Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Featured Posts
mem82
*small edit* This might be a dead horse, but do you feel diet soda actually slows your weight loss?
by mem82
January 3, 2013 at 9:42 AM

I have seen a few articles about this but most diets list diet soda (within reason). I drink two pops a day and I know this sounds crazy, but I'm not giving them up. LOL I cut out pop last year for 3 months and really felt deprived of any pleasure in food. I have a very addictive personality. I gave up recreational drugs as a teen, drinking at 22, smoking at 25. I just can't give up the pop without feeling like life sucks. With me, it has to be all or nothing. I can't *just* smoke one cigarette at a party or drink pop twice a week. I need the caffeine with the fizz! LOL

So my question is, do you think switching to Diet Coke would slow my progress or do you think drinking it doesn't really change weight loss?

ETA: I'm not really planning to give up the caffeine, yet. I don't drink coffee and I want the caffeine. ;) My question is more along the lines of IF you still drink soda or DID while dieting, did you drink regular or diet? Did you feel that drinking diet helped your weight loss.

Pop doesn't make me binge or crave at all. It's almost like my body needs some sort of stimulatant so I can focus. I don't bottom out from it, mid afternoon, either.

Now, if I eat any sort of sweet or salty snack, I will binge, mindless. So, I have removed all of that from my lifestyle as of right now. Once I feel that I can handle it, I may introduce them back.

Replies

• mjgm1966
    January 3, 2013 at 9:47 AM

I've read where it can hinder the weight loss progress.  But, recommended if you have to have the diet drinks, stick with the clear ones.   And good for you for kicking the other habits!  Wonderful!

• mem82
    by mem82
    January 3, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Thank you! 8)

I am on my way to the grocery store, now. I will see what the selection of caffeinated diet soda is there.

Quoting mjgm1966:

I've read where it can hinder the weight loss progress.  But, recommended if you have to have the diet drinks, stick with the clear ones.   And good for you for kicking the other habits!  Wonderful!

• eema.gray
    January 3, 2013 at 9:53 AM

I would suggest trying to supplement with an amino acid called GABA.  It has to work in balance with dopamin in your brain and in some people, if there is too much dopamin and not enough GABA, they find themselves addicted to sweets and/or fats.  A couple months ago, we found out that my husband basically had no GABA production at all in his brain, probably due to a 6X overdoes on morphine he was given for extreme burn injuries when he was a young soldier.  His doctor now thinks that that morphine overdose, morphine also acting on dopamine receptors in the brain, essentially blew out his ability to produce GABA at all, leading to decades of "needing" sodas and frighteningly sweet tea.

The supplement is available over the counter but there are some possible side effects so be aware of them.  My husband started taking them without making any other changes in his diet.  He is slowly starting to be able to cut back on the sugar in his tea (his brain now tells him that the old ratio of sugar to tea is too sweet) and finds commercial soda syrup too sweet as well (we have a SodaStream machine now so I make syrups for him, reducing the amount of sugar as he tells me the old formula is too sweet).

• HelloSweetie
    January 3, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Kombucha helped me kick my soda habit. I was an addict

• Stefanie83
    January 3, 2013 at 10:20 AM

No I do not believe drinking diet soda hinders weight loss.  I also don't believe diet soda is healthy and that you would feel better drinking less of it.  ;)

This is anecdotal, but I drink 1 diet coke everyday and I've lost 90 lbs. 

• nlonnon
    by nlonnon
    January 3, 2013 at 10:26 AM

To me this is a personal decision about your weight loss.  I say if you want/need that diet soda go for it.  At the same time though if at some point you just hit a massive plateau on your journey and want to change something, try that first and see what happens.  I personally, don't care for the taste of diet soda so I don't drink it.

• charlotsomtimes
    January 3, 2013 at 10:27 AM
    no- I only drink one a day IF I even finish it
  • itsm3
    by itsm3
    January 3, 2013 at 10:28 AM

as long as you're not over your caloric target for weight loss, then you should be ok however, those drinks are loaded with chemicals etc that's not good for your body which is why if you're going to drink pop, drink the regular one -- it has less chemicals in them as compared to the diet stuff.

the reason why it's best to avoid sugary drinks is because they are very caloric dense, making tough for many to stay within their daily caloric targets.  it's better to EAT your calories rather than drink them to keep your eating in check (food keeps you full; liquids do not).

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    January 3, 2013 at 10:29 AM

I have also heard it takes calcium from your bones especially as you get older.  Personally I enjoy soda.  Every other Friday I will get sparkling apple cider as a special treat.  I don't keep it in the house.  I also very seldom drink it when I go out to eat.  I would never recommend diet soda.  What size cans do you use?  I know they have smaller size cans now.   Have you thought about gradually weaning?  I think you will be surprised what you can do.  I am doing things now that I never thought I could do.  Good luck.

• charmgirl
    January 3, 2013 at 10:30 AM
    I personally think you should drink all water. It helps cleanse the body and get everything moving. I shoot for 130 ounces a day.

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN