Home Life

Featured Posts
HappySquirrel
Husband works from home
January 18, 2013 at 11:21 PM
As it says, my husband works from home. We have enough money coming in that I am not needed to work outside of the home so, basically, we are all always here, all the time. My elder child attends school (yay!) and my younger is in preschool one day a week. I have a hard time cleaning the house top to bottom when he is right there in the next room and I am so tempted to talk to him because I am starving for conversation. We have lived here for a year and I haven't made many friends yet. It is a small town and I am getting out there and volunteering and getting myself known and seen, but need to keep at it yet. Husband has been working for about two years at this job and it only became a real issue after I quit working. I miss the social aspect of my employment and will be starting my own business before too long, but working outside the home is not something we are considering at this time. Perhaps when the little one is also in school full time.. Anyways.

Are you in the same situation with your husband working from home? How do you make it happen at your house?

Replies

• psych_mom
    January 19, 2013 at 12:14 AM

My husband works outside the home, but he works for three days of the week. I enjoy having him around, but it is very different. We do a lot of stuff together, but we both also have school work. It is hard to work it in with three kids, errands and other things. Hope you get your situation figured out.

• hugss
    by hugss
    January 19, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Sounds like you should talk to him,
    Tell him what you told us perhaps.
    See if you/he can carve out some time to chat so to speak.
    Also let him know how difficult it is to clean with him right there as well.
    Surely you guys can talk a bit I hope while he is doing some work.
    I hope you make some new friends soon.
    Let us know how it goes ;)

• Mommyof2114
    January 19, 2013 at 2:54 AM
    My husband also works from home. I love it!!
  • the3Rs
    by the3Rs
    January 19, 2013 at 6:48 AM
    I work from home full time but my DH works outside the home and all 3 kids are in school. He does have Mondays off so we're here together that day but I'm WORKING. It's just like if I was in an office - can't just sit around & chat, and he understands that.
  • inmybizz
    January 19, 2013 at 9:04 AM

My husband works from home and I'm a sahm, It works for us. I think the layout of our house is perfect..He has the entire bottom level-there is nothing i need to clean in his area on a daily basis. As far as socializing i treat him working at home as if he were on a job. I don't go down and talk to him when he comes up for lunch we talk but other wise i try to give him privacy. 

• mysweet1s
    January 19, 2013 at 9:13 AM

My DH works from home and I work only 2 days per week, so we are here together A LOT.  We have had this arrangement for 7 years.  Initially, it was hard for us too.  Early on, his office was upstairs by the bedrooms, so at least he wasn't on the main level.  But, we really like eachother, so we were constantly distracting eachother.  Also, it was hard for him to ignore things like the kids throwing a fit, or the phone ringing ("who was that?") 

3 years ago, when we were expecting, we converted his upstairs office to her bedroom.  We live out in the country, and have an outbuilding.  So, we had an office framed up in there.  Its really nice, and it's super quiet.  Now he treats it just like "going to the office" except that it's only about 20 yards away :)  It really is the best of both worlds now.      

• HisSweetheart07
    January 19, 2013 at 9:28 AM

my dh works outside of the home. Sorry I'm no help. My only suggestion would be to take his "office time" and go do your volunteering then. That way you're not home to be tempted to bother him. 

As far as cleaning, knowing that he's right there - I have that issue when Dh is home on a work day. It throws my schedule all out of wack because I'm busting my hiney doing my daily work, and where is he?? In bed. -_- I've got serious issues with that though. I'm ok if he wants a nap, etc bc he does work hard but to do absolutely nothing the whole day you're home (especially when I have a Honey-To-Do list a mille long) just down right ticks me off. 

• HappySquirrel
    January 19, 2013 at 3:20 PM
    Quoting mysweet1s:

My DH works from home and I work only 2 days per week, so we are here together A LOT.  We have had this arrangement for 7 years.  Initially, it was hard for us too.  Early on, his office was upstairs by the bedrooms, so at least he wasn't on the main level.  But, we really like eachother, so we were constantly distracting eachother.  Also, it was hard for him to ignore things like the kids throwing a fit, or the phone ringing ("who was that?") 

3 years ago, when we were expecting, we converted his upstairs office to her bedroom.  We live out in the country, and have an outbuilding.  So, we had an office framed up in there.  Its really nice, and it's super quiet.  Now he treats it just like "going to the office" except that it's only about 20 yards away :)  It really is the best of both worlds now.      

That is exactly what I've proposed to him. We also live in the country and I could build him a sweet little man-pad out there somewhere, but he doesn't want to be out of the house. I really need him out. We haven't come to an agreement on that yet, but he will be moving to the basement soon. We need to wire and finish it. Should happen this summer and then at least I will have the rest of the house and he can be sort of out of my hair.
  • HappySquirrel
    January 19, 2013 at 9:37 PM
    Wee! I have spoken with him again and read the posts here to him and we have decided on a location in the yard for his new office! Yippee!
  • Linds2Horse
    January 20, 2013 at 12:30 AM

My dh commutes 90 miles each direction. I wish he'd work from home.  I work from home more than from my office. My son is really good about letting me work. He knows its a priviledge that I can work from home so he doesn't have to go to day care.

Home Life

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts