Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

lilmama2be
Where did you start?
January 24, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Hi ladies! This is my first post in this group, though I have lurked on occasion. I have decided that I really need to change some things. Most of what I want to change can be traced back to being unhappy with my weight. So, after catching an extremely disturbing, yet eye-opening glimpse of myself in the mirror (which I simply avoid on normal days), I have decided enough is enough. I want to be happy again. But I am not sure where to start. Start exercising daily? Start by modifying my diet daily? Do both at once?

How did you all start? Where are you in your weight loss journey? How long has it taken?

Replies

• charlotsomtimes
    January 24, 2013 at 10:08 AM

I started with signing up at sparkpeople, then deciding to do some kind of moving for at least 15 min a day EVERY day, found this group and decided I needed to drink water -so started with one bottle a day and started counting calories ( and had my BMR calculated here- so I found out how much to eat)

that was almost a year- and about 43 lbs ago.

Now- I work out about 7-9 hours a week- a lot of it is zumba-but also pilates/piyo/ weights. I have worked up to 3 bottles of water a day and still counting calories.

Just make small goals at first and add on to them as you go!

• eema.gray
    January 24, 2013 at 10:09 AM

STart with food.  Weight loss is 80% what you eat and 20% exercise so start in the kitchen.  What you eat, in what proportions, and portion sizes.

• nlonnon
    by nlonnon
    January 24, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Welcome to the group!  When I started way back, I just cut my portions and got moving.  Then, over time I started tracking my calories with MFP.  Now I just really watch what I eat (fruits, veggies, lean proteins) and drink lots of water.  I'm not as strick with MFP anymore, but if I find myself getting out of control I will track for a few days.  

• imultracool
    January 24, 2013 at 10:13 AM
    I started by signing up with myfitnesspal.com. Its a free dieting website. It takes your age, lifestyle, weight, all that junk then tells you on average how many calories you burn in a day. Then you choose how many pounds you'd like to lose in a week and it gives you guidelines. Like you can eat this many calories, sugars, carbs, in a day and still lose. It also has a place to figure in whatever exercise you do. Its really easy. Make sure to drink lots of water! Cutting out carbs helped me a lot. Lots of protein. But take it slow. Don't just go from normal eating to crazy strict diet. Its much easier to stick to good eating if you slowly adjust your diet. Let yourself get used to it and discover new yummy yet healthy foods.
  • kary1124
    January 24, 2013 at 10:17 AM

i started with cutting out all sugary drinks and only drink water and a cup of milk or almond milk every day and changing the food we eat.... i just joined myfitnesspal and i love their food journal i havent really figured out their exercise journal out yet but it still very useful

• LexeesMama
    January 24, 2013 at 11:27 AM

So far I've only started eating better. I'm hoping to get a little more motivation to start working out but just cutting down on my soda intake and I started weight watchers online so it's easier for me to track my food without counting calories so much. I have started drinking more water every day also. 

Making small goals helps me alot as well. 

• simplyus642
    January 24, 2013 at 11:55 AM

I started with my diet. That is still very hard. It's been over a month and I still struggle with my sweet cravings but I have done very well with not over eating. I still eat cookies but I will not eat more than 2 at a time. lol or 3 in 24 hrs. I pour a half a coffee cup of milk and eat one cookie. I wait a min and then eat another. By then I am ok. lol.  I exercise every day though. No less than 20 mins a day. So far I am down 12 lbs. I started the middle of Dec 2012.

• CorpCityGrl
    January 24, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Welcome!

I used to be a gym rat until I got pregnant and had DD.  Even though I bounced back quickly, I wasn't in the best shape of my life.  I saw pictures of me and I was horrified.  On a fluke, a friend asked me if I wanted to do a challenge with her and I said yes.  It was a 12 day challenge and I used it as an excuse to jump start my way back to eating healthy and being fit and it worked.  By joining the challenge, it gave me motivation and something to strive for and I just continued after that.  I now help others achieve their own fitness goals.

• Hunnybadgerkins
    Kat
    January 24, 2013 at 2:29 PM
    I started with running, yoga and eating clean. :)
  • darbyakeep45
    January 24, 2013 at 2:59 PM

These ladies have some great advice...small changes will add up mama!  Hugs!

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health