Kids' Health

TonyaLea
Aspergers, no more
December 4, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Have you heard that APA has officially dropped Aspergers from their manual?  Most people close to the subject have been expecting this change for a while, but it is now official.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-57556754/aspergers-syndrome-dropped-from-american-psychiatric-association-manual/

"The familiar "Asperger's," along with some similar disorders, will be lumped together under autism spectrum disorder, "to help more accurately and consistently diagnose children with autism," the APA said in a statement.

Other changes include entries for new disorders such as "hoarding disorder" or "disruptive mood dysregulation disorder (DMDD)," the latter characterized by abnormally bad and frequent temper tantrums. "Dyslexia" and other learning disorders that some feared would be removed from the manual, remained."

Do you know anyone previously diagnosed with Aspergers?  Do you fear that these changes will affect their care?

Replies

• fortheboys1218
    December 5, 2012 at 9:24 AM
    I a not sure how I feel about this my youngest on was just dx this year, my SO has it as welI dont thinhk it will change the care he gets, but i know it has been a problem in AS community. I hope for all who has AS that the change in wording doesnt have a negative effect
  • ForeverInLove
    December 5, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Wouldn't children with Asperger's then have more help? As, I would think children with Autism would qualify for more therapy and help, vs. children with high functioning autism (aspergers)... I might be misunderstanding all of this.

• ZsMommy
    by ZsMommy
    December 5, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Well-speaking from someone with a child on the spectrum-and knowing that for many-services are often denied because often those who were previously categorized as "Asperger's"-on the basis that they are considered "high functioning" I feel this is a beneficial change. Services can no longer be denied on the basis of an "Asperger's diagnosis.

Plus-it will end this division of "my kid isn't autistic-they have Asperger's"-umm-no-it's called a "spectrum disorder for a reason...from  those with (lower function) multiple needs to those who are mainly affected in social areas. It's autism-plain and simple.

• Xandriasmommy
    December 5, 2012 at 10:10 AM
    Thank you! It's an old picture but one of my favorites, she was 18 months in it...

Quoting Sammi20:

I just had to say... Your DD is SO CUTE!!! (your profile picture)

Quoting Xandriasmommy:

My dd was recently diagnosed with aspergers...

• ZsMommy
    by ZsMommy
    December 5, 2012 at 10:12 AM

the division of asperger's to HFA is speech delays-My daughter has speech and comprehension delays-and is catagorized with an autism diagnosis in order to cover services. Those with an asperger's diagnosis have actually been denied services because they are considered "too" high functioning-meaning no speech delays. Mainly social skills.

So no-Aspergers has not equalled more services. Too many have been denied.

Asperger's and HFA have always been divided simply on whether there are speech or no speech delays. It's a thin gossamer thread of division. One allowed services-the other not.

This would even the qualifications.

Quoting ForeverInLove:

Wouldn't children with Asperger's then have more help? As, I would think children with Autism would qualify for more therapy and help, vs. children with high functioning autism (aspergers)... I might be misunderstanding all of this.

• letstalk747
    December 5, 2012 at 10:51 AM

we shall see , my son is DX  -   autism , ADHD 7 years now

• LoveMyLos
    December 5, 2012 at 10:53 AM
    I think this may actually help with diagnosing my ds. Without having to figure out if its apsergers, or autism or......he may be diagnosed as just autistic if that makes sense.
  • Mary229
    by Mary229
    December 5, 2012 at 10:56 AM

I have a nephew that has been diagnosed with Aspergers.  I don't think it will have an effect on the care he receives.  Back when my brother and his wife realized something was wrong (27 or so years ago) the doctors didn't have a name for it.  They finally slapped this label on him somewhere down the line, after doing many tests and debating about various labels for different disorders.  He is the way he is, and he will remain that way regardless of what some professional decides to call it.  Regardless, he will continue to qualify for state aid because he is unable to function in society on his own.  At least all of the doctors can agree on that point.

• Meghan6391
    December 5, 2012 at 11:03 AM
    I think it just makes it seem like they are making them all seem like childish problems, i mean which grown adult wants to be told they are having temper tantrums... and from my experience with autism and aspergers they are very different at least in adults...
  • MamaKarrot
    December 5, 2012 at 11:19 AM

My DS 7 has Asperger's but with some more severe autistic behaviors thrown in.  He is too high functioning to receive services at school (his behaviors don't interrupt his school work to the point where he needs help), but our insurance covers leg braces to correct his legs from constant toe walking - things like that.  I always considered him autistic, and I am glad the name Asperger's is gone, because it somehow insinuates that these kids need less help, which is not always true. 

Kids' Health

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts