Healthy Moms

rocky_mtn_mama
What are your thoughts when you see an obese person?
November 26, 2012 at 4:04 PM

I'll be honest, I'm overweight (some might say obese) myself.  I did however lose about 85-90 lbs a few years ago, I've gained much of it back though.

After I'd lost the weight I would always think to myself, I wish that person would go with me to Weight Watchers.  Or I'd think that the person shouldn't park so close to the doors of the grocery store (or mall or wherever).  

It seemed like I'd forgotten where I'd come from, in a way.  I don't like to be judged so I always felt bad "judging" others.

What do you think when you see someone with weight issues?

Replies

• CrazedMomof2
    November 26, 2012 at 4:10 PM

I don't. I don't know their story........... 

If someone came to me for help though I would do anything I could to help them.

• sonshining
    November 26, 2012 at 4:16 PM

I try not to judge also. Although to be perfectly honest, I have thought, "I hope they are looking into losing some of that weight." Now, with that thought said, I think it would be best for their overall health. Heart, blood pressure etc. ESPECIALLY if they have kids or grandkids. Much the same thought regarding people who are too thin though.

• jas_momof2
    November 26, 2012 at 4:19 PM

I don't think anything...  Unless they're in my way and then I'm thinking "Get the hell out of my way..."

• cleanaturalady
    November 26, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Lol, that's me too.  I am so in my own world sometimes I don't even notice people. 

Quoting jas_momof2:

I don't think anything...  Unless they're in my way and then I'm thinking "Get the hell out of my way..."

• cleanaturalady
    November 26, 2012 at 5:00 PM

I'll tell you something though, I was in shock when I found out that anyone with a BMI over 30 is considered obese medically.  I always thought of obesity as what it considered morbidly obese, like Honey Boo Boo's mom, for instance. 

• musicpisces
    November 26, 2012 at 5:10 PM
    In public, I tend not to judge too much (I have lost over 100 lbs myself), but as a nurse, I have a responsibility to talk to patients about it, which I try to do. I've had some patients respond well to me (better than to the RD working with them) because of my own experience, and acknowledgement of their struggles. There's always something behind it.
  • kitty8199
    November 26, 2012 at 5:16 PM
    Unless I'm a at a grocery store and they have a buggy full of junk, i don't think anything. If you're obese and have a cart full of coke, chips, cookies, meat, nothing healthy, i see why. I never make looks, never say anything, but know they brought it on themselves.
  • mp3mom
    by mp3mom
    November 26, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Honestly, the first thing I think is that they have a health issue.

• Alyson121
    November 26, 2012 at 8:08 PM

me too, i think health issues.

Quoting mp3mom:

Honestly, the first thing I think is that they have a health issue.

• EthansMomma2010
    November 26, 2012 at 8:09 PM

i always wonder their story. like my cousin was in an abusive marriage for 10 years. my highschool music teacher was a single mom trying to make ends meet and caught up in teaching and raising her son. but then i also wonder when they stopped looking in the mirror and seeing that something had to change! i know that my family is prone to obesity. i have worked my ass off since i was 12 to not become fat because i know this about my family.

Healthy Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN