Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Featured Posts
mcginnisc
Attainable goals
January 7, 2013 at 7:33 AM

I know we have a lot of new ladies in the group, so I thought I'd pose this query. 

Do YOU have an attainable goal for your body? 

By this, I mean...are you trying to lose too much weight, too fast? Have you analyzed how much weight is normal for your body type, how much you want to lose, the time frame you have set, etc? 

Keep in mind that the weight that is lost on The Biggest Loser is not normal. The contestants have all of their meals provided for them AND they are in the gym for 6 hours per day while on the ranch. That is not feasible for the majority of people. It is not realistic to expect to lose 20 lbs in a month. It IS realistic to expect a 5 lb loss in a month however. 

So, is your goal realistic? If not, how can you alter your plan? 

Replies

• darbyakeep45
    January 7, 2013 at 7:47 AM

I'm so glad you posted this Claire:)  You are SO right!  What these people on the BL are doing is very unrealistic compared to those of us in real life.  Thanks for pointing this out!  I definitely have attainable goals...I'm not putting a time limit on anything...just to run 1000 miles this year!

• Gmgej
    by Gmgej
    January 7, 2013 at 7:59 AM

My goal is long term, and slow, I have done this before, and it has no deadline. I know from experience unrealistic goals can derail you faster then an icecream cone. I was at my happiest at 160, and fit, so that is my goal, if it takes two or even three yeas so be it.

• Silvertears1275
    January 7, 2013 at 8:07 AM

I think I have set realistic and attainable goals.  I have several fitness related goals - walking a half-marathon, for one.  As for weight loss, my goal is to lose 50 lbs this year, but I will not be upset if I don't reach it, as long as I've made progress.  The REAL goal is to make healthy, permanent changes and the weight will just naturally come off.... 

• Sweetlemonlove
    January 7, 2013 at 8:33 AM
    I want to lose 20 lbs and tone up over the next 6 months. If I don't make it oh well.I've made progress and changed some bad habits I will be happy. My biggest goal is to be more healthy! :)
  • MaskedMomma
    January 7, 2013 at 8:35 AM

yes mine is. I expect to lose 100 pounds or more over the course of a year or so. That's only about 7 or 8 pounds a month. It'll prob take longer because I'll decide to lose more.

It's not appropriate for my height because at my height I should weigh as much as a 4th grader because they're aout the same height as me. I'm not going to be that small no matter how hard I try. 4th graders don't have big breasts or a bunch of kids.

But I will get to what I think is a reasonable weight as size for myself. It'll take awhile, a year or more, but I'll stick with it!

• MamaJessx3
    January 7, 2013 at 8:37 AM
    Great post! It's taken me 10 months to lose 38lbs but my body has still been changing even with my weight loss slowing down as I near a healthy weight for me. It's a slow long process if you do it the healthy way ;)
  • haileys_mommy06
    January 7, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Slow and steady wins the race! I want to be able to keep the weight of once it's all gone. I know it may take awhile, but that's okay as long as I'm doing it right.

• JLCrunch
    January 7, 2013 at 8:43 AM

I have a weight goal not a time frame to reach it. If it takes me 6 months that's okay, if it takes me a year that's okay too. My goal is to be proactive and steady with healthy eating and exercise. If I fall off the wagon there is no such thing as "well there's always tomorrow" Nope, I pick myself up, dust myself off and realize where and how I failed careful not to repeat those actions.

I learned yesterday to ALWAYS carry healthy snack with me whenever I leave home. We went to the inlaws for what we were told was to have been a late 1:00 lunch, we didn't end up eating until 6! No veggie tray, no cheese, NOTHING. O_O I was starving and ate more than I should have way too fast.

• a06z08mama
    January 7, 2013 at 8:43 AM
    I really think my goals are realistic and attainable. Lose 10 lbs and tone up in 3 months.
  • Bethsunshine
    January 7, 2013 at 8:45 AM

I tell people to set small goals, such as losing 5 pounds. Anyone can lose five pounds right? Once you lose five pounds, set a goal to lose another five pounds and so forth. You get discouraged too easily if you set a really high goal and then the weight doesn't come off as fast as you think it should.

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts