Kids' Health

TrinitysMomma08
How to get her to poop...
November 30, 2012 at 6:25 AM
My daughter just went through a horrible ordeal of having feces manually removes from her bum, and then an enema a half hour later because there was still way too much too far in.

Apparently one highly possible reason for the impaction was her holding her bowels in, too afraid to go because it hurt. Well, everything was removed and she has been taking Miralax once a day as well as eating higher fiber foods.

My problem is she is still holding her bowels in.

She woke up last night at 9:30 rocking back and forth trying to hold it in so I picked her up and ran her to the bathroom. Kicking and crying, I finally got her pants off slightly and sat her on the toilet. She wouldn't go but one piece finally came out. She got some on my hand and shirt (before she went.. This was when I was still trying to get her pants off).

I can tell she is holding it in still. How do I get her to finally poop?!

She will be going to her fathers today for the weekend, and I'm afraid he will just ignore the situation and she will end up back in the ER.

I'd like to start her on a daily fiber gummy to help regulate her. Does anyone have any other advice as to what I can do for her, or give her to help her bowels come out much softer and easier? Any good bribes, too? Lol. I'm almost out of birthday presents to give her (she gets a present if she takes her laxative or if she poops.. No pooping yet though).

I'm scared to death that this will happen again. She was in so much pain and she's so tiny, it's so difficult to watch her to through something like that.

Thank you in advance. :)

Replies

• TerriC
    by TerriC
    November 30, 2012 at 7:31 AM

How old is she?  That is a hard situation.  My daughter has dealt with constipation since she was an infant.  It isn't that she won't go, most of the time she just can't.  I used to have to mix prune juice in with whatever she was drinking.

• TrinitysMomma08
    November 30, 2012 at 7:39 AM
    Shea turning 4 in six days. We've never had to deal with constipation and for some reason, she skated right into being impacted. I'll be mixing prune juice as well.

She's funny about it though. She knows when I've spiked her drink with something else, no matter what it is (aside from the miralax because that's tasteless).
  • pnut1027
    November 30, 2012 at 7:44 AM
    I have a friend that her DD has be dealing with this since she was an infant. She is 6 yrs old now & is still on Miralax & they have also started giving her dried prunes to her to help soften & keep her regular.
  • karamille
    November 30, 2012 at 7:47 AM

I would keep up the miralax.  Better she have diarrhea than get impacted again.  Make it soft enough with the mirlax that she can't hold it in even if she wants to.  You can take miralax daily.  Its not habit forming.  I think maybe they didn't really inform you as well as they should have.  Once their bowel gets stretched like that, it can take 6 months of miralax getting their stool very very soft/liquidy to allow their colon to return to its regular shape.  Once you get her cleaned out, you can lower the dose a bit until you get her pooping once or twice a day soft easy to pass stool but keep using it daily.  There is no quick fix for this.  Make her poop very very soft with the miralax so she can't hold it in even if she wants to and she will start to learn its better to go to the potty than poop in her pants.  

• starreyedcutie
    November 30, 2012 at 7:50 AM
    Glycerin suppositories.....it will help her
  • TonyaLea
    November 30, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Foods that start with P help you "Poop,"  LOL.  

Peaches, Prunes, Pears, Plums, Peas...all are high in fiber and can help regulate you.  I would load her up with as much as you can, in addition to the meds.  And lots of water.

Startchy foods will also have the opposite effect, and should be avoided.  These are the things in the BRAT diet for kids with diarhea (Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, and Toast), as well as things like potatoes.

• hwifeandmom
    November 30, 2012 at 2:45 PM

If she can still withhold her bowel movements, then she's not on a high enough dose of laxatives.  With some meds, it's dangerous to take additional doses.  With laxatives, the dosage is very individual.  You don't want to give so much that your daughter gets chronic diarrhea and becomes dehydrated, but otherwise, it is safe to use enough laxatives to get the job done (daily eliminating a sufficient quantity of healthy poop).  Gradually increase your daughter's laxatives every day or two until you find a dose that prevents her from withholding her bowels.

There are two basic types of laxatives:  stimulant and non-stimulant (stool-softening laxatives).  Stimulant laxatives force bowel contractions to semi-quickly eliminate stool.  Stimulant laxatives are for occasional use only since the body can become dependent on them.

Non-stimulant, stool-softening laxatives help hold water in the stool to keep it soft.  They are not habit-forming (the body does not grow dependent on them), so they are safe for long-term daily use.  Some good ones are Miralax, Benefiber, Milk of Magnesia, Fiber Choice with Inulin, Fiber gummies, and Metamucil's new Clear-and-Natural with Inulin powder.  Several of the fiber gummies I've seen are Inulin-based.  Inulin is plant based, from chicory root.  It is fine to use both fiber gummies and Miralax (or any other combination of laxatives).

Because your daughter apparently has really good bowel control (the ability to withhold her poop), then you'll need to give her enough laxatives to make her poop very, very soft, possibly even borderling diarrhea.  Once she's pooped in the toilet enough times to overcome her toileting fears, then you can gradually reduce the amount of laxatives she uses each day.  This may take several weeks or longer.

Eating is supposed to provide the body with a natural laxative effect (like how babies poop right after eating). Many doctors will recommend having your child sit on the toilet about 15-min after mealtime (esp breakfast & dinner), and sit for 10-15 minutes, to try to work with the body's natural rhthyms.  Even if your daughter doesn't poop, having her sit and try is helpful.  Let her blow on blow-out party favors and balloons while sitting on the toilet, since those use the same muscles as those needed to poop.  If she doesn't want to do that, then let her read or play with a special toy, to help relax her while sitting on the toilet.

Good luck.

• TrinitysMomma08
    November 30, 2012 at 5:37 PM
    Quoting hwifeandmom:

If she can still withhold her bowel movements, then she's not on a high enough dose of laxatives.  With some meds, it's dangerous to take additional doses.  With laxatives, the dosage is very individual.  You don't want to give so much that your daughter gets chronic diarrhea and becomes dehydrated, but otherwise, it is safe to use enough laxatives to get the job done (daily eliminating a sufficient quantity of healthy poop).  Gradually increase your daughter's laxatives every day or two until you find a dose that prevents her from withholding her bowels.

There are two basic types of laxatives:  stimulant and non-stimulant (stool-softening laxatives).  Stimulant laxatives force bowel contractions to semi-quickly eliminate stool.  Stimulant laxatives are for occasional use only since the body can become dependent on them.

Non-stimulant, stool-softening laxatives help hold water in the stool to keep it soft.  They are not habit-forming (the body does not grow dependent on them), so they are safe for long-term daily use.  Some good ones are Miralax, Benefiber, Milk of Magnesia, Fiber Choice with Inulin, Fiber gummies, and Metamucil's new Clear-and-Natural with Inulin powder.  Several of the fiber gummies I've seen are Inulin-based.  Inulin is plant based, from chicory root.  It is fine to use both fiber gummies and Miralax (or any other combination of laxatives).

Because your daughter apparently has really good bowel control (the ability to withhold her poop), then you'll need to give her enough laxatives to make her poop very, very soft, possibly even borderling diarrhea.  Once she's pooped in the toilet enough times to overcome her toileting fears, then you can gradually reduce the amount of laxatives she uses each day.  This may take several weeks or longer.

Eating is supposed to provide the body with a natural laxative effect (like how babies poop right after eating). Many doctors will recommend having your child sit on the toilet about 15-min after mealtime (esp breakfast & dinner), and sit for 10-15 minutes, to try to work with the body's natural rhthyms.  Even if your daughter doesn't poop, having her sit and try is helpful.  Let her blow on blow-out party favors and balloons while sitting on the toilet, since those use the same muscles as those needed to poop.  If she doesn't want to do that, then let her read or play with a special toy, to help relax her while sitting on the toilet.

Good luck.

Thank you SO much for this information. This is probably the most informative and helpful chunk of info that I have gotten so far.

Unfortunately my daughter will be with her father until Tuesday when she is back with me. Because he is not keen on properly communicating with me, I probably won't know how she is doing with everything until I see her for myself Tuesday.

I planned to use the fiber gummies and have asked her father to do the same but he never responded. She is on a daily dose of Miralax and I have upped her fiber intake as well as her fluids. She is able to hold her bowels in because she just strayed the Miralax. I was told she can only have one dose a day and she gets 17gm every morning. Same as me.

I tried putting another laxative (stool softener) into her juice but she can taste it and refuses to drink it. But I will try your suggestions of combinations to get her stools to be soft.

Thanks again so much. Incredibly helpful!
  • egyptian_mommy
    November 30, 2012 at 8:51 PM
    Great info!

Quoting hwifeandmom:

Good luck.

• egyptian_mommy
    November 30, 2012 at 8:54 PM
    Also OP, a serious talk with her father is in order. Explain to him exactly what she just went through and why it's so important for him to stick with the Miralax and fiber gummies. Make sure he knows this is for your dd's health and well being and that this isn't something to act childish about. I hope he listens.

Kids' Health

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts