mypbandj
Why cut processed foods
Jen
December 27, 2012 at 11:11 AM

1. Processed foods are an illusion, often appearing to be healthy (with claims like low fat, low carb, vitamin fortified, no trans fat, contains omega-3s, etc.) when these foods are in fact the very thing making a lot of Americans unhealthy, sick, and fat.
  2. Coronary heart disease, diabetes, stroke and cancer – four of the top ten chronic diseases that kill most of us – “can be traced directly to the industrialization of our food” according to Michael Pollan.
  3. Making smarter (and sometimes more expensive) food choices now may reduce your healthcare costs later in life.
  4. Why would one want to eat a processed food-like substance that is scientificallydesigned to never rot?
  5. The food industry has proven that it is not very good at seasoning our foods by addingway too much salt, sugar, and/or oil to almost everything.
  6. When you eat white bread and other foods made with white flour (which is a highly processed version of wheat) you are basically consuming empty calories with far less nutrition than the whole-wheat or whole grain alternatives.
  7. It is estimated that up to 90% of processed foods* in the supermarket contain either a corn or soy ingredient in the form of an additive under a variety of different names. Now how is that for eating variety?
  8. Cutting out processed foods could lead you to experience a variety of personal health benefits such as having more energy, losing weight, improving regularity, or just feeling healthier overall.
  9. Rather than counting calories, watching fat grams, or reducing carbs for “healthy eating,” simply eat whole foods that, as Michael Pollan puts it, are more the product of nature than “the product of industry.” It certainly is less complicated.
  10. It just makes plain old sense to fully understand what you are eating, be able to pronounce everything on the list of ingredients (if there is a list), and know exactly where that food comes from…don’t you think?

*Statistic courtesy of a food scientist interviewed on the documentary “Food, Inc”

SOURCE

Replies

• reneawesley
    December 28, 2012 at 5:12 PM
    Thanks!
  • mp3mom
    by mp3mom
    December 28, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Love #10, especially ;)

• ZakkarysMom
    December 28, 2012 at 5:19 PM
    So how does one make their own pepperoni for pizza? Cheese? Pizza sauce? Are bagged or boxed noodles processed? If so how does one make their own noodles? Yes im sure its healthier. It does take time and costs more. In my opinion.
  • jenerica.
    December 28, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Quoting ZakkarysMom:

So how does one make their own pepperoni for pizza? Cheese? Pizza sauce? Are bagged or boxed noodles processed? If so how does one make their own noodles? Yes im sure its healthier. It does take time and costs more. In my opinion.

Processing your own food does take time, and can be costly.  But I think the idea is to eat less processed foods and more whole foods.  And as long as you purchase whole foods that are in season and on sale, instead of what you're hungry for, it can be very affordable.

• ZakkarysMom
    December 28, 2012 at 5:43 PM
    I want my kids and I to eat healthier. Its just really difficult. I have depression and am on meds. I still find myself exhausted and blah. I know a big part of that is what I eat.

Quoting jenerica.:

Quoting ZakkarysMom:

Processing your own food does take time, and can be costly.  But I think the idea is to eat less processed foods and more whole foods.  And as long as you purchase whole foods that are in season and on sale, instead of what you're hungry for, it can be very affordable.

• Basherte
    December 28, 2012 at 7:13 PM

There are lots of things that you can do for that. And yes having them put together the night before would help. I'm the same way when it comes to that kind of thing. Unless it's an every day thing, I kinda tend to forget as well. 

If ya want any ideas about stuff that you two could eat in the car let me know. I'll look up a bunch of stuff that I have around here and online for you. 

It's the least I can do and one less thing that you would have to have on your plate. You are a lot busier than I am. And as I type this, I'm about to take my son up for bed for the night. 

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

part of my problem is that i need stuff that i can eat in the car. or even that my 2 year old can eat in the car. we have all kinds of appointments and then i have a 1.5 hour drive to school at night a couple days a week. i do great as long as we are eating at home. maybe not the best of the best, but i'm pretty good about cooking at home. but those days that we are only home long enough to let the dog out and switch out gear kills me.  i need to be better about putting stuff together the night before for those days. :)

Quoting Basherte:

with a little planning it can actually cost you less to not buy that stuff.

I have been failing miserably with this. the planning part I mean.

baking a loaf of bread when you always have yeast, and flour, is kinda cheap and it doesn't take that long. About 10 minutes maybe to mix the dough, 60 minutes for it to rise, and then the 15 or so minutes for it to bake. 

You can do other stuff during that hour it takes to rise/proof.

Pizza is easier to make than it sounds... and is cheaper in the long run.

As long as you aren't getting the hamburger helper type stuff, you should be decent though. 

Hamburger helper is nothing more than a noodle, a meat, and a gravy. You can do that without all the calories and all the salt content. 

A friend of mine makes her own mac-n-cheese.. she buys noodles.. and then makes a bechemel sauce. I know I spelled the name of that sauce wrong. I apologize.

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

great info. unfortunately if you are busy and broke it's very hard to not eat processed foods. i have been failing miserably lately because of this.

• janitablue
    December 28, 2012 at 10:17 PM

interest website thank you

Quoting mypbandj:

go to this website 100 days of real food. I think it will give you some great ideas that are very do-able!

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

great info. unfortunately if you are busy and broke it's very hard to not eat processed foods. i have been failing miserably lately because of this.