Kids' Health

pce68
Hip pain?
by pce68
April 7, 2013 at 2:05 PM

My 13 yr old dd has been having hip problems. It hurts most when she first wakes up in the morning. Sometimes it will make a popping noise. And her hips feel like there is not enough cartilage or muscle there because they are very bony. She isn't limping and the pain isn't too intense, but somedays it hurts more than others. She did break her hip a few years ago. A piece of bone broke off her hip when she got up off the floor. I don't know if the problems now are related to that, or maybe she had some kind of undiagnosed condition that caused it to break back then and is causing the pain now. Any ideas on this? I need to take her to the ped or an orthopedist but the symptoms are so vague sometimes that I'm afraid they will give me the brushoff. Does anyone know anything about this kind of problem? And any suggestions on how to present this to the dr so I can get her some help and they won't treat me like an overreactive mom?

Replies

• TigerofMu
    April 7, 2013 at 2:19 PM

I would document everything and make an appointment with an orthopod.  At the very least you might be able to get her some physical therapy.

• frndlyfn
    April 7, 2013 at 3:34 PM

I would stay firm and have her describe what she is feeling, not you (unless she is non verbal that is). It is possible to rebreak bones so i would get her in as soon as possible.

• PrincessZ20
    April 7, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Does she see a chiropractor?  Something like that may help! 

• copperked
    April 8, 2013 at 10:27 AM
    I was born with congenital hip dysplasia and went through a lot of hip pain in my teens when I was having growth spurts. My mom took me to multiple doctors, and they brushed my pain off as just growing pains and one actually chewed me out when I told him I thought it was made worse by my hip dysplasia. Later, thanks to the internet, I found out that congenital hip dysplasia can lead to juvenal arthritis. Too late now. Some days I can't even put my weight on my hip to put my pants on. Be your daughter's advocate. Some hip pain at her age might be normal from growing pains, but breaking her hip without falling on it is definitely not normal.
  • pce68
    by pce68
    April 8, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Thanks for sharing your story! I am going to fight for my dd. I definitely don't think this is normal.

Quoting copperked:

I was born with congenital hip dysplasia and went through a lot of hip pain in my teens when I was having growth spurts. My mom took me to multiple doctors, and they brushed my pain off as just growing pains and one actually chewed me out when I told him I thought it was made worse by my hip dysplasia. Later, thanks to the internet, I found out that congenital hip dysplasia can lead to juvenal arthritis. Too late now. Some days I can't even put my weight on my hip to put my pants on. Be your daughter's advocate. Some hip pain at her age might be normal from growing pains, but breaking her hip without falling on it is definitely not normal.

• IQuitCounting
    April 8, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Since she's had an injury she's going to be naturally more prone to things like arthritis, and yes, it can happen pretty young, especially if there is a history in the family.  I would push to see what can be tested and treated.  Many joint concerns can be slowed with early treatment.

• pce68
    by pce68
    April 9, 2013 at 11:04 PM

My dd has an appointment tomorrow with the pediatrician. I'm sure they will probably refer us to an orthopedist, but i figured we should start with the ped, especially since i don't know if insurance will cover the ortho if we didn't get a referral from her pcp. She just came back from a trip with her church youth group and she said it is hurting even more. She said it was hurting so bad that she left some of the activities and went to lay down and rest, and she NEVER does that. She loves church and whenever there is an activity she wants to be there for every minute of it. Maybe they will send us to get x-rays tomorrow. I hope they don't just say, call the prthopedist and then we have to wait several days, or weeks. It is hurting her a lot right now, and I don't want to have to make her wait that long for answers and help. 

• new_mom808
    April 11, 2013 at 2:14 PM
    Personally, I would start with a chiropractor that does a round of x-rays, and see if it's something they can help with. If not, get an ortopedist.

Kids' Health