Featured Posts
johnny4ever
USPS to end Saturday Delivery
February 6, 2013 at 9:15 AM

U.S. Postal Service to End Saturday Mail Delivery

Feb 6, 2013 8:28am
gty us postal service lpl 130206 wblog U.S. Postal Service to End Saturday Mail Delivery

(Image Credit: Victor J. Blue/Bloomberg via Getty Images)

Weekend mail delivery is about to come to an end.

The U.S. Postal Service will stop delivering mail on Saturdays, but will continue to deliver packages six days a week, a congressional source says.  The USPS is expected to make the announcement at a news conference this morning.

While post offices that open on Saturdays will continue to do so, the initiative, which is expected to begin the first week of August, will save an estimated $2 billion annually.

The service reduction is the latest of Postal Service steps to cut costs as the independent agency of the U.S. government struggles with its finances.

The USPS announced in May it was cutting back on the number of operating hours instead of shuttering 3,700 rural post offices. The move, which reduced hours of operation at 13,000 rural post offices from an eight-hour day to between two and six hours a day, was made with the aim of saving about $500 million per year.

The cutback in hours last year resulted in 9,000 full-time postal employees’ being reduced to part time plus the loss of their benefits, while another 4,000 full-time employees became part time but kept their benefits.

Replies

• hugss
    by hugss
    February 6, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Wow!  Kind of sad to hear this :(

• QuiltLover
    February 6, 2013 at 10:06 AM

I think it is ridiculous, we that live in rural areas are cut first making, again, the american people to either change their routine or spend more in gas gping to the Post Office....yes, I realize I can do what I need to do on the weekdays, again....changing routines...the cuts need to be in Washington D.C., starting with the decisions being made there.

• Tameez
    by Tameez
    February 6, 2013 at 10:07 AM

This TOTALLY PISSES me off!  This is the only day that I get to chase the mailman down the street!   LOL :)

• CoolMommyofboys
    February 6, 2013 at 10:08 AM

sounds like a good idea to me

I don't get my mail every day anyways so I won't miss it

• cafay
    by cafay
    February 7, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Wont affect me, though I do kind of feel it's a shame. But it does affect my postlady. And she's a friend, so I feel bad for her more than anything!

• Mommyof2114
    February 15, 2013 at 9:09 PM

I will be ok with it. The mailman has a long day/week. I think they can use a break. 

• TigerofMu
    March 3, 2013 at 12:26 PM

I read that.  Our post office is also losing 2 hours a day :(.

• meam4444
    March 4, 2013 at 7:12 AM
    Eh not worried about no mail delivery..but I hope we don't have shorter hours at the post office. I do feel sad about the jobs lost though.
Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts