sununner36
Cold Remedy
January 20, 2013 at 11:40 AM

I have heard Cinnamon and locally grown Honey will cure it within 2 days.  How much of each and what do you actually do with them?

Replies

• mypbandj
    Jen
    January 20, 2013 at 1:40 PM
    Idk. Here's a bump.
  • deedee3849
    January 20, 2013 at 6:40 PM

I'm not sure on the honey cinnamon ratio but I have also heard good things about them both. I have had my boys use honey for a cough....without too much success =(

I use elderberry syrup with my boys (and myself and dh) at the onset of a cold. In our experience it really seems to help shorten the duration. Elderberry is suppose to be an immune booster. I loved it so much I bought elderberry plants so I can make my own syrup (this summer). It has honey in it, and cinnamon. Here's the recipe I'm using. Just a note: The elderberry stems and leaves are toxic. Must make sure to add the berries only to make the recipe. No stems alllowed!

Elderberry Syrup Recipe

Published October 14, 2011 | By jamiew

http://simplynon-toxic.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/elderberry-syrup-225x300.jpgI heard about Elderberry Syrup last Fall and never got around to testing it out until now. It is yummy and VERY sweet, no wonder my 2 year old loves it! I have been on a kitchen kick so instead of purchasing some I decided make a batch. It was very easy and inexpensive!

I watched this video by Mountain Rose Herbs: Elderberry Syrup 

Many recipes that I have seen do not have the cloves, cinnamon or ginger in them - these are added immune boosting elements and 1 (or all of them) can be eliminated if you do not have any on hand. If you are lucky enough you can harvest your own. If that is not a possibility you can purchase dried Elderberries from your local herbalist or online from Mountain Rose Herbs.

What you will need:

1/2 c. Dried Elderberries (or 1 c. fresh)

5 Whole Cloves

1 Cinnamon Stick

1/2 tsp. Freshly Grated Ginger

2 c. Filtered Water

1 c. Raw Local Honey

1 Medium Saucepan with Lid

1 20-32 oz Glass Mason Jar with Lid - to store syrup in. Or several small jars or a jar made for pouring liquids.

1 Spoon

1 Colander

Directions:

1. Heat the berries, cloves, cinnamon, ginger and water to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer covered for 30-45 minuets until the liquid is about half of the original amount.

2.  Pour the mixture into a clean jar/bottle through a strainer, mash the berries to get all of the good juice out.

3.  Add 1 cup of honey and stir until dissolved.

4.  Label and store, refrigerated  for 2-3 months.

* I found some interesting information about Elderberry Syrup and how other people make it. Here are a couple of blogs with a ton of great Elderberry information: MrsSurvival,ModernAlternativeMamaNatural Herbs 101 (List of Medicinal Herbs Safe for Breastfeeding), Livestrong and JustPlainLivin.

I hope that this inspires you to use this natural remedy this cold and flu season. I know this is going to be a staple in our house from now on! Enjoy!

• darbyakeep45
    January 20, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Above sounds good:)  I honestly don't know!  

• cookinmommyof1
    January 20, 2013 at 11:47 PM
    Honey has natural antibacterial/antiinflammatory properties to it. Cinnamon is good for immune system and blood sugar regulation. Also oregano is a natural painkiller and has antibacterial properties. Also at the onset of a cold if you nup your zinc it really helps you get over it quicker.
  • cookinmommyof1
    January 20, 2013 at 11:48 PM
    I have an uncle who makes elderberry wine that could strip the paint from a car. Lol. The berries themselves are really good, though. And his grape wine is amazing. He grown and makes everything himself.

Quoting deedee3849:

I'm not sure on the honey cinnamon ratio but I have also heard good things about them both. I have had my boys use honey for a cough....without too much success =(

I use elderberry syrup with my boys (and myself and dh) at the onset of a cold. In our experience it really seems to help shorten the duration. Elderberry is suppose to be an immune booster. I loved it so much I bought elderberry plants so I can make my own syrup (this summer). It has honey in it, and cinnamon. Here's the recipe I'm using. Just a note: The elderberry stems and leaves are toxic. Must make sure to add the berries only to make the recipe. No stems alllowed!

Elderberry Syrup Recipe

http://simplynon-toxic.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/elderberry-syrup-225x300.jpgI heard about Elderberry Syrup last Fall and never got around to testing it out until now. It is yummy and VERY sweet, no wonder my 2 year old loves it! I have been on a kitchen kick so instead of purchasing some I decided make a batch. It was very easy and inexpensive!

Many recipes that I have seen do not have the cloves, cinnamon or ginger in them - these are added immune boosting elements and 1 (or all of them) can be eliminated if you do not have any on hand. If you are lucky enough you can harvest your own. If that is not a possibility you can purchase dried Elderberries from your local herbalist or online from Mountain Rose Herbs.

What you will need:

5 Whole Cloves

1 Cinnamon Stick

2 c. Filtered Water

1 c. Raw Local Honey

1 20-32 oz Glass Mason Jar with Lid - to store syrup in. Or several small jars or a jar made for pouring liquids.

1 Spoon

1 Colander

Directions:

1. Heat the berries, cloves, cinnamon, ginger and water to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer covered for 30-45 minuets until the liquid is about half of the original amount.

2.  Pour the mixture into a clean jar/bottle through a strainer, mash the berries to get all of the good juice out.

* I found some interesting information about Elderberry Syrup and how other people make it. Here are a couple of blogs with a ton of great Elderberry information: MrsSurvival,ModernAlternativeMamaNatural Herbs 101 (List of Medicinal Herbs Safe for Breastfeeding), Livestrong and JustPlainLivin.

I hope that this inspires you to use this natural remedy this cold and flu season. I know this is going to be a staple in our house from now on! Enjoy!

• musicpisces
    January 21, 2013 at 1:24 AM

I haven't heard about cinnamon for colds, but I use Traditional Medicinals Gypsy Cold Care Tea, and it's freaking awesome.  I throw in some local honey, and sip on that all day.  LOVE.  I swear it makes everything better, and the cold goes away pretty quickly.  DH just FINALLY tried it, and loved it.

• darbyakeep45
    January 21, 2013 at 6:51 AM

Hope you feel better soon though mama!

• SabrinaLC
    January 21, 2013 at 8:01 AM

I don't know that it will cure it, but it will probably shorten the duration.

I've never heard of this particular mix though so I can't really say how much of each.

• deedee3849
    January 21, 2013 at 8:34 AM

Yes, I've read it makes great wine! My dh used to make wine, maybe I'll have him try some!

Quoting cookinmommyof1:

I have an uncle who makes elderberry wine that could strip the paint from a car. Lol. The berries themselves are really good, though. And his grape wine is amazing. He grown and makes everything himself.

Quoting deedee3849:

Elderberry Syrup Recipe

What you will need:

5 Whole Cloves

1 Cinnamon Stick

2 c. Filtered Water

1 c. Raw Local Honey

1 Spoon

1 Colander

Directions:

• sununner36
    January 21, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Thank you will try this.  Does sound good even without a cold.

Quoting deedee3849:

Elderberry Syrup Recipe

What you will need:

5 Whole Cloves

1 Cinnamon Stick

2 c. Filtered Water

1 c. Raw Local Honey

1 Spoon

1 Colander

Directions: