Healthy Moms

mypbandj
kitchenaid mixer
Jen
December 28, 2012 at 1:36 PM

I want something like one of these. I'm looking for advice....

where is the best place to buy them? (best price?) do they ever go on sale? Are they worth it? Is there a better option? 

Replies

• melaniecerise
    December 28, 2012 at 1:39 PM

we got mine at Walmart on sale for $199

• mp3mom
    by mp3mom
    December 28, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Every once in a while you might catch them on sale; nothing compares.

• darbyakeep45
    December 28, 2012 at 6:02 PM

I've never had one as I'm not a baker...bump!

• cleanaturalady
    December 28, 2012 at 10:25 PM

I happened to find one that had never been used, still in the box, at an appliance repair/resale shop.  It was a great buy - a 450.00 value for 150.00.  You might try Criag's list for a good buy on a slightly used one.  Honestly, I would read up on the models, the features, like bowl size and wattage, because they are not all created equally and it depends on how much and for what you are going to use it. 

• steffielou_who
    December 28, 2012 at 10:30 PM
    I have a Hamilton beach eclectrics mixer and after using my moms kitchen aid on Christmas, I would never own one!!! Idk! You have to like screw the bowl down... I don't like that! Mine is heavy duty steel as well and does just fine! I've had it for about 3 years!
  • LntLckrsCmQut
    December 29, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Quoting darbyakeep45:

It isn't just for baking.

• jenerica.
    December 29, 2012 at 12:47 AM

I bought the cheapest/smallest model (on sale at Macy's for a little over a $100).  It lasted just a little over a year before it just stopped working.  I don't know what is wrong with it.  But honestly, I prefer to use my cheap-o hand mixer.  The kitchen aid is so bulky and the mixing utensils don't reach all the way to the bottom of the bowl, and it's such a hassle to stop the machine, raise it up, remove the bowl, scrape the sides and bottom, then start it back up.  I'd rather just use my hand mixer.  Lol!  But to each their own!  I will say that the kitchen aid comes in handy when mixing dough or thicker recipes like marshmallow fondant.  Oh, and there's no better way to mix swiss meringue buttercream.  So I will probably invest in another one or get the one I have repaired.

• reneawesley
    December 29, 2012 at 11:20 AM

I love mine. I've had mine 7 years, it was a wedding present. I use it a lot when I'm baking. I've seen them on sale at target before. 

• Alyson121
    December 29, 2012 at 3:34 PM

I wanted a Kitchen Aide stand mixer but in 2005 they were like $599 for the larger sizes.  We bougth a Hamilton-Beach instead for about $299.  The Kitchen Aides are really discounted now.  I think you can get them for like $199 or so, depending on the model.  I've had my stand mixer, although not a Kitchen Aid, for sometime and have had no issues.  

I think they are worth the investment, especially if you do allot of cooking. Some one also said that you could buy them from QVC for a cheaper price, not sure if they still have that offer. 

• Alyson121
    December 29, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

Quoting darbyakeep45:

It isn't just for baking.

No but that's typically what allot of people use it for.  It was rare that i used mine for anything besides beating creams, eggs, doughs, etc. 

Healthy Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts