Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

mem82
*small edit* This might be a dead horse, but do you feel diet soda actually slows your weight loss?
by mem82
January 3, 2013 at 9:42 AM

I have seen a few articles about this but most diets list diet soda (within reason). I drink two pops a day and I know this sounds crazy, but I'm not giving them up. LOL I cut out pop last year for 3 months and really felt deprived of any pleasure in food. I have a very addictive personality. I gave up recreational drugs as a teen, drinking at 22, smoking at 25. I just can't give up the pop without feeling like life sucks. With me, it has to be all or nothing. I can't *just* smoke one cigarette at a party or drink pop twice a week. I need the caffeine with the fizz! LOL

So my question is, do you think switching to Diet Coke would slow my progress or do you think drinking it doesn't really change weight loss?

ETA: I'm not really planning to give up the caffeine, yet. I don't drink coffee and I want the caffeine. ;) My question is more along the lines of IF you still drink soda or DID while dieting, did you drink regular or diet? Did you feel that drinking diet helped your weight loss.

Pop doesn't make me binge or crave at all. It's almost like my body needs some sort of stimulatant so I can focus. I don't bottom out from it, mid afternoon, either.

Now, if I eat any sort of sweet or salty snack, I will binge, mindless. So, I have removed all of that from my lifestyle as of right now. Once I feel that I can handle it, I may introduce them back.

Replies

• butterflycircle
    January 3, 2013 at 2:45 PM

I have heard that switching to diet pops can help you lose weight, but in the long run (like years down the road) it could be a problem. 

• mem82
    by mem82
    January 3, 2013 at 3:03 PM

LOL YES!

Quoting JavaLadybug2:

Hunny.. I too gave up recreational drug usage.. quit drinking and also quit smoking.. Coffee is my drug of choice now.. For you it is soda..

My doctor says give it up.. I told her.. GOD himself would have a hard time tearing it from my cold dead fingers.. So regardless.. I feel ya..

I am willing to give up the calories in other places!

• ZakTuffMavsMom
    January 3, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Soda was the hardest thing in the world for me to change. I too quit smoking and drinking, but the soda was the hardest thing to quit! I was nodding my head and smiling the whole time I read your post because I completely understand where you are coming from about not having anything left to enjoy. All I can tell you is that I slowly did eventually get away from it. I went from it being the only fluids I drank to now I have one diet sunkist every Sunday. That is my treat and I look forward to it every week. I still get my caffeine every day though because I love coffee. I used to never drink coffee and when I gave up soda I started experimenting with coffee until I found what I liked. Now I drink one cup of coffee when I wake up and then rest of the day is about 80oz of water. I will also have a coffee around dinner time if a want too.  A rule that I went by that helped me was that, if I got all the water in for the day that I was supposed to, then I could have that diet soda, but not until I fulfilled my water needs for the day.

• mem82
    by mem82
    January 3, 2013 at 3:04 PM

This is what I was thinking. I may use it as a back up on days when I know I will be eating more.

Quoting butterflycircle:

I have heard that switching to diet pops can help you lose weight, but in the long run (like years down the road) it could be a problem. 

• mem82
    by mem82
    January 3, 2013 at 3:08 PM

HAHA I am so glad I'm not the only one that feels that way about caffeine or pop. I was starting to think I was a freak. 8)

Quoting ZakTuffMavsMom:

Soda was the hardest thing in the world for me to change. I too quit smoking and drinking, but the soda was the hardest thing to quit! I was nodding my head and smiling the whole time I read your post because I completely understand where you are coming from about not having anything left to enjoy. All I can tell you is that I slowly did eventually get away from it. I went from it being the only fluids I drank to now I have one diet sunkist every Sunday. That is my treat and I look forward to it every week. I still get my caffeine every day though because I love coffee. I used to never drink coffee and when I gave up soda I started experimenting with coffee until I found what I liked. Now I drink one cup of coffee when I wake up and then rest of the day is about 80oz of water. I will also have a coffee around dinner time if a want too.  A rule that I went by that helped me was that, if I got all the water in for the day that I was supposed to, then I could have that diet soda, but not until I fulfilled my water needs for the day.

• butterflycircle
    January 3, 2013 at 3:09 PM

lol my grandma was the same way but with smoking. The dr said smoking could kill her and she said if she quit smoking she knew it would kill her (or she would kill someone else lol). She passed away 2 yrs ago but not smoking related.

Quoting mem82:

LOL YES!

Quoting JavaLadybug2:

Hunny.. I too gave up recreational drug usage.. quit drinking and also quit smoking.. Coffee is my drug of choice now.. For you it is soda..

My doctor says give it up.. I told her.. GOD himself would have a hard time tearing it from my cold dead fingers.. So regardless.. I feel ya..

I am willing to give up the calories in other places!

• slw123
    by slw123
    January 3, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Diet soda is worse for you.  The body gets tricked only for a minute by the artificial sweetners, then it craves sugar even more.  I won't get on you about the evils of soda, but stick with kinds that have real sugar in them.

• ZakTuffMavsMom
    January 3, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Not at all. I think there are a lot of people out there just like us!  Obviously, it would be best not to drink soda at all. It has a lot of crap in it our bodies don't need. But, if you can't get away from it, just make sure it's not your primary fluid. Water is so very important, and as long as you are getting all your water every day, and you are not skipping out on healthy calories in food to make room for calories for soda, then I don't think it's going to hinder your weight loss goals. If you are drinking regular soda, just make sure you aren't going over your calories for the day and that you make all your calories count. If you ever get to the point that you stop losing though, you will know where to point the finger and what to cut out. I know I did

Quoting mem82:

HAHA I am so glad I'm not the only one that feels that way about caffeine or pop. I was starting to think I was a freak. 8)

Quoting ZakTuffMavsMom:

• LoveMyCuties612
    January 3, 2013 at 3:22 PM
    I drink diet soda on occasion while dieting. If I deprive myself of sweet carbonation I go nuts and will down a 2 liter of regular soda in a few hours! I try and limit diet soda but its so hard. I LOVE SODA! :( Lol
  • vboatner
    January 3, 2013 at 3:41 PM

I am like this. I do have coffee and unsweet tea at time too though. Very rarely do I drink anything with sugar in it.

Quoting charmgirl:

I personally think you should drink all water. It helps cleanse the body and get everything moving. I shoot for 130 ounces a day.

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health