitting. He has 30 years in the workforce and 2 pensions from when he was a trader (on Wall St.) and the firm he's at now IT. Its about me being able to get more skills and something more to put on my Resume and eventually progress in my career. I put myself on hold for our children and I just want more access to opportunities despite life and the economy.
  • kaitybird
    November 19, 2012 at 4:29 PM

I think if it is something you want to do then go for it.  Why not take some courses that way you could help your husband run his business and you 2 be partners?  That is something I could and would do!  :)  Good luck to you.

• arthistmom
    November 19, 2012 at 4:57 PM
    Education is important for finding a job but also for one's own self-fulfillment. Since pursuing a higher degree seems important to you, I'd ask your husband why he's not supportive of your dreams.

Love & Marriage

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts