Home Life

steelcage
Birthday Party Dilemma...help!
October 8, 2012 at 9:53 AM

After looking all over for a place to have my kids' birthday party, DH and I decided to have it at home. Over the last 6 years we've done Chuck-E-Cheese, Monkey Joes, all sorts of places to have a party. It ended up not being worth it, IMO. We wanted to rent the indoor pavillion at the town park, but it's booked all through November by the YMCA, so that's a no. Home is really our only other option.

We live in town, so parking is limited. We have a narrow street, but parking is available on one side, just not a lot of it. People can also park in our yard but DH said that we may not be able to fit more than 4 or 5 cars. We have a church at the end of our street, and DH said they can park there, but I think it's rude to ask people to walk (even if it's not a very far distance at all). 

There's a lot across from our house that's closer than the church, and when we have festivals or events in town, people will park there. DH is concerned that because it's a party at our house, that someone from the city will complain (it's not a parking lot, but it's an abandoned grass lot), and I'd feel much better if people parked there than at the church. 

Is it rude or tacky to ask someone to park across the street and walk to the house if parking is limited? 

Replies

• SassyWildflower
    October 8, 2012 at 10:09 AM

I don't think it is. I mean, you can't control the parking situation.

I would, however, call the city and ask about parking there before doing so. It would really be bad if you're in the middle of your party and someone comes and says all those cars need to be moved.

• VintageWife
    October 8, 2012 at 10:11 AM

I think it'd be fine.

• steelcage
    October 8, 2012 at 10:14 AM

I want to do this but I don't know who to call, whether the police department or the town hall.

Quoting SassyWildflower:

I would, however, call the city and ask about parking there before doing so. It would really be bad if you're in the middle of your party and someone comes and says all those cars need to be moved.

• psych_mom
    October 8, 2012 at 10:16 AM

I would start with the town hall and go from there. If they can't help you they can probably point you in the right direction.

Quoting steelcage:

I want to do this but I don't know who to call, whether the police department or the town hall.

Quoting SassyWildflower:

• SassyWildflower
    October 8, 2012 at 10:17 AM

i'd call the city hall i'm sure if it's not on them, they could tell you who to call =)

Quoting steelcage:

Quoting SassyWildflower:

• psych_mom
    October 8, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Regardless of where your guest have to park, asking them to have to park there isn't rude. They unnderstand that when they come to a party at someone's house parking is often limited so they may have to park elsewhere.

Home Life

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN