Love & Marriage

LovelyMother88
Why would he pick marijuana over his wife??
January 4, 2011 at 12:44 AM

I don't remember if I posted the first post about this in this group or not, so I'll run through it real quick again.

My friend left her hubby a couple of weeks ago because she had caught him for the 4th or 5th time smoking weed. She had made it very clear that she did not want anything like that to be a part of their married life together, and he "agreed" to it. He promised every time that he would change. Well this past time he promised her that he would stop forever and to please come home because he loved her, yadda yadda. So reluctantly, she did. She told him that they needed to do counseling...and the whole nine yards. And she reiterated that if she caught him again she would leave for good.

Well she called me today and she told me how good she thought he was doing, and she really hoped he would stick to his word this time. Then an hour later she called me back and told me she caught him again!!! 8 days. It had only been 8 days and he just HAD to smoke again. She left. For good.

I don't know what his problem is. I know he loves her, I have known them both since we were in junior high. I thought weed wasn't addictive?? Would he really rather smoke weed than be with his wife? I really don't get it... They have been together since they were 14...

Replies

• Serenity7
    January 4, 2011 at 12:19 PM

In my opinion only her husband can answer this question. However it may not be as simple as he chose marijuana over her. If a person is not walking in someone shoes, they have no idea what the person is going through.

• 3mommy3
    by 3mommy3
    January 4, 2011 at 12:21 PM

Yea, I didn't get that at all either. Her stating what she expected from him in their marriage/as a parent, and actually standing by her word makes her his mom????? She expects him to keep his word...How dare a wife do that and, when he doesn't, she keeps hers. I guess I am lost, b/c I definitely agree with her as a "spouse".

Quoting LovelyMother88:

hmm...I didn't get that at all from their relationship. If my husband ever chose a drug over me I would leave too.

Quoting EireLass:

I think you're missing a big part of it. You're 2nd paragraph is very telling about their relationship. She is not acting the partner/wife....she is acting the mother/boss. 

• emore626
    January 4, 2011 at 1:05 PM

I don't know much about WEED but I do know about addictions, and I know a girl that says it's not an addictive drug, but as far as I know she has been doing it over 15 yrs.... so there has to be something that she is addicted to maybe like someone else said it maybe the "high" idk..maybe it's the same for this man....

I am totally on the girls side because she knows her limits and how much she will take because it is putting a strain in their marriage regardless of their love for eachother.  She is very strong and did keep her word!!  that is admirable!  And this man has to have accountablity and the wife has a right to demand it!

Love & Marriage