Love & Marriage

Featured Posts
manamott
Have you ever...
January 6, 2011 at 5:48 PM

I just started reading "The Five Love Languages" by Gary Chapman! I am only about 1/3 into it and it has already opened my eyes SO much!! I have discovered that my love language is Acts of Service which means my husband can show his love for me by helping me out with things. And his love language is Words of Affirmation which means I should be telling him the things I appreciate that he does and I should be speaking kindly to him to get better results.

I'll be the first to admit, I am not good at that. I feel like he should just know how I feel and I do things to show him by helping him out...but that's not his love language, it's mine!! It has totally made me understand and help to pay more attention to the words I am saying to him everyday!

So has anyone else read this book?! I highly recommend it to anyone. Even if your marriage is not struggling! We rarely fight or anything and haven't been married that long but I can tell you already this is going to make us even closer as a married couple!!!!

Sorry, I am just really excited about this! lol

Replies

• manamott
    January 6, 2011 at 7:17 PM

I don't think my husband will have time to read it either. I'm just going to explain to him what I read about my love language and let him take it from there!

Quoting Colie68:

Sounds good but then how would he know to help me out? He would never read the book :-(

• manamott
    January 6, 2011 at 7:18 PM

I imagine that's frustrating. If he's not willing to try it out there's not much you can do I guess. Unless maybe he'll let you just talk to him about it after you read it?!

Quoting SareyF:

I did read it and found it helpful but still am puzzled as for what his love language is and he refuses to read the book or give any of it any thought. :/

• Ohio.SAHMof2
    January 6, 2011 at 7:21 PM

That's awesome. I never thought about it to be honest with you. I will have to get it.

• AthenasMommy88
    January 6, 2011 at 7:24 PM

I have read parts of it, it's been awhile though. I probly should get it and read through the whole thing

• Amy614
    by Amy614
    January 6, 2011 at 7:41 PM

I have read "The 5 Love Languages for Children", which is by the same author, and is a fantastic book also.  I have requested this one at my local library, but haven't gotten to the top of the list yet; it is pretty popular.  But, I look forward to reading it!  Hoping it helps me and my DH understand eachother a little better.

• TIFFANYT1432
    January 6, 2011 at 9:31 PM
    I really liked it, bc it helped ME so much...but not really my marriage. I found out my Love Language was Affection.. I need to be hugged, kissed, held, rubbed, touch, etc... And if I don't get that, I feel as tho my husband literally HATES ME! I know its crazy, but thats how I feel... And while telling my husband that didnt really change much between us, it helped me to kinda understand what was going on with me.. So I agree, everyone should read it! :)
  • manamott
    January 7, 2011 at 10:59 AM

Exactly! I have figured out where I am lacking and where I need him to step up! I never knew before! And even if he doesn't have the time to read the book, I told him about all I learned about us and he agreed to work on it with me. All he had to do was take the quiz.

Quoting TIFFANYT1432:

I really liked it, bc it helped ME so much...but not really my marriage. I found out my Love Language was Affection.. I need to be hugged, kissed, held, rubbed, touch, etc... And if I don't get that, I feel as tho my husband literally HATES ME! I know its crazy, but thats how I feel... And while telling my husband that didnt really change much between us, it helped me to kinda understand what was going on with me.. So I agree, everyone should read it! :)

• manamott
    January 7, 2011 at 11:00 AM

Oooh I'm SO reading that next!!! They have a small section on your children in this book but I would love to go more in depth. I think that is absolutely awesome!

Quoting Amy614:

I have read "The 5 Love Languages for Children", which is by the same author, and is a fantastic book also.  I have requested this one at my local library, but haven't gotten to the top of the list yet; it is pretty popular.  But, I look forward to reading it!  Hoping it helps me and my DH understand eachother a little better.

Love & Marriage

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts