darbyakeep45
Need some ideas - PIOG
November 18, 2012 at 6:43 AM

Brady's class is having a Thanksgiving party on Tuesday afternoon...I need to bring something for the kids to eat...any ideas?  Doesn't really have to be in the Thanksgiving theme but I'd like it to be.

These are special needs medically fragile children ages 3-4.  There are a total of 8 children and 4 teachers.  No allergies in either class.

Thanks ladies!

Replies

• Stefanie83
    November 18, 2012 at 8:06 AM
    I love this cornbread and its just as good without the cheese so I leave that out. (This is also what as use as the top when I make pot pie casserole. so good!)

http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2011/11/15/recipe-whole-grain-cornbread/
  • Stefanie83
    November 18, 2012 at 8:08 AM
    I make this with just potatoes, celery, celery seed, black pepper, oil and vinegar. Love it!!!
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/potato-salad-recipe/index.html
  • Stefanie83
    November 18, 2012 at 8:10 AM
    This is for the carrots I'm making for thanksgiving. Apparently I forgot to save the link and only copied the text lol. Im going to make double. I hope it's good. Sounds good to me!

-4 cups of baby carrots
    --1/2 cup of orange juice
    --2 T honey
    --1 T butter
    --1/4 t ginger (leave out)
    --1/2 t cinnamon
    --1/4 t each of salt and pepper

The Directions.

I threw everything in together and cooked on high for 4 hours. When the time was up, I stirred to distribute the spices.

Very easy. If you have a longer slot of time to fill, cook on low--checking at about 6 hours. I like my carrots al dente, without any mush---but I know a lot of people like them softer.

The Verdict.

These were perfectly cooked and the flavor was fantastic. There was a hint of sweetness without being too sicky sweet.

The kids gobbled them up eagerly.

This would be a great take-a-long to a family dinner, or to serve with a holiday meal.
  • BramblePatch
    November 18, 2012 at 10:50 AM
    Orange Muffins with Honey Butter. If you would like the recipe, let me know.
  • mp3mom
    by mp3mom
    November 18, 2012 at 7:01 PM

I thought these were cute.

Gobble, Gobble

For these turkey treats, spread a dollop of vanilla frosting on a round cracker. Place a chocolate kiss near the bottom of the cracker. Add candy corn pieces above the kiss for the turkey feathers. Spread a small amount of frosting on one side of another candy corn piece and "glue" to the top of the kiss for the beak. Let frosting dry, then attach a caramel square to the back of the cracker with frosting to help the treats stand upright.

BH&G

• mp3mom
    by mp3mom
    November 18, 2012 at 7:07 PM

These, too; you can skip the name. Oh, on the top one, you could skip the carmel & use another Kiss. 

Take Your Places

Gather your kids in the kitchen to bake up a batch of these turkey place card cookies. Let kids help cut out the hand-shape cookies and decorate them with colorful candies. Then write your guests' names on the cookies with frosting to use as place cards on theThanksgiving table.

• mypbandj
    Jen
    November 18, 2012 at 10:27 PM
    I vote for those cute turkeys above!
  • darbyakeep45
    November 19, 2012 at 5:17 AM

These look awesome!  Thanks so much for the idea!

Quoting mp3mom:

I thought these were cute.

Gobble, Gobble

For these turkey treats, spread a dollop of vanilla frosting on a round cracker. Place a chocolate kiss near the bottom of the cracker. Add candy corn pieces above the kiss for the turkey feathers. Spread a small amount of frosting on one side of another candy corn piece and "glue" to the top of the kiss for the beak. Let frosting dry, then attach a caramel square to the back of the cracker with frosting to help the treats stand upright.

BH&G

• SabrinaLC
    November 19, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Those turkeys are super cute! I'd go with something like that!

• Krysden
    by Krysden
    November 21, 2012 at 4:20 PM

What did you take?