Healthy Moms

MamaMandee
#10 of 22 Common Nutrition Mistakes
January 16, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Nutrition Mistake: Turkey Bacon vs. Pork Bacon

You automatically swap turkey bacon for the pork kind.

Result: Not always the hefty salt and fat savings you might expect.

We’re not trying to pick on the poor old turkey here, but bacon is a prime example of why label-reading is important. Pork bacon comes in smoky, super-thick, fatty slabs but also in naturally leaner center-cut slices; the latter can contain as little as 60 calories, 1.5g sat fat, and 260mg sodium per slice.

Turkey bacon also wanders all over the nutrition map. A slice of Jennie-O’s ultra-lean version is a nutrition bargain, at 20 calories, 0g sat fat, and 120mg sodium. But others can contain the same sat fat as center-cut pork bacon—and even  more sodium. 

What to do: If you like pork, choose a lean, high-flavor cut.  If you need less fat, find a lean, lower-sodium turkey product.

Replies

• darbyakeep45
    January 17, 2013 at 6:42 AM

I like regular bacon better than turkey bacon!

• SabrinaLC
    January 17, 2013 at 9:40 AM

I don't eat bacon anymore.

Well.. tempeh bacon, but that's not really the same, lol

• mp3mom
    by mp3mom
    January 17, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Great info.

Quoting MamaMandee:

Nutrition Mistake: Turkey Bacon vs. Pork Bacon

You automatically swap turkey bacon for the pork kind.

Result: Not always the hefty salt and fat savings you might expect.

We’re not trying to pick on the poor old turkey here, but bacon is a prime example of why label-reading is important. Pork bacon comes in smoky, super-thick, fatty slabs but also in naturally leaner center-cut slices; the latter can contain as little as 60 calories, 1.5g sat fat, and 260mg sodium per slice.

Turkey bacon also wanders all over the nutrition map. A slice of Jennie-O’s ultra-lean version is a nutrition bargain, at 20 calories, 0g sat fat, and 120mg sodium. But others can contain the same sat fat as center-cut pork bacon—and even  more sodium. 

What to do: If you like pork, choose a lean, high-flavor cut.  If you need less fat, find a lean, lower-sodium turkey product.

• ihave1
    by ihave1
    January 17, 2013 at 3:45 PM

I hate pork, not allowed to eat it either b/c I am Muslim.  So I do like turkey bacon.  tho I dont eat that either b/c it is not hala.    So I dont eat either. 

• ihave1
    by ihave1
    January 17, 2013 at 3:46 PM

What is  tempeh? 

Quoting SabrinaLC:

• SabrinaLC
    January 17, 2013 at 4:28 PM

fermented soy

Tempeh is made from cooked and slightly fermented soybeans and formed into a patty, similar to a very firm veggie burger.

Quoting ihave1:

What is  tempeh? 

Quoting SabrinaLC:

• ihave1
    by ihave1
    January 17, 2013 at 5:12 PM

um...  lol   not sure about that, for myself.   I do love veggie burgers tho.

Quoting SabrinaLC:

fermented soy

Tempeh is made from cooked and slightly fermented soybeans and formed into a patty, similar to a very firm veggie burger.

Quoting ihave1:

What is  tempeh? 

Quoting SabrinaLC:

Healthy Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts