The Park Bench

CafeMom Team
Life Insurance
August 30, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Do you or  your husband have life insurance? Did you get it when you got married?

Replies

• dingysfamily
    August 30, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Dh has a policy from his place of employment & a policy we pay for separately.  I only have one through his place of employment.  Unfortunately, when we tried to get me a private one, I was turned down b/c of my open-heart surgery, they said I had to wait 5 years before they would consider me no longer a high-risk; & also one of the test showed some high something or other (I forget just now) that could have been caused by certain meds or b/c of being an alcoholic ... they had documentation that I'd been taking the med (for high bp) for several years, but chose to deny me because they chose to think I was an alcoholic (for it to read like it did you would have to be an alcolholic, not just a casual drinker ... & I drink maybe 4-6 drinks a year period!).  I will try again for a private policy w/in the next year, before dh retires, but we realize it won't be cheap b/c of my age.  Dh says all I need is just enough to cover funeral expensives; we aren't concerned with leaving a bunch of money to our kids ... heck the 4 older ones have higher incomes than we do!!

• sarah427
    August 30, 2012 at 6:09 PM

We both are insured according to our needs. Work insurance is a "bonus" since a disability, losing the job, and retirement can all affect work benefits. Most people don't realize how much a death can affect a family. For instance, if I were to lose my dh (hope I never do), I would have his final medical, his burial, and our family income would instantly go way down, as dh makes much more than I do. Without enough insurance, I would immediately have to work a lot more instead of continuing or increasing my work in increments and being there for my children while they deal with the loss of their father. Sending them to college, or helping, would be harder. Just keeping our current home would be harder. So we each have enough for the other to transition, and leave enough to help our children with major milestones (like college and marriage).

• diaperstodating
    August 30, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Yes we do. We got them after we got married.

• CoeyG
    by CoeyG
    August 30, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Not married but no I have no life insurance...can't afford it right now.  

• snuggiewoogie
    August 30, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Nope..... None here!

• VintageWife
    August 30, 2012 at 8:57 PM

I don't know if we do anymore or not since he retired.

• Mom2NandJ
    August 31, 2012 at 7:17 AM
    Hubby and I have private life insurance and he has a policy through his work. We also have policys for our boys who are teens.
  • dazzle473
    August 31, 2012 at 7:58 AM

Dealing with State Farm to get myself some Term. Currently only have it on job.

• Lindalou907
    August 31, 2012 at 10:33 PM

I don't have any,husband is insured for $700,000. it costs us $120 I think a month because he's a smoker in his 50's. It's a group policy through his employer.

• MansfieldMama
    August 31, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Yes, we have life insurance.  I don't remember exactly when we got it.  It seems like we've had it forever; we've been married for 18 years, and I know we've had it the entire time we've been married.  We may have gotten it before we got married.  I just don't remember.  We also have wills and other necessary documents.

The Park Bench