Home Life

coreilly89
cigarette smell
November 16, 2012 at 10:41 AM
My sister just gave us a bed. It was the guest bedroom bed, it's a king, it's barely been slept on with a three inch pillow top. Unfortunately they smoke inside. A lot. I''ve tried febreeze. Like... five bottles of it. Nothing. A friend said try coffee grind. Now it just smells like an old man's truck. I'm thinking of getting a mattress cover if nothing works.

Has anyone had success with getting the smell of cigarette smoke out of upholsteredf frniture?

Replies

• psych_mom
    November 16, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Vinegar is good at getting rid of odors, but if you can, try laying a large tarp outside and letting it get some good old sunshine. It helps with odors. I would get a mattress cover anyways- we have one for our bed and it helps keep the dust and allergens to a minimum.

• Jukebox_Jenny
    November 16, 2012 at 11:32 AM
    I would've suggested putting it outside.

Quoting psych_mom:

Vinegar is good at getting rid of odors, but if you can, try laying a large tarp outside and letting it get some good old sunshine. It helps with odors. I would get a mattress cover anyways- we have one for our bed and it helps keep the dust and allergens to a minimum.

• QuiltLover
    November 16, 2012 at 12:15 PM

I agree with putting it outside, also put some charcoal in a pan under the bed, it absorbs odors. I am wondering if you contacted those people that clean up after a fire in your house, you know they would have to have something to rid the smoke smell after a fire. I also would go the extra expense of buying 2 really thick mattress pads and I would put one on both the box springs and the mattress..if all else fails..buy a new one.

• telecomgirl
    November 16, 2012 at 1:22 PM

I would also recommend putting it outside if possible.

I hope you can get the stink out of it and use it soon!

• snuggiewoogie
    November 16, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Baking Soda!

• LuvsHopesDreams
    November 16, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Once the smell of stale smoke is in fabric padding it's almost impossiblet o get it out.  That's one reason hubby and I don't smoke in the house.  My son is the #1 reason, though!

• LuvsHopesDreams
    November 16, 2012 at 3:15 PM

The "after-house-fire" idea would work, but it would probably cost her more than the mattress is worth.

Quoting QuiltLover:

I agree with putting it outside, also put some charcoal in a pan under the bed, it absorbs odors. I am wondering if you contacted those people that clean up after a fire in your house, you know they would have to have something to rid the smoke smell after a fire. I also would go the extra expense of buying 2 really thick mattress pads and I would put one on both the box springs and the mattress..if all else fails..buy a new one.

• HisSweetheart07
    November 16, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Outside if possible,

second step would be vinegar sprayed all over

• AnGLInterrupted
    November 16, 2012 at 3:47 PM

I was going to suggest this as well.  Let it sit outside and "breathe" for a few days.

Quoting psych_mom:

• lillucky8
    Jen
    November 16, 2012 at 3:49 PM
    Id spray it with vinegar/water and then when dry sprinkle baking soda on it, let it sit then vaccuum it. Also an appolstry cleaner might help

Home Life