Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Featured Posts
jendawgrox2004
I'm not sure i want to lose weight.
February 4, 2013 at 3:03 PM

I'm new to this group. My name is Jenny. I weigh 290 right now, but tomorrow could be 280. I fluctuate a lot and I don't really know why that is. I am married to a skinny guy which I find funny because he basically never eats because he isn't hungry and I can NOT relate to that. I have two wonderful kids who I feed healthy food because I don't want them to have to deal with diabetes or any other health problems. My son just turned 1 last month and My daughter is 2 turning 3 in April.

When I really try, I can lose weight. I proved that to myself during my pregnancy. I wanted to eat healthier for my baby and I ended up gaining nothing and losing weight after I gave birth. I was about 30 lbs less after I gave birth than I was beforre I got pregnant. However I have gained every bit of it back now. 

I do want to say that I like my body which is why I think I have such a hard time actually putting in the effort and eating right. I enjoy food and I never work out. I did like that my diabetes was under control when I was eating rigth and walking a mile a day and I want it to be that way again.

So, how do you guys motivate yourselves? How can I motivate myself? What are some easy exercises other than walking that I can try. Keep in mind, my husband works 40 hours a week and I am a SAHM.

So, I don't have time away from the kids to exercise. It would have to be with them right there underfoot. And the reason I stopped walking is because I can't really do it with two kids. I mean, yes I can and do go on walks, but not quickly because my daughter likes to stop and pick up leaves. Plus, she's two, she walks slow.

Anyway, this is rambling on. If anyone has any advice or ideas, please let me know. Thank you.

Replies

• Aurorasmom
    February 4, 2013 at 3:09 PM

ask yourself one question - do you want to live to see your kids getting married?  do you want to meet your grandkids?  the reality checks hit me the hardest because those are real concerns, that is real life and i know i want to do everything within my power to make sure i get as much life as i possibly can.

• jendawgrox2004
    February 4, 2013 at 3:11 PM

I mean, of course I do. I just can't get motivated.

Quoting Aurorasmom:

ask yourself one question - do you want to live to see your kids getting married?  do you want to meet your grandkids?  the reality checks hit me the hardest because those are real concerns, that is real life and i know i want to do everything within my power to make sure i get as much life as i possibly can.

• mem82
    by mem82
    February 4, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Google pictures of diabetics who don't keep their sugar under control. My dad has had open, running, pus oozing sores on his feet for YEARS that won't heal and he is going blind all because he didn't keep his sugar in check. He has also been in a coma three times because of it. As a child I was terrified of finding my dad dead because he slid into his first coma during an afternoon nap. If the pictures and stories you find don't motivate you and if knowing you could leave your kids motherless doesn't scare you, I don't know what will, honestly.

• jendawgrox2004
    February 4, 2013 at 3:23 PM

That type of thing does scare me, but my sugars are under control with medication. I would just like to get off the medication. Youa re the second person who suggested something frightening me into losing weight and while I agree that might work at the beginning, I don't think I will be able to stay motivated. I need something that helps me track the weight and shows me that it actually is happeneing even if it's slow. I hate that it's not an instant gratification type of situation. I have to keep working at it and I lose my focus after like 20 pounds. I don't know. Thank you for your suggestion.

Quoting mem82:

Google pictures of diabetics who don't keep their sugar under control. My dad has had open, running, pus oozing sores on his feet for YEARS that won't heal and he is going blind all because he didn't keep his sugar in check. He has also been in a coma three times because of it. As a child I was terrified of finding my dad dead because he slid into his first coma during an afternoon nap. If the pictures and stories you find don't motivate you and if knowing you could leave your kids motherless doesn't scare you, I don't know what will, honestly.

• vboatner
    February 4, 2013 at 3:24 PM

No one can really tell you how to get/stay motivated. Every person is different. It is something that just has to happen. For me it was realizing that I was almost 300 lbs and that I knew that if I did not do something, that is could cost me my life. And the fact that size 26 pants were getting too small for me. I refused to go up another pants size. That is all if took for me. I began eating right and working out and the more I seen the weight come off, the more motivated I got.

Quoting jendawgrox2004:

I mean, of course I do. I just can't get motivated.

Quoting Aurorasmom:

• vboatner
    February 4, 2013 at 3:25 PM

If you want trackers, try sparkpeople or myfitnesspal. They are great tools for helping you track.

Quoting jendawgrox2004:

That type of thing does scare me, but my sugars are under control with medication. I would just like to get off the medication. Youa re the second person who suggested something frightening me into losing weight and while I agree that might work at the beginning, I don't think I will be able to stay motivated. I need something that helps me track the weight and shows me that it actually is happeneing even if it's slow. I hate that it's not an instant gratification type of situation. I have to keep working at it and I lose my focus after like 20 pounds. I don't know. Thank you for your suggestion.

Quoting mem82:

• jendawgrox2004
    February 4, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Thank you. And you're right. No one else can motivate me, but me. A tracker is what I was looking for, I just didn't know what to call it.

Quoting vboatner:

If you want trackers, try sparkpeople or myfitnesspal. They are great tools for helping you track.

Quoting jendawgrox2004:

Quoting mem82:

• vboatner
    February 4, 2013 at 3:27 PM

And to be honest, it does not seem like you are ready to loose the weight. And no matter what anyone tells you to do or try, unless you are at a 100%, no excuses are going to stop me from doing this point, then it will not work.

• emilyrosenj
    February 4, 2013 at 3:29 PM

You have to want to do it for yourself, no one here can give you a quick fix.  You have to want to be healthy more than anything else...

• mcginnisc
    February 4, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Oh honey..

Most of us have to hit rock bottom for us to be truly motivated. This is something I would like for you to do... sit down and write out WHY you would like to lose weight or be healthy... It can be as silly as wearing a shirt you haven't worn for years, or it can be serious about your Diabetes. It doesn't matter how many things you write downor how arbitrary it may seem, just make that list, make copies and keep them wherever you will see them daily. 

Motivation has to come frm within you. I can give you the tools, but you have to follow through. 

The first step is to really look at what you eat, why you eat and how much you eat. Weight loss is 80% diet and 20% activity. You should be eating lean proteins, tons of produce, and lots of water. If you decide to eat grains, make sure they are whole grains.

Take your weight and divide by 2. This is a general guideline of how many oz of water you should drink daily.

Exercises- There are tons that you can do with kids at home! Many of us in here are SAHM so you are not alone. You can find workouts on youtube.com, On Demand, and Netflix. Some of them incoporate kids into them! You could also invest in a few DVDS as you can find them for $10 or less sometimes. Jumping rope, lunges, squats, pushups, pull ups, situps...all of those are easily done at home.

You can do it!

Let me know if I can help you. I'm in the process of getting my Personal Trainer Certifications, a SAHM, and I've been on my own weight loss journey.  

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN