Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Featured Posts
norahsmommy
An 8 yr old told me she is on a diet :(
March 25, 2013 at 11:47 AM
I hate that!!! I took my dd to her friends birthday party and she wanted me to stay so I helped the mom dish out cake and ice cream. One of the little girls told me she wasn't allowed to have cake so just give her the ice cream. Then she looked at me and said "grandma says I'm on a diet." :(. She lives with her grandparents and she has a belly so I bet its true. She isn't terribly overweight, she would probably be long and lean in a few months just from playing hard outside.

Replies

• Hunnybadgerkins
    March 25, 2013 at 11:49 AM
    Well that's just awful :(
  • eema.gray
    March 25, 2013 at 11:56 AM
    Poor kid. I bet you're right too. Summer of hard outside play would do it better than a diet. :-(
  • Silvertears1275
    March 25, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Aw.  =(  Poor kid.

• itsm3
    by itsm3
    March 25, 2013 at 12:06 PM

oh, that's so sad.  kids that age should never feel anything about their weight! it will only give them complexes later on in life.

my dd knows that we eat healthy because it's good for us.  she asks me why i exercise and i tell her it's so i can live long to see her grow up and to be strong and healthy but i never ever mention weight.  even when she asks why she can't eat as many sweets/desserts as her cousins, i tell her it's because it's not good for the body; that those foods are ok sometimes but too much of them aren;t good for the heart and doesn't really have the proper nutrients to make us grow up healthy and strong. 

that poor kid :(  makes me sad when i hear stuff like that.

• musicpisces
    March 25, 2013 at 1:17 PM

THIS.  That is just so sad, OP.

My son is only 4, but everyone in my family struggles with their weight, so I've made a concerted effort to teach Jonah about healthy ("big and strong") food, "sometimes" food, and things that are full of sugar or unhealthy fat (and he knows there is healthy fat and unhealthy fat).  He is all about loading up on protein, which I think is funny (in fact, if he's not eating something, and I tell him it has protein, he'll usually take at least a few bites!).  I want to avoid the struggles I've dealt with, and certainly avoid giving him a complex about his body.  We don't talk about weight, but we do compliment our bodies, flex muscles, talk about how our strong legs can run and jump, etc.  I can't imagine telling him he's on a diet.  Let the kid have fun at a freaking birthday party!  =(

Quoting itsm3:

oh, that's so sad.  kids that age should never feel anything about their weight! it will only give them complexes later on in life.

my dd knows that we eat healthy because it's good for us.  she asks me why i exercise and i tell her it's so i can live long to see her grow up and to be strong and healthy but i never ever mention weight.  even when she asks why she can't eat as many sweets/desserts as her cousins, i tell her it's because it's not good for the body; that those foods are ok sometimes but too much of them aren;t good for the heart and doesn't really have the proper nutrients to make us grow up healthy and strong. 

that poor kid :(  makes me sad when i hear stuff like that.

• lillybug222
    March 25, 2013 at 1:21 PM
    That was me as a kid. I remember my mom starting me on diets when I was 7 or 8. And buying me exercise tapes & a stair stepper for Christmas. I never wanted any of it & contribute a big part of me being overweight to the choices she made when I was a kid. Don't get me wrong, as an adult, it's up to me. But my overrating & binge eating habits started because of my mom--I was just a little kid.
  • norahsmommy
    March 25, 2013 at 1:24 PM
    I agree with this. I have eating habits from my childhood that I'm trying to break. I hate the phrase "I'm on a diet." It's just so bad for you all around! Lifestyle changes are what works! This poor girl is starting down a long and painful road. It makes me ill to think about it.

Quoting lillybug222:

That was me as a kid. I remember my mom starting me on diets when I was 7 or 8. And buying me exercise tapes & a stair stepper for Christmas. I never wanted any of it & contribute a big part of me being overweight to the choices she made when I was a kid. Don't get me wrong, as an adult, it's up to me. But my overrating & binge eating habits started because of my mom--I was just a little kid.

• musicpisces
    March 25, 2013 at 1:28 PM

=(  I'm sorry you had to deal with that.  What a horrible way to give a kid a complex!!  Parents don't see how they're setting their kids up for awful body image issues and weight problems later, because they eat for a sense of control.  I think that's part of why I would sneak buying chocolate when my parents were at work.  I hope you feel better about yourself now!  =)

Quoting lillybug222:

• haileys_mommy06
    March 25, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Oh that's so sad =(

• eema.gray
    March 25, 2013 at 1:39 PM
    I will be the first to admit I've gotten my kids "exercise" dvd's nut they are mainly children's dance lessons so really it's about fun healthy movement. :-)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts