Home Life

Featured Posts
Bmat
What are pros and cons of your heating system?
by Bmat
October 6, 2010 at 10:25 AM

What do you like about your heating system, what don't you like?

Replies

• Bmat
    by Bmat
    October 6, 2010 at 10:30 AM

We have electric baseboard heat. Each room has a small electric heater attached to the baseboard against an exterior wall.  There are heating coils in the heater, no fan. Each room has a control for the heater in that room.

It is nice to have each room with its own control. I can turn down rooms that we aren't using. The heating is silent. There is no furnace to upkeep. No fuel tank or pipes. No blowing air. The walls don't collect residue from a furnace.

Cons: It is expensive- when we built there wasn't the energy concern that there is now.  I suspect the units are no longer made, so replacement will be a problem.

• natesmom1228
    October 6, 2010 at 11:44 AM

I love my heating system. There is really nothing that I would change right now. I have forced air heat (duct work).

• rkoloms
    by rkoloms
    October 6, 2010 at 3:52 PM

We have radiant heat (hot water to radiators and under floors). It is very efficient and works really well. The downside is no ductwork, so no a/c.

• owensmom34
    October 6, 2010 at 7:31 PM

We have no problems with ours.  When I was a kid we had electric heater and my mom kept the house so cold in winter.  I remember going around the house in jackets and blankets.  She still does this and we weren't that poor. 

• xxLukesMamaxx
    October 6, 2010 at 10:46 PM

Our heating system is great, our electric company is sucking the life out of us. I have a small 3 bedroom town home and our electric bill was $311 last month!!! Outrageous!  

• miller060905
    October 6, 2010 at 11:21 PM

baseboard - we never use this and the reason is that it runs our power bill up like fricken crazy and of course whn the power goes out you have no heat- the plus is being able to control the temp of each room on it's own... we might use it a little this winter when it gets really cold.

wood stove - PROS little to no cost to run, especially living in the country and having free access to tons of wood, being able to have heat when the power goes out is really nice too.  CONS really the only one having to actually go out and get the wood... that sucks

electric oil stove - love this thing love that i can program it to change temps at different times - the only con is that oil can sometimes be spendy although we don't use much - costs about $250 a year tops oh and if the power goes out no heat

• miller060905
    October 6, 2010 at 11:24 PM

holy crap!!!  $311?!  i woud have a heart attack!!!  my bill last month was $97 and that was the highest it's been and we live in a big 4 bedroom farm house. 

Quoting xxLukesMamaxx:

Our heating system is great, our electric company is sucking the life out of us. I have a small 3 bedroom town home and our electric bill was $311 last month!!! Outrageous!  

• Bmat
    by Bmat
    October 7, 2010 at 9:54 PM

Yeah, your baseboard sounds like what we have, I didn't know anybody else still had it.

Quoting miller060905:

baseboard - we never use this and the reason is that it runs our power bill up like fricken crazy and of course whn the power goes out you have no heat- the plus is being able to control the temp of each room on it's own... we might use it a little this winter when it gets really cold.

wood stove - PROS little to no cost to run, especially living in the country and having free access to tons of wood, being able to have heat when the power goes out is really nice too.  CONS really the only one having to actually go out and get the wood... that sucks

electric oil stove - love this thing love that i can program it to change temps at different times - the only con is that oil can sometimes be spendy although we don't use much - costs about $250 a year tops oh and if the power goes out no heat

• rkoloms
    by rkoloms
    October 8, 2010 at 11:15 AM

Quoting miller060905:

holy crap!!!  $311?!  i woud have a heart attack!!!  my bill last month was $97 and that was the highest it's been and we live in a big 4 bedroom farm house. 

Quoting xxLukesMamaxx:

Our boiler is gas (as are our stove and dryer). We are on annualized billing, and pay $118 a month

• RobynS
    by RobynS
    October 8, 2010 at 3:40 PM

Hmmmm... the only thing I don't like is the high gas bill in the winter, and the fact that gas scares me! I always worry there will be a leak.

Home Life

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts