Healthy Moms

Alyson121
Do Your Onions Cry?
November 26, 2012 at 7:45 PM

I saw this on my FB time line and was like "aawww poor onion" LOL

Replies

• LindaClement
    November 28, 2012 at 6:31 PM

I hardly ever cry chopping onions... the more you do it, the less it affects you :D

• Alyson121
    November 28, 2012 at 6:36 PM

You have some very happy and "pretty" onions.  LOL!

Quoting LindaClement:

I hardly ever cry chopping onions... the more you do it, the less it affects you :D

• Basherte
    November 28, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Honestly what you want to look for is a full tang (meaning the blade goes to the end of the handle.) and one that can be sharpened. No serrated edges. You can have a bread knife with serrated edges, (you just can't sharpen them) 

then what you want to do is get a whet stone. And food grade oil for it. Read directions, and follow. Then follow what you know about sharpening them with the steel. The steel only takes off bures and loose metal shavings from sharening the blade, it does not sharpen it. Use that combination instead of one of the cheap, quick automatic sharpeners. You'll thank me later for not having one of those. 

Everything else is pretty much preference. 

I went to culinary school and got a set of knives from there.

You will need a chef knife. Everything else is want. I use my chef knife for just about everything. The ones that claim to not need to be sharpened are bullshit. Especially once you get a decent set of knives. I'll look it up and add it in an edit here in a minute. Okay?

Edit:http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Granger-14-piece-Cutlery-Block-Set/3892753/product.html?cid=202290&kid=9553000357392&track=pspla&adtype=pla&kw={keyword}

Something like that would be okay. It doesn't have to cost a fortune. Just make sure to stay away from sets that call the steel a sharpening stick. Because it doesn't sharpen. It just makes you think it's been sharpened. Trust me.

Quoting Alyson121:

Where do you buy GOOD knives?  I've been through so many dang knives, it's not even funny. 

Quoting Basherte:

Sharpen your knives.

We cry because the juice is flung back on us from the knives that we are using not actually slicing the onion but kinda squishing it. 

Sharpen the knives, and steel them as well to get off the burs of metal on the sharp edge. 

It will keep you from crying. I used to hate chopping onions, I would put a wet washcloth over my eyes and stick my head in the freezer for the longest time. I went to culinary school and ever since then I have yet to cry again. All because I steel my blades before use, and I keep them sharpened.

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

hahahahahah!!!!!! well i kind of sob when i cut onions. so bad that i plan recipes ahead of time and make dh chop them and put them in a tupperware for all my meals for the week so that i don't have to do it.

• Basherte
    November 28, 2012 at 9:15 PM

http://www.chefscatalog.com/category/cutlery/cutlery-sets.aspx

^that would work as well. I haven't gone through any to point any out to you. But I would trust these people. 

Something else you will need to know. Don't put your knives in a drawer all together. They will make each other dull by brushing up against each other and rubbing against each other. It's best to either keep them in a block or put a magnetic strip on the wall to hold them. 

Healthy Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts