Kids' Health

sophiegrace
6 mo old with cough for 3 months...RSV? Bronchitis? Flu?
November 18, 2012 at 12:09 PM

First time mom here and I think I'm going crazy! Labor day my baby boy got his first daycare virus. Doc said there was nothing he could take because he was still so young and just advised us to do saline fushes and humidifier. We've been doing that now for almost 3 months. We've taken him back for his normal check up and 2 other times just to see if there is anything they can do. She said it's not in his lungs but his cough is awful. We can feel it when we hold him. He hasn't had a fever since Labor day and now this weekend he got a fever. His little cheeks will get bright red with almost a rash type look. His back has a little rash too. I've been searching the internet for symptoms and advice but instead it's making me think the worst. I want to trust my doctor but now I'm wondering if I should take him somewhere for a 2nd opinion. I've been counting his breaths and last count was 56 in a minute. Websites say 60+ call a doc asap...he's almost there!! I really think he needs a nebulizer and chest x-rays, but am I just worrying too much? My mom has been saying there's something wrong for a month but I just tell her to chill out and relay my doc's message. Now I'm starting to feel like a horrible mom, like maybe I didn't push for better care and now maybe I've caused serious damage to his little body by making him fight this virus/disease on his own. I also had my first experience with projectile vomit last night. This mom job is craaaazy!!! I know I'm not doing myself any favors by looking at all these websites, but really, what should I do? 2nd opinion or see my same doc but ask for chest x-rays?

Replies

• knagsmom
    November 18, 2012 at 1:50 PM
    Take him to urgent care or er. Also get eucaliptus oil ans put a few drops in a boiling pot of water on the stove. Let the steam fill the house. It helps open him up.
  • homextownxgirl
    November 18, 2012 at 2:01 PM
    Hospital go now tell them about the doc let them know ur worried about him and they will run alot of test but at least u will know but u will be there for a while.... Rsv cant turn into asthma.. My son's did.. So dont wait do it... I hope he is okay.. And ur a good mom sometimes we want to put so much trust into our doc.'s we r fooled or made to beleave things r fine when they r not.. so just being worried shows ur a good mom... Bless u n ur family hope all turns out well...
  • karamille
    November 18, 2012 at 5:51 PM

The rash makes me think he may have strep.  It definitely sounds like there's something going on with his airways.  I would suspect asthma/RAD or GERD causing the cough.  

• PrincessZ20
    November 18, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Any sort of respiratory infection can be so scary, especially when they're so little. 

If it makes you feel any better, there have been so many times I was positive my boys' lungs sounded horrific so we went to the doctor, only to be told that the congestion was actually in their noses/sinuses.  I guess that it frequently sounds/feels like it's in their lungs though!

That being said, momma knows best.  I don't think it would hurt to ask your regular doctor for chest x-rays, or, if s/he refuses, to seek a second opinion.

Good luck, I hope he feels better soon!

• sophiegrace
    November 18, 2012 at 11:25 PM
    Yep that's what doc said...cough was due to post nasal drip. But I called today and they said I could bring him in to try nebulizer treatments. Fingers crossed! Thanks!
  • TigerofMu
    November 19, 2012 at 10:33 AM

I would definitely be going to another doctor, or the ER.

• egyptian_mommy
    November 20, 2012 at 8:25 PM
    Yeah you need a second opinion.
  • TonyaLea
    November 20, 2012 at 9:17 PM

I would ask for him to be tested for whooping cough.  They are now saying anyone with a cough lasting more than around 3 weeks should be tested. 

It could be lots of things, but a cough lasting 3 months is definitely something that should be looked into.  I would go to a different doctor if yours refuses to do some additional testing.

• MrsNewman
    November 20, 2012 at 9:21 PM
    My daughter had whooping cough at 6 wks old an I had to take her for a second option because her dr. Just kept telling me it was a cold. Mothers always know, follow your instinct. My daughter ended up in the hospital but it was the best place for her at the time. Good luck. I hope he starts feeling better.

Quoting TonyaLea:

I would ask for him to be tested for whooping cough.  They are now saying anyone with a cough lasting more than around 3 weeks should be tested. 

Kids' Health

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts