Home Life

the3Rs
Loser.
by the3Rs
October 9, 2012 at 3:44 PM
I am SUCH a loser. I have never been "girly". Straight up tomboy. As such I balked at the idea of ever learning "girl" things from my mom when I was younger.

As a result, while I can cook the basics, I hate it & DH does most of the cooking. I can sew on a button by hand (though it's not pretty) but that's it.

So, my parents for some unGodly reason were really excited & proud to get me a sewing machine last year. (WTH?!). I've never touched it...until today.

My 3 boys needed new scout shirts & I need to sew on their new patches. So, I thought, "Hey! I'll use the sewing machine!". Worst. Idea. Ever.

Now, I am an intelligent woman who works in the technology field. Everyone comes to me to fix their computers, set up their wifi, their TV & surround sound, etc. I'm also the one who puts together any put-together furniture we've ever gotten. I'm not stupid & I can read directions.

Or so I thought.

I needed to thread my machine. I followed the unclear directions & emulated the black & white crappy drawings. And NOTHING WORKS. I can't thread the damn machine. The foot pedal WAS working & now it isn't. I'll admit after an hour I flew into quite a rage...good thing no one is home.

So, here I sit. Angry. A total loser who can't even thread a damn sewing machine.

I need a bath. Or a drink. Or both.

Replies

• AnGLInterrupted
    October 10, 2012 at 6:45 AM

The last time I used a sewing machine was in 8th grade Home Ec.  I have one of my own now and I'm intimidated by it.  I have so many projects in my head that I want to try and half of them are done using the sewing machine.  I really need to conquer my fear of it and get a move on LOL.

You're not a loser hun.  Some people are better in different areas than others.  And everything (most everything) takes practice!  (hugs)

• Jukebox_Jenny
    October 10, 2012 at 12:27 PM
    Yep! That's what I did!

Quoting Mommyof2114:

Sewing machines can be tricky. You should Youtube it. That's what I did.
  • QuiltLover
    October 10, 2012 at 6:14 PM
    Since your machine is new, you should have gotten a Manuel with it, it will have detailed instructions on how to thread it. Sometimes, when you open the "door" to the top side of the machine, it will actually have pictures for you to look at. I know mine does.... Good luck to you, don't give up, sewing is a wonderful thing...very stress.....less.....sorry for you're experience today. I love mine.
  • the3Rs
    by the3Rs
    October 10, 2012 at 7:04 PM
    It did have a manual. I followed it step by step but in the end somehow I screwed up. I'm going to YouTube it this weekend. Seeing it in real life should help.

Quoting QuiltLover:

Since your machine is new, you should have gotten a Manuel with it, it will have detailed instructions on how to thread it. Sometimes, when you open the "door" to the top side of the machine, it will actually have pictures for you to look at. I know mine does.... Good luck to you, don't give up, sewing is a wonderful thing...very stress.....less.....sorry for you're experience today. I love mine.
  • inmybizz
    October 10, 2012 at 7:49 PM

not a loser at all..I probably would have tried to glue the badge on the shirt..I have no idea how to sew..LOL!!

Home Life