Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Featured Posts
Danapopcorn
Tips on GAINING weight?
February 20, 2013 at 1:20 AM

My friend has always been in a low weight range. (5'6 and in the low 90s) she does NOT have an eating disorder. But she has a hard time gaining weight. She'd gotten up to 110 after nearly a year, got sick, and went back to 102 in a matter of a couple of days. Any advice for her ladies?

Replies

• CLEKate
    by CLEKate
    February 20, 2013 at 6:53 AM

Eating full fat & calorie foods.  Increasing portions on the higher fat/calorie foods during meals.  Increasing the amount/frequency of higher healthy fat snacks.

• Stefanie83
    February 20, 2013 at 1:43 PM

I would recommend that she track her food for a while to see what her calorie intake is. She could join myfitnesspal and set it to gain 1/2 lb per week and try to get up to or above her calorie goal every day.  Of course doing that with healthy food would be the best. Plenty of veg, fruit, chicken, beans, eggs, cheese, nut butter, avocado, nuts, whole grains :D

• Danapopcorn
    February 20, 2013 at 3:11 PM

That's the thing, her calorie intake is over 2000 calories a day!  How many should she be eating?

Quoting Stefanie83:

I would recommend that she track her food for a while to see what her calorie intake is. She could join myfitnesspal and set it to gain 1/2 lb per week and try to get up to or above her calorie goal every day.  Of course doing that with healthy food would be the best. Plenty of veg, fruit, chicken, beans, eggs, cheese, nut butter, avocado, nuts, whole grains :D

• EmilyJ604
    February 20, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Has she ever had her thyroid checked

• Danapopcorn
    February 20, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Probably not. Can that make you not be able to gain weight as well? (I thought that made it harder to lose weight)

Quoting EmilyJ604:

• EmilyJ604
    February 20, 2013 at 3:21 PM

I had the same problem I couldnt gain weight if I ate everything in sight and I was cold all the time ended up my thyroid was bad there is hyper and hypo...I was hyper it causes you to lose weight

• Silvertears1275
    February 20, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Depends on if your thyroid is over-active or under-active =)

Quoting Danapopcorn:

Probably not. Can that make you not be able to gain weight as well? (I thought that made it harder to lose weight)

Quoting EmilyJ604:

• bbshopbrat
    February 20, 2013 at 5:02 PM

She needs something nutritionally. Get her on the 90 Essential Nutrients every day and add halthy protein and fats. If she doesn't start gaining then, I would strongly suggest try going totally gluten free for 90 days and still taking the 90 Essential Nutrients and healthy proteins, etc. She may not be absorbing the nutrition due to a gluten intolerance (which is not necessarily the same as having celiac disease).  Does she have asthma, eczema or upper respiratory issues often?  These are also signs of a gluten intolerance.  Also, stay away from processed foods and go organic & non-GMO if she hasn't already.

I would suggest reading Dead Doctor's Don't Lie and Cerial Killers as well.

• musicpisces
    February 20, 2013 at 11:59 PM
    Could be her thyroid, could just be a fast metabolism. Is she active?
    Adding more of each if the food groups can help. I know it can be hard when it feels like forcing food down, and it should NEVER feel that way. She can try to find healthy foods that leave her hungry within a couple of hours, so that she can eat frequently. I know smoothies make me hungry soon after. Something like that might be a good option, so that she's still taking in whole foods, but they're being processed faster.
    It's definitely worth it for her to see her doctor, though, and get her hormones, blood cells, and electrolytes looked at, at the very least.

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN