The Park Bench

Cafe Steph
Sneezing Attack Kills Mom & Injures Toddler Out for a Drive - Do you ever sneeze while driving?
November 19, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Sneezing Attack Kills Mom & Injures Toddler Out for a Drive

Posted by Kiri Blakeley on November 19, 2012 

We hear a lot about the dangers of drinking while driving and texting while driving, but little about another cause of accidents when a driver is impaired -- sneezing while driving. Last week, 30-year-old mother Laura McClendon was killed and her 1-year-old son was left injured and motherless after another driver crossed the median line and ran into Laura -- because, she says, she was having a sneezing attack.

Friends are "trying to wrap [their] heads around" what happened to Laura. They say that she was "just getting her act together as a single mom" and had taken a new job and was doing well in her career when tragedy struck. Unfortunately, Laura wasn't wearing a seatbelt, which could have saved her life. Her son survived but is in serious condition in the hospital -- and, of course, lost his mother at a horribly young age.

Police say they are looking into whether there could have been another cause for the accident -- such as texting -- and the driver, 44-year-old Kathryn Brady, was charged with careless and imprudent driving. She also had no insurance.

Believe it or not, cops say that deadly sneezing car accidents aren't that uncommon. Last year, a man in Maryland says he began sneezing and ran off the road into a tree. His passenger died. In England, a man rammed into the back of another car and killed the driver. He also said he'd been sneezing. One study even says that people with a cold drive 50 percent worse than healthy drivers.

Sneezing attacks can come on all of a sudden, but it's imperative if you begin to feel one coming in that you slow down the car and begin to move towards the breakdown lane so you don't veer into traffic. And, of course, everyone should wear seatbelts.

This is really one of those random freak accidents that makes you never want to leave your house again. But, since we can't do that, it's best to take as many precautions as you can.

Do you ever sneeze while driving?

Replies

• VintageWife
    November 20, 2012 at 1:15 AM

I have sneezing attacks too and pull over as soon as I can.

• IhartU
    by IhartU
    November 20, 2012 at 9:51 AM

I don't drive but I do have huge sneezing attacks- like 15 to 20 sneezes in a row, and when that's going on, there is no way you can see, hear or even concentrate on what's going on around you.  I never even thought about it happening to drives- how scary!

• sweetmissy_05
    November 20, 2012 at 9:52 AM
    Only when my allergies are kicking my butt or I have a bad cold...how sad.
  • Mrs.Pedro
    November 20, 2012 at 10:01 AM
    I don't get sneezing attacks thankfully, but my sister had them until her early-mid twenties. She'd have like 14 sneezes all at one time. Once she and I were in my dad's truck driving back home on his drive way. We got about 20 feet from the porch(right in front of the driveway), and she had an attack. She tried to hit the brakes but accidentally hit the accelerator... She ended up knocking his mobile home a couple inches off the cinder block foundation it was on and putting a decent dent in the bumper. Thankfully there wasn't really any other damage.
  • HTMommy
    by HTMommy
    November 20, 2012 at 9:06 PM

I rarely sneeze actually. I just get congested to where I can't breathe

• merryvoice
    November 21, 2012 at 2:53 AM
    This is one of the weirdest things I've ever heard. I sneeze while driving sometimes and never veered off-course but I guess some people have really bad sneezing fits.
  • Reese2010727
    November 21, 2012 at 12:47 PM

That's so sad. I believe that the most I have sneezed while driving is 3 times and that scared the life out of me.

The Park Bench

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts