Kids' Health

egyptian_mommy
Potatoes
December 11, 2012 at 9:10 PM
Do you view them as a healthy thing or otherwise?

Replies

• TigerofMu
    December 11, 2012 at 9:59 PM

I think the potassium is important, and you can cook them in relatively healthy ways, like baking with the skin on.  Sweet potatoes are a lot better for you nutrient wise though.

• PrincessZ20
    December 11, 2012 at 10:41 PM

I view them as kind of neutral...I wouldn't serve them as a vegetable in a meal, but I still serve them somewhat regularly. 

• LntLckrsCmQut
    December 11, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Potatoes are very healthy, especially if you eat the skin. It's what you do to them that isn't healthy.

• LntLckrsCmQut
    December 11, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Potatoes contain more nutrients than just potassium. 1 potato with skin that has been baked containes 48% Vit C, contains iron(18%), Vit A and calcium. Bake it with a bit of good quality oil and you boost the nutrient content up even more. Potatoes also contain 26% fiber and 7 grams of protein.

Quoting TigerofMu:

I think the potassium is important, and you can cook them in relatively healthy ways, like baking with the skin on.  Sweet potatoes are a lot better for you nutrient wise though.

• auntangelofsix
    December 11, 2012 at 11:19 PM
    yes
  • frndlyfn
    December 12, 2012 at 2:16 AM

They can be healthy but the healthiest part is their skin which most of us throw away.

• batjmom
    by batjmom
    December 12, 2012 at 7:10 AM

I think of them as healthy.  I had seasoning to the outside before baking and the kids love that.  We dont add anything else to ours

• TerriC
    by TerriC
    December 12, 2012 at 7:45 AM

I think they can be healthy if prepared to be so.  I love potatoes.  =-)

• Vertical15
    December 12, 2012 at 10:59 AM

I think they are healthy.  Eaten just like anything else, made healthy and portions correct.

• egyptian_mommy
    December 12, 2012 at 1:52 PM
    I agree that in general they're decently healthy but it's all in the preparation. :-)

Kids' Health

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts