Kids' Health

charnrich26
when to call doctor or visit ER after child has been seen previously and currently on meds?
February 18, 2013 at 7:39 AM

my 16 month old is being treated for an ear infection. she was originally brought to the ER for a high fever. she is currently on meds but its been three days. i cant get her fever to break. i have recorded it yesterday to be 104.3. my daughter is not her self, she is breathing faster than normal and often twitches when the fever is high, has diarrhea (but is also a side effect of the medicine) and is vomiting.  i cant get her fever below 102 for 3 days now. will the doctor even do anything if she is already being treated? plus she is not keeping the antibiotics down. I'm currently trying to reach the doctors office but not sure if i should wait for an opening or go back to the ER, help please.

Replies

  • charnrich26
    February 18, 2013 at 8:04 AM

    BUMP!

  • Jadegirl1819
    February 18, 2013 at 8:07 AM

    I would talk to a nurse at the doctors office.  Not a receptionist.  With the fast breathing and long fever they may send you to the ER.  The doc office should be open soon, correct?

  • GwenMB
    by GwenMB
    February 18, 2013 at 9:03 AM

    If  you can't get ahold of a nurse at your doctor's office, I'd take her to Urgent Care or the ER.  If she isn't even keeping her meds down, they may need to try something else.

  • cara124
    by cara124
    February 18, 2013 at 9:06 AM

    if she isnt keeping the meds down then they can't work so you need to take her to the doctor or ER so they can treat her in a different way so the meds have  a chance to work .

  • sukainah
    February 18, 2013 at 9:49 AM

    I agree with this.

    Quoting cara124:

    if she isnt keeping the meds down then they can't work so you need to take her to the doctor or ER so they can treat her in a different way so the meds have  a chance to work .


  • TerriC
    by TerriC
    February 18, 2013 at 10:01 AM

    I would go back to the Dr.  A fever that high for days would be enough to scare me.  I hope she feels better soon

  • goddess99
    February 18, 2013 at 10:27 AM

    I would continue to try to reach the dr.s office and see what they say.

  • charnrich26
    February 18, 2013 at 1:35 PM

    i took her to the doctor. one doctor wanted to admit her. she then got a second opinion. the other one said viral and to just switch meds and push fluids.

  • KristinRox
    February 18, 2013 at 3:51 PM

    I would do the same. Sounds like she may have a little more going on then what they initially said. 

    Quoting GwenMB:

    If  you can't get ahold of a nurse at your doctor's office, I'd take her to Urgent Care or the ER.  If she isn't even keeping her meds down, they may need to try something else.


  • egyptian_mommy
    February 18, 2013 at 5:55 PM
    Hmm. Could be but I would follow up with your dr just to be safe.

    Quoting charnrich26:

    i took her to the doctor. one doctor wanted to admit her. she then got a second opinion. the other one said viral and to just switch meds and push fluids.

Kids' Health

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN