Home Life

the3Rs
Loser.
by the3Rs
October 9, 2012 at 3:44 PM
I am SUCH a loser. I have never been "girly". Straight up tomboy. As such I balked at the idea of ever learning "girl" things from my mom when I was younger.

As a result, while I can cook the basics, I hate it & DH does most of the cooking. I can sew on a button by hand (though it's not pretty) but that's it.

So, my parents for some unGodly reason were really excited & proud to get me a sewing machine last year. (WTH?!). I've never touched it...until today.

My 3 boys needed new scout shirts & I need to sew on their new patches. So, I thought, "Hey! I'll use the sewing machine!". Worst. Idea. Ever.

Now, I am an intelligent woman who works in the technology field. Everyone comes to me to fix their computers, set up their wifi, their TV & surround sound, etc. I'm also the one who puts together any put-together furniture we've ever gotten. I'm not stupid & I can read directions.

Or so I thought.

I needed to thread my machine. I followed the unclear directions & emulated the black & white crappy drawings. And NOTHING WORKS. I can't thread the damn machine. The foot pedal WAS working & now it isn't. I'll admit after an hour I flew into quite a rage...good thing no one is home.

So, here I sit. Angry. A total loser who can't even thread a damn sewing machine.

I need a bath. Or a drink. Or both.

Replies

• rocamom
    by rocamom
    October 9, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Ok so are you far from a scout store?  They sell stuff called BADGE Magic.  It's not cheap but it's SO much better than doing it this way.  I know how to sew and honestly the patches are probably to thick for your sewing machine needle anyway.. Patches really should be done by hand.. Badge magic is a NO SEWING way to do it.. Kind of like glue.. i think you iron it on.. I have heard great things but haven't used it YET.. I'm buying some this week for my sons cub scout uniform and also my daughters daisy uniform..

GOOD LUCK and you are not dumb but if you weren't shown it can be hard..  I'm all tomboy too but I was forced to take classes in elementary school.

• Mommyof2114
    October 9, 2012 at 3:58 PM
    Sewing machines can be tricky. You should Youtube it. That's what I did.
  • SassyWildflower
    October 9, 2012 at 4:24 PM
    You arent a loser. You are just learning :)
  • the3Rs
    by the3Rs
    October 9, 2012 at 4:25 PM
    Thanks. They actually suggested badge magic but I thought I'd save the money. Bad call on my part & I didn't realize they'd be too thick for the machine anyway. I did hand sew the old ones - but again, it's not pretty.

Quoting rocamom:

Ok so are you far from a scout store?  They sell stuff called BADGE Magic.  It's not cheap but it's SO much better than doing it this way.  I know how to sew and honestly the patches are probably to thick for your sewing machine needle anyway.. Patches really should be done by hand.. Badge magic is a NO SEWING way to do it.. Kind of like glue.. i think you iron it on.. I have heard great things but haven't used it YET.. I'm buying some this week for my sons cub scout uniform and also my daughters daisy uniform..

GOOD LUCK and you are not dumb but if you weren't shown it can be hard..  I'm all tomboy too but I was forced to take classes in elementary school.

• the3Rs
    by the3Rs
    October 9, 2012 at 4:25 PM
    Why didn't I think of that?!?! Thanks :)

Quoting Mommyof2114:

Sewing machines can be tricky. You should Youtube it. That's what I did.
  • the3Rs
    by the3Rs
    October 9, 2012 at 4:26 PM
    Thanks. :)

Quoting SassyWildflower:

You arent a loser. You are just learning :)
  • rocamom
    by rocamom
    October 9, 2012 at 4:49 PM

hand sewing is hard because they are thick.. Don't be to down on yourself.. ALL of us even if we know what we are doing, we ALL struggle with this..

Quoting the3Rs:

Thanks. They actually suggested badge magic but I thought I'd save the money. Bad call on my part & I didn't realize they'd be too thick for the machine anyway. I did hand sew the old ones - but again, it's not pretty.

Quoting rocamom:

• psych_mom
    October 9, 2012 at 6:22 PM
    Okay... I'm a mix between girly girl and I'm fairly intelligent as well and I suck at using my sewing machine so don't beat yourself up over this one.
  • hugss
    by hugss
    October 10, 2012 at 12:03 AM

They are not easy to thread,
    You are NOT a loser ;)

• twistandshout
    October 10, 2012 at 4:55 AM

funny.

Home Life

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups