Kids' Health

CafeMom Team
How do you typically fight off the cold and flu season with your family?
January 31, 2013 at 5:33 PM

We sent some moms a "Sick Day Supermom" package as part of the Children's Mucinex Program. In addition to a variety of fun items for their children, each mom received a coupon for Children's Mucinex and a gift card to help get their kids through the cold and flu season.

Read how these moms fight off the cold and flu season with their family and then share your story.

Because this is a post sponsored by Children's Mucinex, please do not reference any brand names in your comments. Comments that infringe on copyrights or trademarks (except for Children's Mucinex) may be deleted.

Click here to get a $2.00 off coupon for Children's Mucinex the next time you or your friend's child is sick with the cold or flu.  

CafeMom gives moms an opportunity to try our advertisers' products. In return, we ask our moms to share their true experiences and honest opinions. To learn how you can be an influencer, click here.

Replies

• SaraLVA
    by SaraLVA
    February 17, 2013 at 9:15 PM

The first few years of daycare was sick-central for the whole house, but the oldest of us have now been cold free for most of the winter this year! I was looking forward to a chance to try the Mucinex; but haven't had a sick kid to try it on! 

• cookin_mama665
    February 19, 2013 at 5:59 PM

We all get flu shots. 

• crafthag
    February 19, 2013 at 9:50 PM

We have 5 children and are rarely ever sick. We eat a 98% organic diet, grass-fed and pastured meat, raw milk, vitamins, Kombucha and are very strict about NEVER EVER getting a flu shot, ever. I don't use hand santizer becuase it kills good bacteria and helps to breed super-bugs, the same with anti-bacterial soap. We use regular chemical/frangerance free natural soap to wash our hands.

We prefer to prevent illness with food instead of poison. Works for us, no illnesses aside from some sniffles and a mild fever once a year. We don't use over the counter meds, usually, it's just food and waiting out the symtoms. I've disovered that the sickness goes away MUCH quicker if you don't supress the symptoms.

• MommyOverboard
    February 19, 2013 at 9:59 PM

usually I just wash my hands frequently and avoid anyoen in the family that seems sick. Santatizer is also in ever room of the house. Lots of lysol and I clean a lot during the winter seasons. But this year, I failed. I didn't get my shot, and I was sticking to my plan...but it didnt help. I got the flu WHILE PREGNANT - what a terrible situation! 

• soontobemomof2k
    February 20, 2013 at 2:56 PM

My dd whos 4 and I get flu shots every year. She has diabetes so her drs recommend it for her because her getting the flu would most likely mean a trip (and stay) in the hospital. she does sick every year like clockwork with a bad cold and fever. It's the same one every year. It's never the flu because I always take her the dr and they do a rapid flu nose thing and its always negative. We always do motrin for the fever (hate tylenol!)  and we alternate between benadryl and sugar free robitussin (recommended for diabetics so she gets like a 1/4 of a teaspoon) A lot of the cold medicines contain medicines that diabetics shouldn't take because it will raise blood sugar quick. So I just have to try to treat the symptoms as best as I can.  I got sick with what she had- minus the fever and since I'm pregnant there's not much I think I can take either so I took benadryl because that's what worked best for her this time. Usually though whenver Im sick I take nyquil cold and flu and dayquil

• Mireya926
    February 20, 2013 at 5:43 PM

With the flu and cold season it hit our family pretty badly. My son and I got our flu shot late September. it stuck us all through January and again in Feb. I am a preschool teacher so am around germ 24/4 my son is in Kindergarten. I wash and clean surfaces all day, wash my hands like no tomorrow. One of my two group of children I teach,the whole class got the cold the flu. everyday I'd be missing for different children with  different flu like symptoms. I had sent kids home with fevers, throwing up, name it. As much as I told parents to be respectfulof other kids and keep their kids home if they noticed any signs. I got hit hard. I ended up in the ER with an allergic reaction to on particular medicine. NOT MUCINEX. When I thought I could go back to work both my son and DH. My son had to stay home today. I got Mucinex. Last night, I got no sleep keeping on eye on him so far after his morning dose he has been lying down, he been on mild liquids, made him noddle soup. gave him his second dose, he now sleeps. I hope mucimex is doing it job....

• goddess99
    February 22, 2013 at 11:21 AM

For us washing hands often is a must.

• Bmat
    by Bmat
    February 22, 2013 at 11:40 AM

I use Mucinex a lot. I also wash out my nasal passages with salt water, get enough rest, wash my hands frequently.

• Bmat
    by Bmat
    February 22, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Oh no! You must have been miserable! I hope you are feeling better now.

Quoting MommyOverboard:

usually I just wash my hands frequently and avoid anyoen in the family that seems sick. Santatizer is also in ever room of the house. Lots of lysol and I clean a lot during the winter seasons. But this year, I failed. I didn't get my shot, and I was sticking to my plan...but it didnt help. I got the flu WHILE PREGNANT - what a terrible situation! 

• Bmat
    by Bmat
    February 22, 2013 at 11:42 AM

I hope that you are feeling better now.

Quoting gmadiane:

I have the flu right now, day 2, resting, plenty of fluid and tylenol for me

Kids' Health

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN