Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Featured Posts
mem82
*small edit* This might be a dead horse, but do you feel diet soda actually slows your weight loss?
by mem82
January 3, 2013 at 9:42 AM

I have seen a few articles about this but most diets list diet soda (within reason). I drink two pops a day and I know this sounds crazy, but I'm not giving them up. LOL I cut out pop last year for 3 months and really felt deprived of any pleasure in food. I have a very addictive personality. I gave up recreational drugs as a teen, drinking at 22, smoking at 25. I just can't give up the pop without feeling like life sucks. With me, it has to be all or nothing. I can't *just* smoke one cigarette at a party or drink pop twice a week. I need the caffeine with the fizz! LOL

So my question is, do you think switching to Diet Coke would slow my progress or do you think drinking it doesn't really change weight loss?

ETA: I'm not really planning to give up the caffeine, yet. I don't drink coffee and I want the caffeine. ;) My question is more along the lines of IF you still drink soda or DID while dieting, did you drink regular or diet? Did you feel that drinking diet helped your weight loss.

Pop doesn't make me binge or crave at all. It's almost like my body needs some sort of stimulatant so I can focus. I don't bottom out from it, mid afternoon, either.

Now, if I eat any sort of sweet or salty snack, I will binge, mindless. So, I have removed all of that from my lifestyle as of right now. Once I feel that I can handle it, I may introduce them back.

Replies

• Stefanie83
    January 3, 2013 at 11:43 AM

I'd worry that the sodas are taking up room in your diet for nutritious foods then.  It seems like if you're getting a few hundred calories from soda it'd be hard to get enough protein, healthy fat, vitamins, etc?  But I agree that as long as you're in your target calories you are good for weight loss.  :)

Quoting mem82:

I know the chemicals are bad, which is why I drink regular right now. ;) I stay in my caloric target even with the pops.

Quoting itsm3:

as long as you're not over your caloric target for weight loss, then you should be ok however, those drinks are loaded with chemicals etc that's not good for your body which is why if you're going to drink pop, drink the regular one -- it has less chemicals in them as compared to the diet stuff.

the reason why it's best to avoid sugary drinks is because they are very caloric dense, making tough for many to stay within their daily caloric targets.  it's better to EAT your calories rather than drink them to keep your eating in check (food keeps you full; liquids do not).

• bec94
    by bec94
    January 3, 2013 at 11:47 AM
    What are the supplements and side effects? I like eating things sweet, and I'm having a hard time breaking the addiction.

Quoting eema.gray:

I would suggest trying to supplement with an amino acid called GABA.  It has to work in balance with dopamin in your brain and in some people, if there is too much dopamin and not enough GABA, they find themselves addicted to sweets and/or fats.  A couple months ago, we found out that my husband basically had no GABA production at all in his brain, probably due to a 6X overdoes on morphine he was given for extreme burn injuries when he was a young soldier.  His doctor now thinks that that morphine overdose, morphine also acting on dopamine receptors in the brain, essentially blew out his ability to produce GABA at all, leading to decades of "needing" sodas and frighteningly sweet tea.

The supplement is available over the counter but there are some possible side effects so be aware of them.  My husband started taking them without making any other changes in his diet.  He is slowly starting to be able to cut back on the sugar in his tea (his brain now tells him that the old ratio of sugar to tea is too sweet) and finds commercial soda syrup too sweet as well (we have a SodaStream machine now so I make syrups for him, reducing the amount of sugar as he tells me the old formula is too sweet).

• HelloSweetie
    January 3, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Kombucha is fermented sweet tea. Its my happy place now. I'm not "dieting to lose weight" though, I drastically changed my lifestyle to become healthier and happier. Whole foods have really turned my life around. I missed soda and processed food at first, now I cringe at the thought of them. Losing 50 pounds in 3 months is just a very happy side effect

Quoting mem82:

What's Kombucha? I'm not really thinking of getting rid of the pop unless I really have, too. It's my happy place. I only have two cans a day, though.

Quoting HelloSweetie:

Kombucha helped me kick my soda habit. I was an addict

• mem82
    by mem82
    January 3, 2013 at 12:24 PM

8) I'm glad it's going well for you!

I don't really miss processed foods, yet. Having already cut out pop before, I know it's really something that helps me be happy to keep around. I don't really miss the cookies or chocolate.

Quoting HelloSweetie:

Kombucha is fermented sweet tea. Its my happy place now. I'm not "dieting to lose weight" though, I drastically changed my lifestyle to become healthier and happier. Whole foods have really turned my life around. I missed soda and processed food at first, now I cringe at the thought of them. Losing 50 pounds in 3 months is just a very happy side effect

Quoting mem82:

What's Kombucha? I'm not really thinking of getting rid of the pop unless I really have, too. It's my happy place. I only have two cans a day, though.

Quoting HelloSweetie:

Kombucha helped me kick my soda habit. I was an addict

• emmy11
    by emmy11
    January 3, 2013 at 12:29 PM

I think it does slow ur body down. I have tried it both ways and found it better to drink just regular pop or caffeinated pop. good luck

• emilyrosenj
    January 3, 2013 at 12:33 PM

I gave up soda June of last year and I haven't missed it.  My body doesn't require caffeine but feeds off the fruits and veggies I started eating in September.  I desire less sweets and I can actually eat one piece of chocolate and be satisfied.  So why the drink itself may not hinder weight loss, the cravings it gives you might.

• mem82
    by mem82
    January 3, 2013 at 12:44 PM

I think that is the thing. It doesn't give me cravings for other sweets. I'm not in denial about it or anything.  Now if I eat a single M&M? Then, I will crave sugar.

Quoting emilyrosenj:

I gave up soda June of last year and I haven't missed it.  My body doesn't require caffeine but feeds off the fruits and veggies I started eating in September.  I desire less sweets and I can actually eat one piece of chocolate and be satisfied.  So why the drink itself may not hinder weight loss, the cravings it gives you might.

• ambermario4ever
    January 3, 2013 at 12:46 PM

I would never drink diet soda because of the stuff in it not good for you.

• lifeforchrist
    January 3, 2013 at 1:18 PM

I wouldn't touch a diet soda with a ten foot pole. Artificial sweeteners are cancer in a packet. If you HAVE to do soda do one that uses cane sugar and has no corn syrup. That's your best bet.

• mcginnisc
    January 3, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Diet soft drinks are terrible for you. The chemicals used to make it harm your organs. Regular is no better. 

At least there is benefit to drinking coffee, or I'd be screwed. LOL 

Water is by far the best thing to drink. Our bodies are comprised of 55-66% water. It craves it and needs it for proper blood flow, organ functions, etc. 

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts