Meal Planning

Cafe MichelleP
Do You Shop At Trader Joe's?
December 3, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Frozen Chicken & Rice Recall Could Ruin Your Dinner

Posted by Maressa Brown

butter chickenForget cantaloupe, beef, and peanut butter ... Now it's time to worry about certain frozen chicken dinners. U.S. and Canadian officials have noted that 4,865 pounds of Trader Joe's frozen butter chicken and rice were recalled for possible Listeria contamination. The recall is already sounding similar to the widespread ground beef one from a couple months back, being that it also was imported from Canada.

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency and Aliya's Foods Ltd. are conducting the recall and will verify U.S. companies sent shipments of the recalled products have been notified and have removed them from sale. In the meantime, we should all smack our foreheads. Really, why does this continue to happen?

I know we're going to die no matter what, but it really galls me that it's as if we have to constantly question what -- if anything -- is safe to eat. Especially when these kinds of foods -- considered "ready-to-eat" -- are supposedly always subject to pathogen testing.

Well, at least they caught this product before too many were distributed. As of this weekend, 19 cartons of product were on hold at the distribution center, and 240 cartons have been distributed to Trader Joe's retail stores. Trader Joe's has instructed the stores to pull the recalled items off the shelf. The FDA said the recalled products may have gone to 18 stores in New York, 17 in Massachusetts, 13 in Virginia, 11 in New Jersey, nine in Pennsylvania, eight in Maryland and North Carolina, six in Connecticut, three in Florida, two each in New Hampshire and South Carolina, one each in Delaware, the District of Columbia, Maine and Rhode Island. Eesh!

So, if you shop at Joe's, you can be sure you're not purchasing the recalled item by checking 12.5-ounce boxes of Trader Joe's Butter Chicken with Basmati Rice for product code 2012-10-31 and lot code 30512. In the meantime, it seems the best way to guard against the affected products is keeping your eyes peeled for any updates on related recalls. Because the way these things have been going lately, another one may not be far behind.

Do you shop at Trader Joe's?

Does this recall concern you?

Replies

• PortiaRose
    December 3, 2012 at 12:28 PM
    I don't. Too expensive.
  • lillucky8
    December 3, 2012 at 12:28 PM
    We dont have trader joes close, so im not concerned
  • michiganmom116
    December 3, 2012 at 12:30 PM
    We don't have a TJ anywhere near us that I know, and this recall doesn't concern me.
  • andrea96
    December 3, 2012 at 12:35 PM

I don't, because the parking lot is way too small.

• Mena929
    by Mena929
    December 3, 2012 at 12:36 PM

I don't shop there, sometimes I will go in for something specific that they have though.

• starlight1968
    December 3, 2012 at 12:58 PM

we did when they first opened but have not since the last recall..there was sooo many of them dh said we weren't driving all the way their anymore...he was disapointed cause he liked several things we've bought in the past...

• meluvja
    by meluvja
    December 3, 2012 at 1:18 PM

There's not a trader joes anywhere near me, so I have never shopped there. 

• August07Mom
    December 3, 2012 at 1:22 PM

We don't have a Trader Joes close to us. No concern here.

• eesmommy
    December 3, 2012 at 1:23 PM
    I don't buy premade foods like that soooo not a worry here.
  • aenima49
    December 3, 2012 at 3:09 PM

We don't have one!

Meal Planning