Healthy Moms

Alyson121
Is Water in Your Food?
December 4, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Read an interesting blog post the other day about hydrating our bodies with the food we eat vs just drinking waterr.  Is your food hydrating?

Question? Which Is Truly More ‘Hydrating’ … 2 Pears Or 8 Glasses of Water?

Posted by on Nov 5, 2012

I found this question interesting, because it challenges an old assumption.

It is generally assumed that we are hydrated by the quantity of water we consume and not by the quality of it.

I suspect the best answer depends on the relative quality of the water in the pears and the relative quality of the water in the glasses (more likely plastic bottles).

I believe there is more to water than simply… H2O. The water found in a fresh pear is perfectly alkaline.

The water in a glass or bottle is processed and most likely acidic.

What is truly more ‘hydrating’ … 16 ounces of pure perfectly alkaline water or 64 ounces of fluoridated chlorinated tap water that has been sitting in a plastic bottle for 6 months collecting micro-toxins?

The 8 Glasses rule doesn’t work because it stresses quantity over quality.

And nature doesn’t get down like that.

I don't think man completely understands everything about water. I found the work of Masaru Emoto fascinating.

Replies

• Basherte
    December 6, 2012 at 1:56 PM

I agree. 

I've been saying this for a long time now. You also get water from other things that you eat and drink, so feel that it isn't necessary to drink 8 8ounce glasses of water a day. 

• mp3mom
    by mp3mom
    December 6, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Interesting.

• Alyson121
    December 6, 2012 at 8:50 PM

I'm starting to realize the same thing.  I just ate a HUGE juicy salad with red kale, pomegranate, pineapple, sprouts etc and i feel like a drank a TON of water.  I never thought about how hydrated my body felt after eating a bunch of fresh produce.

Quoting Basherte:

I agree. 

I've been saying this for a long time now. You also get water from other things that you eat and drink, so feel that it isn't necessary to drink 8 8ounce glasses of water a day. 

• Basherte
    December 7, 2012 at 7:23 AM

Now, I will admit that those that are out doing sports all day long and such need electrolytes. 

I like to drink smart water. It has electrolytes in it. I'll use this story to explain why.

I was working out in the sun all day long, (10 hour days, 6 days a week) while living in florida. Drinking a ton of water and constantly having to use the bathroom while still feeling tired, over heated, and my brain felt fuzzy.This is without drinking anything but water those days. So one day I see a smart water, and buy it. Thinking the worst case scenario is I still feel the same and learn not to spend that much money on water. I drank it. I had energy, felt refreshed, my brain was not fuzzy. I had a smile on my face because I was feeling that good. I didn't use the bathroom as often. 

I will drink smart water or vitamin water over anything else. vitamin water has flavors, but is water with no added sugar, but it does have vitamins in it. When I get sick I will go get a vitamin water for a few days and I get healthier a bit quicker than I would if I didn't drink it. I'm not saying it cures the common cold, but it does make me feel a lot better while I have the cold and helps me to get rid of the cold a lot faster.

And they taste really good.

Quoting Alyson121:

I'm starting to realize the same thing.  I just ate a HUGE juicy salad with red kale, pomegranate, pineapple, sprouts etc and i feel like a drank a TON of water.  I never thought about how hydrated my body felt after eating a bunch of fresh produce.

Quoting Basherte:

I agree. 

• LntLckrsCmQut
    December 7, 2012 at 2:14 PM

We eat a lot of foods that contain mostly water, such as cucumbers, pears, lettuce and watermelon.(There are many more) I believe it's best to stay hydrated by water AND food.

• Alyson121
    December 7, 2012 at 8:28 PM

I hate to be the one to tell you this . . Vitamin Water (and  the other Glaceau "water" products) are pretty much sugared water.  You probably felt better after drinking them because of the burst of sugared energy it gave you.  There's no health benefit to drinking them.

Truth About Vitamin Water

Quoting Basherte:

Now, I will admit that those that are out doing sports all day long and such need electrolytes. 

I like to drink smart water. It has electrolytes in it. I'll use this story to explain why.

I was working out in the sun all day long, (10 hour days, 6 days a week) while living in florida. Drinking a ton of water and constantly having to use the bathroom while still feeling tired, over heated, and my brain felt fuzzy.This is without drinking anything but water those days. So one day I see a smart water, and buy it. Thinking the worst case scenario is I still feel the same and learn not to spend that much money on water. I drank it. I had energy, felt refreshed, my brain was not fuzzy. I had a smile on my face because I was feeling that good. I didn't use the bathroom as often. 

I will drink smart water or vitamin water over anything else. vitamin water has flavors, but is water with no added sugar, but it does have vitamins in it. When I get sick I will go get a vitamin water for a few days and I get healthier a bit quicker than I would if I didn't drink it. I'm not saying it cures the common cold, but it does make me feel a lot better while I have the cold and helps me to get rid of the cold a lot faster.

Quoting Alyson121:

Quoting Basherte:

I agree. 

• Basherte
    December 8, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Nope.

I had other sugared drinks and never felt that good. There was a week where I drank either water or soda and still felt really run down.

Quoting Alyson121:

I hate to be the one to tell you this . . Vitamin Water (and  the other Glaceau "water" products) are pretty much sugared water.  You probably felt better after drinking them because of the burst of sugared energy it gave you.  There's no health benefit to drinking them.

Truth About Vitamin Water

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting Alyson121:

Quoting Basherte:

I agree. 

• Krysden
    by Krysden
    December 9, 2012 at 9:10 AM

No idea... I've always known that food has water too.  I still try to stick with the "at least 64 oz" rule though.  It just makes sense to me since there is no real way to measure how much you are getting from your food.

Healthy Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts