Kids' Health

hismrsramirez86
Passing Your Cold??
January 7, 2013 at 6:50 AM
I have a week and a half old baby boy and well I'm starting to get sick :( I both breastfeed and formula feed him. My thing is will I pass my cold to him if I breastfeed him?? He's too little to get sick right now and its too early for me to get sick when he's this lil.

Replies

• emmy526
    by emmy526
    January 7, 2013 at 7:11 AM

you will pass antibodies from your cold in your breastmilk to him...he may get the sniffles, but it shouldn't be a full blown cold.  Try to breastfeed as much as possible to get him those antibodies he needs.

• amonkeymom
    Amy
    January 7, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Nah, he shouldn't get it.

• hismrsramirez86
    January 7, 2013 at 4:42 PM
    That's a relief lol
  • karamille
    January 7, 2013 at 7:06 PM

He should be fine.  You can use saline drops in his nose if he should get stuffy to help him breathe while sucking.  

• MammaKoi
    January 7, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Nope not sick from the breast milk, keep feeding him. He will probably get a little sick from you but the antibodies you make in your body passes to him in your breast milk and will help him kick that nasty cold! 

• PrincessZ20
    January 7, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Breastfeeding is the best thing you can do for him now!  He'll get the antibodies your body is making to help him fight it off :)

If he does get congested, try a little breast milk in his nose instead of saline drops - instead of trying to aim, I express a little into a cup and use a dropper or syringe to get it in the nose. 

Good luck!!

• egyptian_mommy
    January 7, 2013 at 9:29 PM
    Breastfeeding is actually the best thing you can do for him right now. Keep nursing Mama!
  • Vertical15
    January 8, 2013 at 3:24 PM

I have no new advice but kudos for breastfeeding!  Its the best thing you can do for your LO.

• frndlyfn
    January 8, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Nope.  You will not pass the actual cold to him unless you sneeze or cough on his face.

• hismrsramirez86
    January 8, 2013 at 5:01 PM
    Thanx ladies :)

Kids' Health

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts