Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Featured Posts
.3xBlessed.
Weight Watchers vs. Curves
January 24, 2013 at 10:10 PM
Hello all.
My sweet pea is going to be one soon, and is needing to nurse less these days. While I intend to continue as long as she wants to, I'm comfortable beginning my weight loss journey now.

I have 50-60 pounds to lose, but I have an initial goal of 20.

What is the best way to get started? I want to join a gym and either weight watchers or curves, but I'm not sure which. Also, does anyone know about myfitnesspal?

Thanks.

Replies

• Stefanie83
    January 25, 2013 at 7:44 AM
    I use and love myfitnesspal. I started 2 years ago and lost 95 lbs. :D

Curves includes a gym, right? So that would be good.

Honestly, is probably want to do myfitnesspal because its free and then join a non-curves gym because from my knowledge curves gyms are pretty limited. I don't think they have any weights!

Good luck!!!
  • edelweiss23
    January 25, 2013 at 7:45 AM
    I lost 115lbs and didn't set foot in a gym or diet.
    I did a total lifestyle change.
  • .3xBlessed.
    January 25, 2013 at 9:33 AM
    Do you have a story post or a blog? I'd love to know how.

Quoting edelweiss23:

• .3xBlessed.
    January 25, 2013 at 9:35 AM
    How does it work? I will definitely be joining a gym, I just wasn't sure which one. I don't know enough about curves, I suppose. I will have to look into it

Quoting Stefanie83:

Honestly, is probably want to do myfitnesspal because its free and then join a non-curves gym because from my knowledge curves gyms are pretty limited. I don't think they have any weights!

Good luck!!!
  • edelweiss23
    January 25, 2013 at 9:47 AM
    I don't.
    Although I suppose I could type it up and share it!!

Quoting .3xBlessed.:

Do you have a story post or a blog? I'd love to know how.

Quoting edelweiss23:

• Bookwormy
    January 25, 2013 at 9:52 AM
    I've lost over 50lb doing Weight Watchers & only recently joined Planet Fitness. Curves is a huge ripoff is my impression. When joined Planet Fitness I paid $99 for a 1 year membership w/no other fees. That's less than $9/mo. Well worth it! At WW I've recently gotten an ActiveLink & its helping me a bunch.
  • .3xBlessed.
    January 25, 2013 at 10:07 AM
    Please tell me more!! My job will cover the gym membership, but i would love to know about weight watchers!! How does it work??

Quoting Bookwormy:

I've lost over 50lb doing Weight Watchers & only recently joined Planet Fitness. Curves is a huge ripoff is my impression. When joined Planet Fitness I paid $99 for a 1 year membership w/no other fees. That's less than $9/mo. Well worth it! At WW I've recently gotten an ActiveLink & its helping me a bunch.
  • Bookwormy
    January 25, 2013 at 11:20 AM
    It helps me manage quantity & quality of food while still eating whatever I want. I try to go to mtgs weekly. The ActiveLink measures how much activity I get & I'm in the 2nd of a 12 wk challege after an 8 day activity assessment.

Its expensive. $45/mo w/the ActiveLink but its working for me.

Quoting .3xBlessed.:

Please tell me more!! My job will cover the gym membership, but i would love to know about weight watchers!! How does it work??

Quoting Bookwormy:

• Stefanie83
    January 25, 2013 at 1:05 PM

With MFP, you just enter your info and it gives you a calorie goal to aim for. If you exercise, it gives you more calories you have to eat.  You just like click add food to diary, search for it, add it.  It's pretty easy and great for tracking food. :)

Quoting .3xBlessed.:

How does it work? I will definitely be joining a gym, I just wasn't sure which one. I don't know enough about curves, I suppose. I will have to look into it

Quoting Stefanie83:

Good luck!!!

• wahmx3
    by wahmx3
    January 25, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Personally, I love MFP, it is free, easy to use after a few days of getting to know the site and something you can forever if you like, along with lots of support and information. if you don't need or want a meeting to attend, I would suggest doing MFP rather than WW.

As for a gym...what do you feel comfortable doing? Mixed sexes or all female? Cost in your area for Curves and other gyms? Location of both? Whatever is closer will help you go more often. ALso check out the hours they are open....this can be important. I went to Curves for about 5 years and loved it. I suggest you go for a free trial day and see what you think before committing. I stopped as I no longer had the time to go and weekend hours at my curves were very limited. I checked into signing up again, but I thought it was too pricey.

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts