Kids' Health

TonyaLea
Shopping cart covers: necessary or overprotective?
January 24, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Camp one. Dr. Dennis Woo, chairman of the department of pediatrics at UCLA-Santa Monica and father of 3, says “The fact that children do so well [without extreme protective measures] is a huge testament to the power of our immune systems....Good hand-washing and being a little selective about where you go makes sense to me. But nothing beyond that. Certainly, not a shopping-cart cover."

Camp Two. Dr. Philip Tierno, director of the department of clinical microbiology and diagnostic immunology at New York University Medical Center and the author of "The Secret Lives Of Germs," says anything you can do – including using shopping-cart covers – to reduce your child’s exposure to germs is worthwhile.  “It’s true that nothing you can do will eliminate germs, but you can cut down on them as much as possible,” says Tierno, who uses a cover when he takes his grandson grocery shopping.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6893254/ns/health-childrens_health/t/waging-war-germs/#.UQHdTx1ESB8

Which camp are you in?  Did you use a shopping car cover with your child?

Replies

• frndlyfn
    January 24, 2013 at 8:03 PM

We had one but did not use it on shopping carts.  I used it as a play mat when we went to other peoples houses.

• eema.gray
    January 24, 2013 at 8:27 PM
    Foolish and over protective. But they do look cozy. :-)
  • PrincessZ20
    January 24, 2013 at 9:32 PM

We didn't use one.  I'm too lazy, and the boys weren't bad about trying to lick the cart or anything like that. 

• mhmomma
    by mhmomma
    January 24, 2013 at 9:45 PM

I did not for my dd.  For my son I did but I was worried all the time with him.  He had a comprimised immune system.  He couldnt afford to get sick.  I know silly but it made me feel a little better.  ANd we made it without getting sick. 

• Ashley21
    January 24, 2013 at 9:52 PM
    I actually made one for my son but not to keep him from germs. I made it very padded and let him use it when he was still a little wobbly so that if he leaned in the cart it wouldn't be so hard.
  • Xandriasmommy
    January 24, 2013 at 10:06 PM
    I did, but my dd was an infant during all that swine flu stuff. During that winter was the only time
  • LntLckrsCmQut
    January 24, 2013 at 10:34 PM

I used one for my now 5 year old but she always wanted her mouth on things and grocery carts are disgusting. Germs don't bother me but you can't really wash a babies mouth out with soap and water.

• TerriC
    by TerriC
    January 25, 2013 at 9:45 AM

I did use one when they were little.  We lived in AZ and so they were in shorts or little dresses a lot, their poor little legs would have been cold hitting that cold metal cart!  lol.  Plus, when kids are little like that, they put their hands in their mouth constantly.  I would rather, when they are that young, have them in the cart cover and at least avoid some shopping cart germs getting into their mouths.

• Vertical15
    January 25, 2013 at 10:15 AM

I never had one but I think they are good more for the things the moms have mentioned-keeping legs safe from really hot or cold metal or keeping little heads from bumping the hard metal while learning to sit up.  They can also be great to keep kids busy some have some nice toys attached!

• Lorraine2674
    January 25, 2013 at 2:29 PM
    Yep I use one for carts and high chairs when out..

Kids' Health

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts