Kids' Health

egyptian_mommy
Potatoes
December 11, 2012 at 9:10 PM
Do you view them as a healthy thing or otherwise?

Replies

• TigerofMu
    December 11, 2012 at 9:59 PM

I think the potassium is important, and you can cook them in relatively healthy ways, like baking with the skin on.  Sweet potatoes are a lot better for you nutrient wise though.

• PrincessZ20
    December 11, 2012 at 10:41 PM

I view them as kind of neutral...I wouldn't serve them as a vegetable in a meal, but I still serve them somewhat regularly. 

• LntLckrsCmQut
    December 11, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Potatoes are very healthy, especially if you eat the skin. It's what you do to them that isn't healthy.

• LntLckrsCmQut
    December 11, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Potatoes contain more nutrients than just potassium. 1 potato with skin that has been baked containes 48% Vit C, contains iron(18%), Vit A and calcium. Bake it with a bit of good quality oil and you boost the nutrient content up even more. Potatoes also contain 26% fiber and 7 grams of protein.

Quoting TigerofMu:

I think the potassium is important, and you can cook them in relatively healthy ways, like baking with the skin on.  Sweet potatoes are a lot better for you nutrient wise though.

• auntangelofsix
    December 11, 2012 at 11:19 PM
    yes
  • frndlyfn
    December 12, 2012 at 2:16 AM

They can be healthy but the healthiest part is their skin which most of us throw away.

• batjmom
    by batjmom
    December 12, 2012 at 7:10 AM

I think of them as healthy.  I had seasoning to the outside before baking and the kids love that.  We dont add anything else to ours

• TerriC
    by TerriC
    December 12, 2012 at 7:45 AM

I think they can be healthy if prepared to be so.  I love potatoes.  =-)

• Vertical15
    December 12, 2012 at 10:59 AM

I think they are healthy.  Eaten just like anything else, made healthy and portions correct.

• egyptian_mommy
    December 12, 2012 at 1:52 PM
    I agree that in general they're decently healthy but it's all in the preparation. :-)

Kids' Health

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN