The Park Bench

maciymommieof3
Holiday catalog shows boys with dolls, girls with guns
November 26, 2012 at 7:41 AM

Christmas catalog features boys with dolls, girls with guns

Sweden’s top toy chain has released a gender neutral Christmas catalog after it was criticized for stereotyping.

The catalog from Top Toy, the franchise holder of Toys R Us in Sweden, shows a boy playing with a baby doll instead of a girl, and a girl holding a toy machine gun, AFP reports.

"For several years, we have found that the gender debate has grown so strong in the Swedish market that we ... have had to adjust," said Jan Nyberg, the director of sales at Top Toy.

The company made the switch after Sweden’s advertising watchdog scolded it for publishing a 2008 catalog that featured boys in superhero costumes and girls playing princesses.

"With the new gender thinking, there is nothing that is right or wrong. It's not a boy or a girl thing, it's a toy for children," Nyberg told AFP.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/11/25/swedish-toy-chain-releases-gender-neutral-christmas-catalog-featuring-boys-with/?test=latestnews#ixzz2DKe5jdI1

Replies

• VintageWife
    November 26, 2012 at 8:48 AM

My boys play with dolls and my girl plays with guns (even though they each play with the other more) and I don't get why anyone would be offended to see little boys and girls playing with stereotypical things. There's no rule that says you have to buy it for that gender just because you see it in a catalog!

• A_McCool
    November 26, 2012 at 9:27 AM

How is this news?

• snuggiewoogie
    November 26, 2012 at 11:56 AM

It's fine! I think it ok :)

• EireLass
    November 26, 2012 at 2:04 PM

I don't think it's a big deal if it's something THEY are drawn to. I don't think any interest should be pushed on anyone, child or adult.

So this is my son with "Andy"....a gift my sister-in-law made for all the boys in the families, and she made Annie for all the girls. He loved this doll. He stopped carrying it when he was ready. I'm going to guess about 4.

The bottom is my daughter with a .44 Of course, she's not a little kid in this pic, but you get the idea. They do what they do, and become what they become.

They're now 33 & 30.

• CoeyG
    by CoeyG
    November 26, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Shannon played with toy guns as a child.  She had RC cars and a race track set as well as an erector set and "boy" colored legos, lincoln logs, she wasn't into Barbies and bby dolls

• mhmomma
    by mhmomma
    November 26, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Doesn't bother me in the least.  My kids play with what they want to play with.  They are exploring and figuring out who they are

• Charli627
    November 26, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Quoting mhmomma:

Doesn't bother me in the least.  My kids play with what they want to play with.  They are exploring and figuring out who they are

• Charizma77
    November 26, 2012 at 9:39 PM

No biggie!

• 1Redapple
    November 26, 2012 at 10:49 PM

I liked guns when I was little.  My son hated the baby doll I bought for him. I read that it would prpare him for his new brother. He was only 2 at the time.  I supose some people just have to pose their view on others no matter what. Mostly boys are boys and girls are girls, If my two year old had liked the doll I would have been fine with that.

• letstalk747
    November 26, 2012 at 10:54 PM

yeah , no biggie

The Park Bench