cowgirls10181
running for weightloss tips wanted
January 13, 2013 at 9:58 AM
Im not a fan of running, but have been told it is best for calorie burning. My shins hurt when I run which turns me away from it more. Any tips or suggestions before spring begins, so should be running.

Replies

• musicpisces
    January 13, 2013 at 10:53 AM

If you're getting shin splints (likely what you're experiencing), there are a few things you can do (work on ALL of them):

Get better shoes.  Get to a running store ASAP and get into the right shoes for you.

Work on a midfoot strike.  I'm guessing you're heel striking, which puts a TON of pressure on your knees and hips, and you're using your tibialis anterior (the muscle on the front of your shin) to pull your foot up more than necessary while impacting it, which inflames the muscle big time, and it makes the muscle pull away from the bone, which is why it hurts like hell.

Work on a quicker, shorter stride.  Many people overstride, which often goes with heel striking (though not always).  Aim for 180 steps per minute.

I had HORRIBLE shin splints for the longest time, then I did these things, and I haven't had them since.

Also, when I started running, like you, I HATED it, but I knew it would help me lose the weight.  I was 250 lbs at the time.  Now I'm in the 160s, and I LOVE running!  Stick with it, give it time (it literally took me months to enjoy it).  You'll get there!  =)

• cowgirls10181
    January 13, 2013 at 10:58 AM
    Thanks ill give it a try.

Quoting musicpisces:

If you're getting shin splints (likely what you're experiencing), there are a few things you can do (work on ALL of them):

Get better shoes.  Get to a running store ASAP and get into the right shoes for you.

Work on a midfoot strike.  I'm guessing you're heel striking, which puts a TON of pressure on your knees and hips, and you're using your tibialis anterior (the muscle on the front of your shin) to pull your foot up more than necessary while impacting it, which inflames the muscle big time, and it makes the muscle pull away from the bone, which is why it hurts like hell.

Work on a quicker, shorter stride.  Many people overstride, which often goes with heel striking (though not always).  Aim for 180 steps per minute.

I had HORRIBLE shin splints for the longest time, then I did these things, and I haven't had them since.

Also, when I started running, like you, I HATED it, but I knew it would help me lose the weight.  I was 250 lbs at the time.  Now I'm in the 160s, and I LOVE running!  Stick with it, give it time (it literally took me months to enjoy it).  You'll get there!  =)

• armyvet06
    January 13, 2013 at 11:05 AM
    I may have to try this. I havent gotten shin splints but maybr it will help my hips. They hurt like a b every time i run.

Quoting musicpisces:

• musicpisces
    January 13, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Give it a go!  The added impact of overstriding really increases impact from the feet up (as does heel striking). 

Quoting armyvet06:

I may have to try this. I havent gotten shin splints but maybr it will help my hips. They hurt like a b every time i run.

Quoting musicpisces:

• mp3mom
    by mp3mom
    January 13, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Hi, I found this: 

http://www.livestrong.com/search/?mode=standard&search=running

Good luck!

Quoting cowgirls10181:

Im not a fan of running, but have been told it is best for calorie burning. My shins hurt when I run which turns me away from it more. Any tips or suggestions before spring begins, so should be running.

• cleanaturalady
    Kim
    January 13, 2013 at 6:02 PM

I am not a runner, so I will just give you encouragement and a bump. 

• mypbandj
    Jen
    January 13, 2013 at 6:23 PM
    I'm not a runner but dh is. He swears by stretching.
  • cmorris1200
    January 13, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Just remember you are going to do an exercise that you really enjoy.  If you don't like it then it is easier to find excuses.  I have tried running but haven't been able to stick with it.  I started skating last Wednesday and have already been 4 times and plan to go tomorrow and the next day.

• darbyakeep45
    January 13, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Yep, these ladies have the right ideas:)  Hugs and good luck mama!

• cowgirls10181
    January 13, 2013 at 7:11 PM
    Would love a skating rink! But there isnt one near us tell summer which is an old gym and its only open 1 day a week for 2 hours and packed with kids.. gald they have somewhere to play...

Quoting cmorris1200:

Just remember you are going to do an exercise that you really enjoy.  If you don't like it then it is easier to find excuses.  I have tried running but haven't been able to stick with it.  I started skating last Wednesday and have already been 4 times and plan to go tomorrow and the next day.