Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Featured Posts
mem82
*small edit* This might be a dead horse, but do you feel diet soda actually slows your weight loss?
by mem82
January 3, 2013 at 9:42 AM

I have seen a few articles about this but most diets list diet soda (within reason). I drink two pops a day and I know this sounds crazy, but I'm not giving them up. LOL I cut out pop last year for 3 months and really felt deprived of any pleasure in food. I have a very addictive personality. I gave up recreational drugs as a teen, drinking at 22, smoking at 25. I just can't give up the pop without feeling like life sucks. With me, it has to be all or nothing. I can't *just* smoke one cigarette at a party or drink pop twice a week. I need the caffeine with the fizz! LOL

So my question is, do you think switching to Diet Coke would slow my progress or do you think drinking it doesn't really change weight loss?

ETA: I'm not really planning to give up the caffeine, yet. I don't drink coffee and I want the caffeine. ;) My question is more along the lines of IF you still drink soda or DID while dieting, did you drink regular or diet? Did you feel that drinking diet helped your weight loss.

Pop doesn't make me binge or crave at all. It's almost like my body needs some sort of stimulatant so I can focus. I don't bottom out from it, mid afternoon, either.

Now, if I eat any sort of sweet or salty snack, I will binge, mindless. So, I have removed all of that from my lifestyle as of right now. Once I feel that I can handle it, I may introduce them back.

Replies

• iamcafemom83
    January 3, 2013 at 1:43 PM
    I LOVE diet coke. I love it. But I had to lose it to lose weight. I honestly think they out something in it to make you crave it!!:)

I just started drinking coffee only a year ago. I love it!! But it can be just as bad as soda if you fill it with all the cream and sugar

Anyways, if you are counting calories, it won't kill your diet. However, you should consider dropping the diet soda in a daily basis, anyways. It causes bloat!!

I stopped drinking diet coke (I admit I think about having it, though!!) and I am now hooked on green tea. I especially love mint green tea...like Starbucks zen tea.

I think if you want the best results with your weight loss, you should consider making diet soda a very sometimes thing.
  • Jadegirl1819
    January 3, 2013 at 1:50 PM

The stuff I read about it wasn't so much the soda slowing down the weight loss.  It was that subconciously people ate more calories at the meal because they weren't drinking calories.  Honestly, I have seen myself do it when I have a calorie drink I don't eat as much food and vice versa.

• smurfy88
    January 3, 2013 at 2:02 PM

I have read that diet soda is actually worse for you than regular soda. 

• periwinkle163
    January 3, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Diet Coke Effects

Diet Coke can actually cause you to gain weight. This was the startling data found by epidemiologist Sharon Fowler, from the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, and presented to the American Diabetes Association. She found that for each diet soda that was consumed per day, subjects were 65 percent more likely to become overweight. This research is startling to those who used Diet Coke as a way to cut calories each day. Fowler contends that diet sodas tell your subconscious to eat more, as you consumed less calories because of the soda. This could prove to be a dangerous trap for someone hoping to lose weight.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/71579-diet-coke-weight-loss/#ixzz2GwRM4YUB
  • littlelamb303
    January 3, 2013 at 2:21 PM

I do not believe this is true at all.  Over 30 yrs ago, when I was a teen trying to get my weight under control, this was the ONLY thing I drank, and I most certainly lost weight.  I lost 60 lbs several years ago, and I drank diet soda all the time. I think those studies are BS.  I could never give up drinking diet soda either.  Years back when I wanted weight loss surgery, they told me I would have to give it up for good.  Needless to say, I did not have the surgery.  I cannot give it up.

• Stefanie83
    January 3, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Quoting mem82:

ETA: I'm not really planning to give up the caffeine, yet. I don't drink coffee and I want the caffeine. ;) My question is more along the lines of IF you still drink soda or DID while dieting, did you drink regular or diet? Did you feel that drinking diet helped your weight loss.

Pop doesn't make me binge or crave at all. It's almost like my body needs some sort of stimulatant so I can focus. I don't bottom out from it, mid afternoon, either.

I drank diet soda before and after I started losing weight.  So I didn't switch to diet to help lose weight but I didn't stop drinking diet when I decided to lose weight either.  I just kept drinking 1 diet coke per day and slowly transformed the way I ate from 20% healthy to 80% healthy lol.  And started exercising. And of course I count calories. If I drank regular soda I guess that would be 1 less banana I could eat per day lol.  nom nom bananas.... anwway....

I drink 1 diet soda per day and it hasn't hindered me and I'll never know if I'd feel healthier without the 1 soda per day unless I tried it but I want the caffeine to get me through the afternoon!!!!  lol  :)  I don't like coffee either

• littlelamb303
    January 3, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Quoting smurfy88:

I have read that diet soda is actually worse for you than regular soda. 

as a 35 yr drinker of diet soda, I can assure you this is not true.  I would most likely be 400 lbs if I drank regular soda, and I never have sugar soda.

• littlelamb303
    January 3, 2013 at 2:24 PM

I mostly drink diet ginger ale and diet sprite now(I don't want the caffeine_

• MissTacoBell
    January 3, 2013 at 2:26 PM
    I am on day 5 of no soda (I have a 20 oz diet coke in the fridge I've been sipping) and no energy drinks. I could put away a 2 liter of soda and still be thirsty. Now I can put away a gallon of water. I feel less sluggish. I still want them. But I had to make a change. I find my satisfaction elsewhere.
  • JavaLadybug2
    January 3, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Hunny.. I too gave up recreational drug usage.. quit drinking and also quit smoking.. Coffee is my drug of choice now.. For you it is soda..

My doctor says give it up.. I told her.. GOD himself would have a hard time tearing it from my cold dead fingers.. So regardless.. I feel ya..

I am willing to give up the calories in other places!

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN