Kids' Health

jlbelknap35
Milk thinking
October 12, 2012 at 10:10 AM
I was thinking about when I am going to switoffers (11 months) off of formula and started thinking about maybe not going to regular milk but maybe try him on rice, almond, or coconut milk. I was reading up on the dairy in milk and some times the switch doesn't do well and makes them fussy and as grumpy of a baby as Ds has been was not wanting to risk any more crankiness. What do you moms think?

Replies

• TerriC
    by TerriC
    October 12, 2012 at 12:39 PM

I think I would ask your pedi.  I am not sure of the sugar content in the ones you listed.  =-)

• Vertical15
    October 12, 2012 at 1:00 PM

I would also talk to the dr first but I don't see why it can't be done.  My 4yo tried milk and it didn't go well.  He does great with Almond though-I buy the unsweetened kind.

• MissElissa21
    October 12, 2012 at 2:49 PM

If the formula you use is cow's milk based, then I wouldn't think switching to cow's milk would be a big issue. If it's a soy based formula, you may want to switch to soy milk, but only in moderation as soy has it's issues when consumed too much. Other milks are a nice treat, but not necessary to a diet. Almond, rice, and soy milk are not really milk, they are basically water with a handful of the almonds, rice, or soy blended together to look like milk. I like hemp milk personally, but it's an acquired taste. Baby can get all it's necessary vitamins from fuits and veggies, leaving milk completely out if you really needed to.

• new_mom808
    October 12, 2012 at 7:35 PM

We transitioned from breast milk to whole milk and quickly switched to almond and rice. He still gets the occasional cow milk, and I use it in cooking, but now at 4 he drinks mostly water and some juice.

• egyptian_mommy
    October 12, 2012 at 8:41 PM
    MissElissa had a good point about what kind of formula he is on now.
  • PrincessZ20
    October 12, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Agreed!  The biggest thing is to make sure he's getting enough of those healthy fats and calcium from somewhere :)

Quoting MissElissa21:

If the formula you use is cow's milk based, then I wouldn't think switching to cow's milk would be a big issue. If it's a soy based formula, you may want to switch to soy milk, but only in moderation as soy has it's issues when consumed too much. Other milks are a nice treat, but not necessary to a diet. Almond, rice, and soy milk are not really milk, they are basically water with a handful of the almonds, rice, or soy blended together to look like milk. I like hemp milk personally, but it's an acquired taste. Baby can get all it's necessary vitamins from fuits and veggies, leaving milk completely out if you really needed to.

• TigerofMu
    October 14, 2012 at 7:15 AM

I think if that's something your family is interested in then you should check it out.

Kids' Health