Healthy Moms

Amanda52007
I'm so excited!
December 3, 2012 at 9:56 AM

I found this online, where if once you cut off the green parts, you can put the onion bulbs in water and they'll grow back.

We eat SO much of them, I figured I would give it a try to save some money.

I cut these off last Thursday. And you can tell where they are growing! The white outter part is where I cut...so all the green is new growth!

Replies

• reneawesley
    December 3, 2012 at 9:59 AM
    Thanks for sharing.
  • Stacie03
    December 3, 2012 at 4:23 PM
    I have a vase of these in my kitchen window ATM. :) I have cut them probably 3/4 times now and they are still regrowing each time, so far.
  • darbyakeep45
    December 3, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Interesting...thanks for sharing!

• mypbandj
    Jen
    December 3, 2012 at 6:57 PM

That is so cool!

• Alyson121
    December 3, 2012 at 7:55 PM

awesome!!! Are these the green onions?

• Alyson121
    December 3, 2012 at 7:56 PM

So you just cut off little pieces when you need them? Do you have to  keep adding water? Do they need sunlight or do you  put them anywhere in the kitchen?

Quoting Stacie03:

I have a vase of these in my kitchen window ATM. :) I have cut them probably 3/4 times now and they are still regrowing each time, so far.

• Amanda52007
    December 3, 2012 at 7:59 PM
    Yes. I'm addicted to them. Lol

Quoting Alyson121:

awesome!!! Are these the green onions?

• Amanda52007
    December 3, 2012 at 8:01 PM
    I was going to ask the same question about cutting them.

You have to change the water often, or it will start to stink.

I put mine in a window seal with no direct sunlight. But maybe it does need direct sun, I don't know. Lol

Quoting Alyson121:

So you just cut off little pieces when you need them? Do you have to  keep adding water? Do they need sunlight or do you  put them anywhere in the kitchen?

Quoting Stacie03:

• Alyson121
    December 3, 2012 at 8:11 PM

I want to  buy some  green onions just to try it.  I pretty much us ALL the onion though.  The only part left are the tiny, tiny ends with those "hairy" tops.  Do you think it will work with just those?

Quoting Amanda52007:

I was going to ask the same question about cutting them.

You have to change the water often, or it will start to stink.

I put mine in a window seal with no direct sunlight. But maybe it does need direct sun, I don't know. Lol

Quoting Alyson121:

Quoting Stacie03:

• cmorris1200
    December 3, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Sounds cool!!

Healthy Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts