Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Looneyfarmmom
Eating disorders and healthy weight.
January 16, 2013 at 12:54 PM

For those who suffered an eating disorder in their past. What do you do to keep your weight loss to be healthy? 

I was an anorexic in my youth so I had to learn that perfection is a word that is not realistic, I can't have a scale in my house or I get obsessed, and when I eat I have to learn how to eat healthy so no fasting, no crazy diets, and so forth.

When I started eating again I gained so much weight because I went from not eating to be perfectly skinny (skeletal was more like it) to eating everything. After learning how to eat better I started eating smaller portions every two hours and it had to be a well balanced meal of protein, fats, carbs, and so forth. It was the hardest thing to learn in my life lol. 

I also had to learn how to work out right and NOT hurt myself. I know they say pain is part of the beauty process but what people do not realize is that those with an obsession with being skinny will actually work out until it is unhealthy and even to the point it isn't safe. 

So balance is a huge thing. What did you have to learn to stay healthy? How did you get through your struggle? What is your favorite cookbooks or health books? How do you work out? Anything else you can think of. 

My favorite site is: http://www.sparkpeople.com/

One of my favorite books is: The Gorgeously Green Diet

Favorite works outs: Yoga, Jogging, and Pilates. 

Replies

• Stefanie83
    January 16, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Thanks for sharing!  bumping for others :)

• emilyrosenj
    January 16, 2013 at 5:02 PM

I never suffered an eating disorder but I appreciate you sharing this.  Being morbidly obese is my disorder and I had to learn the veggies and fruit can and do taste good! 

• Looneyfarmmom
    January 16, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Eating too much can also be an eating disorder. My husband suffers from it and he doesn't know when he is full. He never learned how to tell so he just keeps eating. It would get so bad he would eat everything on his plate, mine, and our sons. A lot of it had to do with depression and from growing up being given huge plates of food and told to eat everything he was given. 

And like you said learning to balance what you eat and adding fruits and veggies to your meal plan. Oh I use to get so frustrated when I would put my meal plan in on Sparkpeople and I would never get the right balance. I would always get too much or too little of something. It was frustrating to find recipes and an eating plan with the right amount of everything. 

Quoting emilyrosenj:

I never suffered an eating disorder but I appreciate you sharing this.  Being morbidly obese is my disorder and I had to learn the veggies and fruit can and do taste good! 

• emilyrosenj
    January 16, 2013 at 5:22 PM
    Oh I knew when to stop! I just ate junk and was lazy!

Quoting Looneyfarmmom:

Eating too much can also be an eating disorder. My husband suffers from it and he doesn't know when he is full. He never learned how to tell so he just keeps eating. It would get so bad he would eat everything on his plate, mine, and our sons. A lot of it had to do with depression and from growing up being given huge plates of food and told to eat everything he was given. 

And like you said learning to balance what you eat and adding fruits and veggies to your meal plan. Oh I use to get so frustrated when I would put my meal plan in on Sparkpeople and I would never get the right balance. I would always get too much or too little of something. It was frustrating to find recipes and an eating plan with the right amount of everything. 

Quoting emilyrosenj:

• Looneyfarmmom
    January 16, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Oh okay, lol I know about lazy part. I got up to 175 and was climbing up to 180 while in college. Stupid junk food tasting so good. Conspiracy I tell you. LOL

Quoting emilyrosenj:

Oh I knew when to stop! I just ate junk and was lazy!

Quoting Looneyfarmmom:

Quoting emilyrosenj:

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health