Kids' Health

jlbelknap35
Milk thinking
October 12, 2012 at 10:10 AM
I was thinking about when I am going to switoffers (11 months) off of formula and started thinking about maybe not going to regular milk but maybe try him on rice, almond, or coconut milk. I was reading up on the dairy in milk and some times the switch doesn't do well and makes them fussy and as grumpy of a baby as Ds has been was not wanting to risk any more crankiness. What do you moms think?

Replies

• TerriC
    by TerriC
    October 12, 2012 at 12:39 PM

I think I would ask your pedi.  I am not sure of the sugar content in the ones you listed.  =-)

• Vertical15
    October 12, 2012 at 1:00 PM

I would also talk to the dr first but I don't see why it can't be done.  My 4yo tried milk and it didn't go well.  He does great with Almond though-I buy the unsweetened kind.

• MissElissa21
    October 12, 2012 at 2:49 PM

If the formula you use is cow's milk based, then I wouldn't think switching to cow's milk would be a big issue. If it's a soy based formula, you may want to switch to soy milk, but only in moderation as soy has it's issues when consumed too much. Other milks are a nice treat, but not necessary to a diet. Almond, rice, and soy milk are not really milk, they are basically water with a handful of the almonds, rice, or soy blended together to look like milk. I like hemp milk personally, but it's an acquired taste. Baby can get all it's necessary vitamins from fuits and veggies, leaving milk completely out if you really needed to.

• new_mom808
    October 12, 2012 at 7:35 PM

We transitioned from breast milk to whole milk and quickly switched to almond and rice. He still gets the occasional cow milk, and I use it in cooking, but now at 4 he drinks mostly water and some juice.

• egyptian_mommy
    October 12, 2012 at 8:41 PM
    MissElissa had a good point about what kind of formula he is on now.
  • PrincessZ20
    October 12, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Agreed!  The biggest thing is to make sure he's getting enough of those healthy fats and calcium from somewhere :)

Quoting MissElissa21:

If the formula you use is cow's milk based, then I wouldn't think switching to cow's milk would be a big issue. If it's a soy based formula, you may want to switch to soy milk, but only in moderation as soy has it's issues when consumed too much. Other milks are a nice treat, but not necessary to a diet. Almond, rice, and soy milk are not really milk, they are basically water with a handful of the almonds, rice, or soy blended together to look like milk. I like hemp milk personally, but it's an acquired taste. Baby can get all it's necessary vitamins from fuits and veggies, leaving milk completely out if you really needed to.

• TigerofMu
    October 14, 2012 at 7:15 AM

I think if that's something your family is interested in then you should check it out.

Kids' Health

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts