Kids' Health

CafeMom Team
How do you typically fight off the cold and flu season with your family?
January 31, 2013 at 5:33 PM

We sent some moms a "Sick Day Supermom" package as part of the Children's Mucinex Program. In addition to a variety of fun items for their children, each mom received a coupon for Children's Mucinex and a gift card to help get their kids through the cold and flu season.

Read how these moms fight off the cold and flu season with their family and then share your story.

Because this is a post sponsored by Children's Mucinex, please do not reference any brand names in your comments. Comments that infringe on copyrights or trademarks (except for Children's Mucinex) may be deleted.

Click here to get a $2.00 off coupon for Children's Mucinex the next time you or your friend's child is sick with the cold or flu.  

CafeMom gives moms an opportunity to try our advertisers' products. In return, we ask our moms to share their true experiences and honest opinions. To learn how you can be an influencer, click here.

Replies

• hisemma
    by hisemma

I usually use OTC meds (unless a trip to the Dr is required :/ ), like Mucinex. My sister had actually told me about it and said it works wonders for her kids, and now I swear by it! :) I also use herbal teas w/ a bit of honey, if they want it. Other than those things, lots of tissues and lots of cough drops!

• erikays
    by erikays
    Since the flu is going around like crazy, my oldest goes straight to the bathroom and washes his hands, when coming home from school. Then I make sure to wipe down the sink handles and anything he touches before washing. With having two younger ones also, I try my hardest from everyone getting sick.

We use OTC meds, cough drops and nasal spray, if needed. For me, a lot of tea with honey and I try to pump the OJ into the kids.
  • nana9106

I am a stickler for hand washing and hand sanitizer, as prevenitive measures. When a cold or flu does strike, I start by using OTC meds, like Mucinex, to help with the miserable symptoms. Mucinex usually takes care of the coughing and stuffy nose and congestion. Which is great for all of us. :)

• elasmimi

I am also very strict about hand washing, and we carry hand sanitizers everywhere. I have been very confused about all the new rules about meds for kids, and am very cautious about even OTC meds, but my 6 y/o's pediatrician says Mucinex is safe to use.

• OHgirlinCA

We get our flu shots.  We make sure we practice good hygiene such as handwashing.  If someone does get sick, I place our vaporizer in the infected person's room at night.  It seems to help with nasal congestion and sore throats.  If need be, I also give the infected child a OTC cold medicine such as Children's Mucinex for my 5 year old, or regular Mucinex for my teenagers.  I make sure they get lots of rest and lots of fluids.

• muzzyh
    by muzzyh
    We get our flu shots almost as soon as they're available in the fall. We wash our hands like crazy, cover our coughs; if some nastiness does creep in, we usually stick to natural remedies, unless it gets very bad, then I'll do some OTC.
  • thatkidsmomkms

We wash our hands religiously. I also keep a small bottle of hand sanitizer in my purse for emergency use. When we do get sick, I count on OTC medications, rest, fluids, and time to heal. Unless a fever won't break, or there are signs of infection, we don't go to the doctor and pass it on to other people. So far, none of us has been sick this season, despite the flu being at near-epidemic proportions, and strep going through our local schools like wildfire.

• yngmom3
    by yngmom3

The flu is going around like crazy and with 3 school aged kids it never seems to fail that one kid will get sick then we pass it all around the house. There is A LOT of hand washing going around in my house. I have also been reminding my kids to cough into their elbow not their hands. The other staple in our house during cold and flu season is cough drops. When congestion or fever kicks in we resort to OTC meds hot tea warm baths and sometimes nasal sprays. 

If you ask my daughter the best way to avoid or get over a cold or flu she would say; "sunggling with mommy" 

I guess that's why I always end up getting sick sick

• luckyladytaurus

making sure everyone washes their hands, gets plenty of rest, take vitamins and at teh first sign of a cold start with lots of vitamin C.

• alf2651
    by alf2651

We wash our hands often and use hand sanitizer when needed. When we do get sick (and we've been sick a lot this winter!) we use OTC meds like Mucinex, plenty of rest, fluids and we've kept a cool mist humidifier in DD's room, which was recommended to us by her pediatrician. 

Kids' Health

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts