Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Featured Posts
Cafe Robin
Best overall diets ranked
January 3, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Here's a list of the top rated diets ranked by US News & World Report:
http://health.usnews.com/best-diet/best-overall-diets

Best Diets Overall

U.S. News evaluated and ranked the 25 diets below with input from a panel of health experts. To be top-rated, a diet had to be relatively easy to follow, nutritious, safe, and effective for weight loss and against diabetes and heart disease. The government-endorsed Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) snagged the top spot.

DASH Diet

(4.1 out of 5.0)

DASH Diet recipes | DASH Diet reviews

DASH was developed to fight high blood pressure, not as an all-purpose diet. But it certainly looked like an all-star to our panel of experts, who gave it high marks for its nutritional completeness, safety, ability to prevent or control diabetes, and role in supporting heart health. Though obscure, it beat out a field full of better-known diets.

How the DASH Diet works

Did this diet work for you?
Yes888
No1713

TLC Diet

(4.0 out of 5.0)

TLC Diet recipes | TLC Diet reviews

Therapeutic Lifestyle Changes, or TLC, is a very solid diet plan created by the National Institutes of Health. It has no major weaknesses, and it's particularly good at promoting cardiovascular health. One expert described it as a "very healthful, complete, safe diet." But it requires a "do-it-yourself" approach, in contrast to the hand-holding provided by some commercial diets.

How the TLC Diet works

Yes246
No1032

Mayo Clinic Diet

(3.9 out of 5.0)

Mayo Clinic Diet recipes | Mayo Clinic Diet reviews

This is the Mayo Clinic's take on how to make healthy eating a lifelong habit. It earned especially high ratings from our experts for its nutrition and safety and as a tool against diabetes. Experts found it moderately effective for weight loss.

How the Mayo Clinic Diet works

Yes302
No1097

Mediterranean Diet

(3.9 out of 5.0)

Mediterranean Diet recipes | Mediterranean Diet reviews

With its emphasis on fruits and vegetables, olive oil, fish, and other healthy fare, the Mediterranean diet is eminently sensible. And experts' assessments of it were resoundingly positive, giving this diet an edge over many competitors.

How the Mediterranean Diet works

Yes536
No1309

Weight Watchers Diet

(3.9 out of 5.0)

Weight Watchers Diet recipes | Weight Watchers Diet reviews

Weight Watchers is a smart, effective diet. It surpassed other commercial diet plans in multiple areas, including short- and long-term weight loss and how easy it is to follow. It's also nutritionally sound and safe, according to experts. Among its pluses: An emphasis on group support, lots of fruits and vegetables, and room for occasional indulgences.

How the Weight Watchers Diet works

Yes8184
No3629

Volumetrics Diet

(3.8 out of 5.0)

Volumetrics Diet recipes | Volumetrics Diet reviews

Volumetrics outperformed its competitors in many categories. It earned particularly high marks for being safe and nutritious, and experts said it could have a positive effect on heart health and diabetes. "This is an eating plan that everyone can benefit from," one expert said.

How the Volumetrics Diet works

Yes233
No1178

Jenny Craig Diet

(3.7 out of 5.0)

Jenny Craig Diet recipes | Jenny Craig Diet reviews

Jenny Craig drew praise from experts for being easy to follow, nutritionally complete and safe, and for offering dieters emotional support. But these experts were lukewarm about its potential to bolster heart health or help diabetics. Experts also noted that Jenny Craig's cost could be a roadblock for some.

How the Jenny Craig Diet works

Yes753
No2300

Biggest Loser Diet

(3.6 out of 5.0)

Biggest Loser Diet recipes | Biggest Loser Diet reviews

The diet received high marks for short-term weight loss, safety, and soundness as a regimen for diabetes, and it was rated moderately effective for heart health. But many panelists felt that in a sea of diets, it's not overly special, and one said it's merely "capitalizing on the name" of the popular TV show.

How the Biggest Loser Diet works

Yes494
No517

Ornish Diet

(3.6 out of 5.0)

Ornish Diet recipes | Ornish Diet reviews

The Ornish diet got a mixed reaction from experts. On one hand, it's nutritionally sound, safe, and tremendously heart-healthy. On the other, it's not easy for dieters to adhere to the severe fat restriction the diet demands.

How the Ornish Diet works

Yes394
No1294

Vegetarian Diet

(3.5 out of 5.0)

Vegetarian Diet recipes | Vegetarian Diet reviews

As a health diet, vegetarianism is solid. It's decent at producing rapid weight loss, according to experts, and is strong in other areas, such as heart health and nutritional completeness, that arguably are more important.

How the Vegetarian Diet works

Yes18369
No3263

This post has been locked, replies are no longer allowed.

Replies

• Cafe Robin
    January 3, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Slim-Fast Diet

(3.3 out of 5.0)

Slim-Fast Diet recipes | Slim-Fast Diet reviews

Slim-Fast is a reasonable approach to dieting, experts concluded. It outscored a number of competitors on weight loss and as a diabetes diet, and being highly structured, it's fairly easy to follow. But it scored lower than many other diets on heart health.

How the Slim-Fast Diet works

Yes510
    No2857

Flat Belly Diet

(3.2 out of 5.0)

Flat Belly Diet recipes | Flat Belly Diet reviews

The Flat Belly diet landed in the middle of the pack because most of its scores from the experts were right around average. It did get high marks in safety and nutrition.

How the Flat Belly Diet works

Yes515
    No162

Nutrisystem Diet

(3.2 out of 5.0)

Nutrisystem Diet recipes | Nutrisystem Diet reviews

Nutrisystem sits near the middle of the standings. It's quite safe, easier to follow than many other diets, and has few nutritional deficiencies, according to experts. As a heart diet, it's off the mark.

How the Nutrisystem Diet works

Yes707
    No1928

Abs Diet

(3.0 out of 5.0)

Abs Diet recipes | Abs Diet reviews

The experts found the diet moderately effective for quick weight loss and middle of the road in most other respects. They took issue with the company's claim that dieters can drop up to 12 pounds of belly fat in two weeks and questioned the evidence behind some of its tactics.

How the Abs Diet works

Yes70
    No117

South Beach Diet

(3.0 out of 5.0)

South Beach Diet recipes | South Beach Diet reviews

Although the South Beach Diet earned positive ratings for being able to produce rapid weight loss, its restrictions can make it difficult for dieters to keep the pounds off, experts said. Most were less enthusiastic about its ability to combat diabetes or heart disease.

How the South Beach Diet works

Yes1018
    No9361

Vegan Diet

(3.0 out of 5.0)

Vegan Diet recipes | Vegan Diet reviews

Overall, the health experts were lukewarm on veganism despite giving it fairly high marks as a diabetes or heart disease diet. It is extremely restrictive, doesn't offer built-in social support, and may not provide enough of some nutrients.

How the Vegan Diet works

Yes16229
    No1931

Eco-Atkins Diet

(2.9 out of 5.0)

Eco-Atkins Diet recipes | Eco-Atkins Diet reviews

One expert summed up Eco-Atkins as a "healthier version of the Atkins diet, but compliance is likely to be more difficult." That's because it's restrictive and little guidance is available.

How the Eco-Atkins Diet works

Yes10958
    No937

Glycemic-Index Diet

(2.9 out of 5.0)

Glycemic-Index Diet recipes | Glycemic-Index Diet reviews

Experts were less than impressed with the glycemic-index diet, which distinguishes "good" carbs from "bad." They scored it particularly low on long-term weight loss, heart benefits, and ease of adherence. Although the diet's ratings in nutrition and safety were relatively strong, they couldn't push the diet out of the lower third of the pack.

How the Glycemic-Index Diet works

Yes383
    No1042

Zone Diet

(2.9 out of 5.0)

Zone Diet recipes | Zone Diet reviews

The Zone Diet lagged behind higher-ranked diets, if not always by much, in nearly all ratings categories, including weight loss, how easy it is to follow, and its effect on diabetes and heart health. It's "unnecessary and tedious to structure every meal around specific macronutrient thresholds," according to one expert; another stated there is "no magic with the diet."

How the Zone Diet works

Yes377
    No8815

• Cafe Robin
    January 3, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Macrobiotic Diet

(2.7 out of 5.0)

Macrobiotic Diet recipes | Macrobiotic Diet reviews

Experts gave little credence to the diet on several counts: Following the plan is a challenge. It's an extreme change from the standard American diet. And it's awfully strict. The macrobiotic approach, one expert summed up, is "a mix of sound dietary guidance, mysticism, folklore, and nonsense."

How the Macrobiotic Diet works

Yes42
    No119

Medifast Diet

(2.7 out of 5.0)

Medifast Diet recipes | Medifast Diet reviews

Experts were likewise unenthused about Medifast. It scored above average in short-term weight loss but was dragged down by lower marks in most other categories.

How the Medifast Diet works

Yes2571
    No1131

Atkins Diet

(2.3 out of 5.0)

Atkins Diet recipes | Atkins Diet reviews

Many of our experts found the popular low-carb Atkins diet leaves much to be desired, at least as an all-purpose diet. Although our expert panel concluded that it could outperform nearly all of its competitors in short-term weight loss, unfavorable marks in other measures-including long-term weight loss, nutrition, safety, and heart health-yanked down Atkins in the standings.

How the Atkins Diet works

Yes4359
    No19041

Raw Food Diet

(2.3 out of 5.0)

Raw Food Diet recipes | Raw Food Diet reviews

The experts conferred solid marks on the diet for weight loss, both short- and long-term, but considered it all but impossible to follow and its nutritional completeness and safety were concerns. "Doing it well involves considerable commitment and effort, knowledge, and sacrifice," one expert said. "And there are diets that require less of all these that are likely to be just as healthful."

How the Raw Food Diet works

Yes509
    No1275

Dukan Diet

(2.0 out of 5.0)

Dukan Diet recipes | Dukan Diet reviews

Experts sent the Dukan diet to the bottom, handing out dismal ratings in nearly every category. Its overall score was more than a full star below average. It's too restrictive, with lots of rules, and there's no evidence it works. One expert described the diet as "idiotic."

How the Dukan Diet works

Yes734
    No168

Paleo Diet

(2.0 out of 5.0)

Paleo Diet recipes | Paleo Diet reviews

Experts took issue with the diet on every measure. Regardless of the goal-weight loss, heart health, or finding a diet that's easy to follow-most experts concluded that it would be better for dieters to look elsewhere. "A true Paleo diet might be a great option: very lean, pure meats, lots of wild plants," said one expert-quickly adding, however, that duplicating such a regimen in modern times would be difficult.

How the Paleo Diet works

Yes7550
    No24352
  • Autiziumom
    January 3, 2013 at 10:44 AM
    I liked the tlc one! But I'm looking for a long term approach! I will eat until full and snack little amounts! Do my exercises that include yoga n weight lifting! I'm still adjusting to eating clean! Sugar and quantity is still a struggle for me! But its all a state of mind!
  • HelloSweetie
    January 3, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Paleo/Primal ftw :P

• armyvet06
    January 3, 2013 at 12:30 PM
    Im going for the biggest loser. And since we watch the show, i can even get hints and tips from the trainers and the cooks.
  • babynurse244
    January 3, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Weight Watchers. I just had twins in October, and I've lost the "baby weight", but need to lose about 40 pounds more.

• Piscean
    by Piscean
    January 3, 2013 at 4:45 PM

I've tried a lot of different diets, and I agree that diets aren't the way to go to lose weight or to stay healthy. You have to change your lifestyle, and that means learning to eat healthy MOST of the time, and to counter small indulgences with increased activity or otherwise balancing it out.

I've lost 100 lbs. so far with Weight Watchers (blogged about it here), which, for me, is not a diet. It allows me to eat regular food with my family and to have indulgences when I want or need them (certain times of the month, y'all know what I'm talking about lol.) The program has taught me how to eat right in the real world, and I am still able to enjoy the foods I eat. Good stuff. (Also, never have that "omg I'm starving" feeling.)

• mystearica
    January 3, 2013 at 9:12 PM
    I'm going to stop one unhealthy behavior/food each week. First, pop. Then fast food. Fried food. Finally I'll cut chocolate down to once a week...
This post is locked, so you can't reply.

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN