Healthy Moms

Cafe AmyS
Do people with kids live longer?
December 7, 2012 at 12:08 PM

I saw this in The Stir - Do you agree?

Have Kids & Live a Longer, Healthier Life! (Stop Laughing Yet?)

Posted by Jacqueline Burt on December 6, 2012 

babiesI never expected to double over with laughter over something out of the "Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health," but, damn, this is funny: According to a recent study, couples who have children live longer, healthier -- and this is the kicker -- more sane lives than couples who remain childless. AHAHAHAHA!!! Oh, come on. If you're not cracking up right now, you don't have kids. Because every parent knows that the stress of raising children takes years off your life instead of adding more. More grey hairs, perhaps, but more years? AHAHAHAHA!!

Okay, maybe I'm being a touch over-cynical here. The numbers are pretty crazy, after all: According to researchers, childless men were twice as likely to die a premature death than fathers; childless women were up to four times more likely to die young than mothers! Yikes!

I guess this is good news for parents -- but maybe not such good news that you should go tossing your birth control pills if you don't have kids yet. The childless couples who participated in this study were struggling with infertility issues. None of them were childless by choice. Which means socioeconomic issues weren't taken into account, so who knows why the childless couples died first? Researchers suggested a variety of possible reasons for the earlier death rate, from substance abuse (swingin' singles spend more time in bars?) to depression (presumably over being childless?) to "physical conditions directly related to their infertility," but who knows, really?

As with most studies, I think there are two possible take home messages here: 1. If you have kids, good for you! You'll live longer! and/or 2. If you don't have kids, you can most likely ignore this inconclusive and flawed research.

Do you think people with kids live longer, healthier lives?

Replies

• cleanaturalady
    December 7, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Dude, my teenagers are actively and collectively trying to kill me. 

• CrazedMomof2
    December 7, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Hhahahaha

• mp3mom
    by mp3mom
    December 7, 2012 at 5:26 PM

I hope so!

• reneawesley
    December 8, 2012 at 1:16 AM
    I hope so also but not sure I believe it.
  • LindaClement
    December 8, 2012 at 8:24 PM

I think they're including some special categories of demographics: like hobos and winos and hookers and drug addicts and gang members... all of whom have much-shorter-than-average life expectancies which has nothing at all to do with the simple fact that they don't have children.

• Melissa823
    December 8, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Something has to be said for the fact that most of us with kids try to stay healthier and live less risky lives because of a sense of responsibilitiy to our children.

• mypbandj
    Jen
    December 8, 2012 at 9:40 PM

I have some friends who are my age (pushing 40) and they aren't married and they don't have kids and I think...I'm glad that's not me. I mean, if thats what they WANT - that's cool for them and all but for ME, I really wanted a family. I just can't imagine being happy without kids in my life. And I pray that my kids have kids too because I want to have lots of grandbabies as well. :)

• mypbandj
    Jen
    December 8, 2012 at 9:40 PM

LMAO

Quoting cleanaturalady:

Dude, my teenagers are actively and collectively trying to kill me. 

• mypbandj
    Jen
    December 8, 2012 at 9:41 PM

I dont' know but I bet a lot of those people are in the "have kids" category.

shrugging

Quoting LindaClement:

I think they're including some special categories of demographics: like hobos and winos and hookers and drug addicts and gang members... all of whom have much-shorter-than-average life expectancies which has nothing at all to do with the simple fact that they don't have children.

• LindaClement
    December 9, 2012 at 3:56 AM

Not the ones who die before they get around to it.

One of the largest cohorts of 'dead men' is in the 16-24 range, largely of violence and accident. Lots of them don't get around to having kids by then.

Quoting mypbandj:

I dont' know but I bet a lot of those people are in the "have kids" category.

shrugging

Quoting LindaClement:

Healthy Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts