Meal Planning

CafeMom Team
*UPDATED with Video* How do you turn mealtime into quality time with your family?
April 30, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Chaotic family schedules can often make dinner time a challenge, but it doesn't have to be!

We gave 25 moms the opportunity to try Tyson® Crispy Chicken Strips with their families. See what they're saying!

Tell Us... How do you turn mealtime into quality time with your family?

We look forward to hearing from you!

Sincerely,

The CafeMom Team  

Check out the fun video montage of our members!

CafeMom gives moms an opportunity to try our advertisers' products. In return, we ask our moms to share their true experiences and honest opinions. To learn how you can be an influencer, click here.

Replies

• SP_Mama
    by SP_Mama

I have a family of 4.  There's me, DH, my SS who's 7, and then DS who's 6.  My SS is really into Lego's and is starting to play baseball with DH as a hobby.  He's also great at drawing.  DS is into reading and video games and also starting to play baseball.  They both recently joined the Cub Scouts and we are looking forward the adventures we'l have in the Scouts.

Dinner time is important to our family because it's really the only meal where we all gather around the table and eat together.  We turn some music on lightly in the background and enjoy the family time.

My husband and I usually take turns making dinner, though we help each other out often.  When it's all done, we all gather to the table and turn the music on and get started on dinner.

I can't really think of a really great story that happened during dinner, but during dinner the boys usually keep us quite entertained with stories from school or the park.  Some days, they have so much to say it's like pulling teeth trying to get them to eat because they are talking a mile a minute.  *L*

We are looking forward to trying the Tyson Crispy Chicken Strips.  Both boys love to eat chicken and while we've never tried the Tyson Crispy Chicken Strips, we have had the Tyson Fun Nuggets and those are big hit here.  I expect the Crispy Chicken Strips will too.  We will probably make them for a supper one night with some yummy side dishes to go with them.

• mewebb82

My husband and I have 3 kids ages 12, 6, and 4 months. My brother lives with us as well. My oldest son has always been a science and video game kid, but is starting to get interested in football and will be playing next year. My 6 yr. old daughter is into crafting, dancing, and swimming. And my 4 month old son is just generally happy watching everything going on around him.

We try to sit down for dinner as a family at least 3-4 days per week, but our schedules are kind of chaotic right now between my husband's long hours and the kids' extracurriculars. Hopefully my husband's schedule will slow down soon and we can have more family mealtimes again. When we do get to sit down for dinner as a family, we like to catch up on what has been going on in our lives and what our day was like. My daughter loves to help out with cooking and my oldest son helps when asked mainly with simple side dishes, setting the table, or helping out with his baby brother while I'm cooking. 

We are looking forward to trying the Tyson Crispy Chicken Strips. I'm sure it will be a nice quick meal along with a few veggie sides on one of our busier nights.

• SunnyDayz-Ahead
    I have 2 boys ages 12 and 7. The little one loves to play outside, fish, explore the forest, and camp. My older son loves to ride his bike, play video games, hang with friends, and go to the movies. My husband, the boys and I eat dinner every night, we always have and I hope that continues. Eating dinner as a family is very important to me, it gives all of us a chance to talk about our day and I believe it instills a sense of love, values and open communication within our boys. :)
  • mumsy2three

We are a family of 5~ our oldest and only dd is 19, we have 2 boys aged 10(will be 11 next week) and 8.

Our dd graduated from high school last year and now works full time. She is currently living at home and saving money to get an apartment with her boyfriend. Our oldest son plays football and basket ball in our local youth league. He also likes hanging out with his best friends, building with Legos and playing video games. Our youngest son is playing Little League baseball for the first time this year and loves it! He also enjoys drawing, playing Army/soldier and playing video games.

Meal time is family time for us. We are all going in different directions through the day, throughout the week and dinner is the one time that we all sit down together, including our dd if she's not working, and catch up with one another. We don't have traditions during dinner other than it's always served at the dining room table and everyone sits down together to eat. On the rare occasion we'll eat pizza in the living room, but we're all still together.

I can't think of a specific story from a recent dinnertime but there is always good conversation about school or work and laughter happening while we eat.

I am looking forward to trying Tyson crispy chicken strips in the near future, I can't wait for my stuff to be delivered. I am thinking about using them in a recipe we've had before that uses chicken strips. If it turns out well I'll share the recipe :)

• Sama2Mamma
    We are a family of 5. We have a 9 year old daughter, 6 year old son, and 13 month old son. My children are not in any special programs or actvities due to financial issues. However, they are very active amd enjoy riding their bikes, climbing in trees, and annoying our neighbors with all their loud laughter as they play outside :)
    Dinner isnt anything special to us. Its just another meal. We dont do anything special. If we did then they would take forever to finish eating. On average they take an hour to eat dinner. Like i said, very active children lol. My children do like to "help" me with dinner every now and then.
  • jessymoka

Right now we are a family of 5, expecting our 4th child in July, so soon to be 6.

Our family is generally pretty busy, and I try to keep healthy, easy foods around. When we do sit down at the table it's typically a four course meal.

I used my coupon and gift card today on our crispy strips... Thank you Cafemom!

• jen113000

I am a family of four. Myself, husband and two growing boys! They are seven and almost four!! My oldest son is very busy between his sports. He does tang soo do karate and baseball! We also love being outside. You will find us out riding bikes, playing at the playground or taking walks together! Sometimes meal time needs to be easy for me. Especially with doing homework then heading off to the sports activities for the day! I usually have dinner ready to go by 4:45-5pm every night. That way we have time to eat and time to digest before heading out. We don't currently have any family traditions for our dinner table. But that is a time when we do talk about our day. I ask my boys how school was and what was the best part of their day. I am looking forward to trying the Tyson Crispy chicken strips! My husband is super excited! We can't wait to get our package!

• pamelakeller

Hello everyone!  I am a 45 year old SAHM with 4 Boys, Tristan (10 years old), Alexander (8 years old), Lucas (5 years old), and Adam (2 years old).  My boys are not in any sports as of yet, but they do enoy spending time outside when the weather is nice.  As  typical boys, I always find them climbing trees, riding bikes, and running around just playing outside

When we are all in the same place at the same time, family dinners are extremely important.  It gives us a chance to sit around a table as a family and talk about our day.  It is also important for us to have easy and quick dinners as well, especially when the kids have places they need to be (i.e. AWANAS, school functions, etc).  As for dinner prep, my older two boys, are learning to help around the kitchen, so they help with prep, or cook the easy dinners. 

I especially love the holiday dinners.  Here, we set the table with the fine china and flatwear.  My boys help by setting the table, dinner prep, and help put the bowls of food out on the table.  Once everything is out on the table, we all sit around and say prayers before our meal.  Then we serve  the dishes and enjoy our meal talking to one another about our day or something special that happened to us.

I am looking forward purchasing the tyson products for my family to have for dinner.  Something that I or my older kids can make for dinner, especially on busy evenings.

• momofcrazypants

Right now we are a family of 4, my DD is almost 13 and DS is 3. DD is pretty busy with school and Taekwondo but enjoys anything video game related or anime related in her free time. DS is an aspiring graffitti artist and is always busy "tagging" our house with his assortment of crayons. DH works full time and I currently and happily stay home with the kiddos.

Dinner is important to our family because it is really the only meal that all of us get to enjoy together. DD is at school and DH is at work so during the day it's just DS and I. Both DH and I grew up in families that shared mealtimes together and we think it's important to give that to our children as well. TV goes off and the only thing we have for background noise is soft music and the conversation about how our day went. Prepping and everything is usually up to me, but it's probably "safer" that way since DH isn't that fond of cooking and DD is totally uninterested. If you left those two in the kitchen it's unpredictable what would happen and I could honestly say that it probably wouldn't be edible either. Lol. I have no great stories about  dinnertime, just that we just enjoy each other's company and DD is such a motormouth, we're always entertained. We are excited about the Tyson influcencer. Got the coupon yesterday and plan on going to retrieve my product from the store tomorrow! Thanks, cafemom!!!

• zoo003
    by zoo003

My husband and I have 3 kids that are 15, 13, and 11 years old.  They are very active kids who are usually involved in various sports that include soccer, football and swimming.  For us, dinner is very important.  It is a time where everyone comes together and discusses his/her day, talk about any issues he/she may have, joke, laugh, and kid around.  It is basically our together time in a day.   I am looking forward to trying Tyson's Chicken Strips. 

Meal Planning