Kids' Health

JenWilson
Dental health
January 4, 2013 at 1:17 PM

So I have a question. I took my son to the dentist last week. They told us he is "getting" a cavity on the side (in between two teeth) up towards the top of the tooth. Not that he has a cavity but he is getting one. He told us this is a common spot for cavities in young children because the only way you can really get to it is by flossing and that is often hard to do for children that young. They wanted me to schedule an appointment to have it filled. Here is my dillema, this is one of the front teeth, he is 5 1/2 so he will begin losing teeth soon and that will be one of them, and we have state insurance so the procedure is free. I wonder if we did not have insurance and were paying straight out of our pocket would the dentist tell us we had two options a.) get the filling or b.) wait because the tooth is going to fall out soon anyway. However, since we have insurance it costs nothing for us. We have had a heck of a time getting him comfortable with the dentist to begin with and he is just now to the point where he doesn't freak out, I'm afraid getting a filling is going to traumatize him to where he does not want to go back again. I never had to have fillings as a kid so this is all new to me and I really don't know what to do. Thoughts?

Replies

• amonkeymom
    Amy
    January 4, 2013 at 2:32 PM

My son had some cavities in baby teeth a couple of years ago and the dentist decided against filling them because they were all teeth that were due to fall out within a year or two and instead recommended flossing and good oral hygiene.  He has since lost the baby teeth and has no cavities.

• Vertical15
    January 4, 2013 at 8:33 PM

You could get a second opinion but that could mean paying out of pocket depending on your insurance?  Or call and ask what the damage could be to let it go since the teeth may go soon instead of putting him through the trama.  I think maybe if you leave it it could cause more damage but I could be wrong. 

When my oldest was little he had a cavity between his front teeth and they wanted to pull them.  We let them and had no issues though he was very scared he watched Finding Nemo (I think that was the movie) and he did very well.  Though he never had dentist issues and still doesn't.

• egyptian_mommy
    January 4, 2013 at 9:17 PM
    I think given your situation I'd probably leave it alone. As you said he'll start losing them soon, it's not even a full on cavity yet and he's already scared and having a tough time.
  • TigerofMu
    January 6, 2013 at 9:19 AM

If you floss and make sure that that area is clean for him can you stop the progression of the cavity?  If it isn't hurting him and you can keep it from getting worse, then because of his age and the fact that he will be losing teeth soon, I might just leave it.  I don't have a lot of experience with cavities though, so I may be way off base.

• twinmommy2010
    January 6, 2013 at 10:33 AM

cavities can lead to a infection.  Even if it is a baby tooth it still can get infected. Infected tooth can lead to many other problems. I would have it taken care of.

• PrincessZ20
    January 6, 2013 at 10:04 PM

My concern would be that one cavity can lead to a cavity in the tooth next to it, especially if it's between two teeth. 

I know some kids don't lose their baby teeth until much later - some friends have 7 year olds who haven't lost any teeth yet!  Alex, however, lost his first tooth at 5 1/2 :) 

I think a second opinion might be your best bet! 

Good luck!!

• Xandriasmommy
    January 6, 2013 at 10:13 PM
    In my family we don't lose teeth until much older. I had the last of my baby teeth pulled at 13. We don't get teeth till older too so that's why. My dd got her 2 year molars a month before her 4th birthday.

Because of our family I would just fill it because of how long it takes to come out...
  • sunshine86912
    January 7, 2013 at 4:47 AM

yeah I would get a second opinion if that was possible (other than ours lol)

• emmy526
    by emmy526
    January 7, 2013 at 7:12 AM

get it done, because the baby tooth can rot, affecting the permanent teeth.  State ins should pay for a second opinion, too...they have for us. 

• ennui
    by ennui
    January 7, 2013 at 7:23 PM

I would leave it.  If an actual cavity were to develop you could reassess.  Brushing well and getting plenty of calcium...places like that can actually repair themselves if it isn't just a horrendous cavity.

Kids' Health

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN